Yoghurt With Raw Food?

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey,
I saw some recipes on youtube adding some Plain Greek Yoghurt to their cats' raw diet.
Is that safe? would it alter the balance of the diet ?

I am asking 'cause I think my kitten loves it and it would be good to add to the diet. But I think the dairy products are vulnerable to be poisoned faster than other products.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While some kitties enjoy dairy products, it can cause digestive issues, like diarrhea. It would be best to not continue to give your kitty any milk or other dairy products. (Cow milk is for baby cows, and only baby cows, until they're weaned.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:

Plus some brands of yogurt may contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is harmful to dogs and cats.

Cats like a lot of things that they think are tasty but might not be good for them: plants, chocolate, what's in the trash can, etc. It's your job as a responsible pet owner to keep no-no foods and items away from your cat. Here's a list of foods to keep away: People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets The list does mention raw meats and bones. Raw diets aren't recommeneded by the ASCPA and many vets because it's too easy for a newbie to feed an unbalanced diet and sometimes bad meat can cause illness. But if you source your meat from a reputable place and follow a good recipie such as the Catinfo.org recipe, there is very little risk to your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While some kitties enjoy dairy products, it can cause digestive issues, like diarrhea. It would be best to not continue to give your kitty any milk or other dairy products. (Cow milk is for baby cows, and only baby cows, until they're weaned.)
I know that and for that reason, I don't give him any dairy products. What I give him is kitty milk and I'm trying to wean him, and plain greek yogurt which I read once it's ok if he gets it every like 3 days once and only greek yogurt ,nothing else.
isn't it safe ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

Plus some brands of yogurt may contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is harmful to dogs and cats.

Cats like a lot of things that they think are tasty but might not be good for them: plants, chocolate, what's in the trash can, etc. It's your job as a responsible pet owner to keep no-no foods and items away from your cat. Here's a list of foods to keep away: People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets The list does mention raw meats and bones. Raw diets aren't recommeneded by the ASCPA and many vets because it's too easy for a newbie to feed an unbalanced diet and sometimes bad meat can cause illness. But if you source your meat from a reputable place and follow a good recipie such as the Catinfo.org recipe, there is very little risk to your cat.
thank you, I don't see 'xylitol' written in the ingredients.would that mean it's safe?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to differ with the previous posters and say that a little bit of plain, unsweetened, unflavored Greek yogurt isn't going to cause any harm as an occasional treat. But a little dab, as in a teaspoon or two a few times a week, and not a large amount daily.

Greek yogurt has some lactose, but it's much lower than other dairy products. If the kitten has diarrhea from it, then obviously stop offering it. On the positive side, Greek yogurt may offer some natural probiotics...good gut bacteria.