Yogurt?

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone feed their cat plain Greek yogurt instead of giving probiotics? And does it really help with diarrhea? Thanks

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
When Charlie was a kitten, he had some soft stools, and the vet recommended giving him a little bit of plain yogurt. As far as I remember, it did help. Most yogurts have live and active cultures, so they’re similar to a probiotic. I would recommend asking your vet to see what they think would be better. Did your kitty have an appointment about the diarrhea? If not, I would definitely advise you to make one. There can be multiple causes for cats having diarrhea, including intestinal parasites, so it’s best to get it checked out.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think yogurt is OK, but just tiny amounts are probably all that is needed. I was mixing a single tsp. of plain yogurt into some meat baby food and everybody seemed to like it. I did that for a number of nights.

I had just finished a week long dosing of an anti-parasite med called metronidazole - which I was expecting to kill their natural flora. It has taken about a week for things to firm up around here.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with probiotics instead for long term as there tends to be sugar and other ingredients in yogurt cats don't need much of.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:

Yogurt also tends to have one or two strains of bacteria and not a very high CFU count which won't help with something like diarrhea.

S. boulardii is helpful for diarrhea. There is info here on page 9: Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones