Yikes!!!

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A while ago I was trying to get Oliver to go back outside and he wouldn't budge. All of a sudden I here an...the only way I can describe it was an unearthly sound.
It sounded animal-like but nothing like I've ever heard. FREAKED me out a bit.
We live in near downtown of a Major US City so it's not like we are in country where one might hear strange large animal noises!! Let's just say Ollie is staying in tonight.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Describe the sound a bit. Though, even in many US cities coyotes have moved into some outer parts. There's also birds that can sound very weird.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Could it have been a raccoon? Like coyotes and foxes, they seem to feel at home in large cities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I listened to the audio of the grey fox and it was similar. I discovered that SA has them on the far NW side of town (about 8-10 miles away maybe a bit farther) but I'm about a 1/2 mile/mile to downtown. I haven't found anything on them migrating down here.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread reminded me of when I came home from school one day when I lived in NJ, and met up with my 2 cats in the driveway. Tried to get them to come inside, and they froze in place and wouldn't budge an inch. I was trying to push one of them towards the stairs at the front door when I followed his gaze.

There was a massive Rottweiler in my yard, just laying there!!! I scooped up both cats and hauled butt into the house! It was still there when my mom came home. One of the neighborhood dogs, as I'd seen someone walking him before, but I wasn't taking any chances leaving my kitties out there or approaching it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LotsO'Cats

I listened to the audio of the grey fox and it was similar. I discovered that SA has them on the far NW side of town (about 8-10 miles away maybe a bit farther) but I'm about a 1/2 mile/mile to downtown. I haven't found anything on them migrating down here.
I work right in the center of a city (pop. 600,00) and occasionally run into a fox on my way from the train station to work. At home, I see them at least once a week in winter walking down our street or in our yard.

They're probably in downtown SA.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen coyotes in the alleys in Dallas, and on the streets and sidewalks in Houston and San Antonio. They DO attack and eat cats and small dogs. Maybe it's time for Oliver to become an indoor cat?

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep I'm from San Antonio! I wasn't born here but have lived here most of my life.

Originally Posted by stephanietx

You live in San Antonio?!? That's my hometown!

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know what's funny is I've never seen any wild animal other than a skunk or possum in the city limits. Maybe because I've always lived on the southside of San Antonio. I know the far northside gets all sorts of wild animals because it's part of the hill country...anyway.

I do plan on moving him inside as soon as I can get him fixed.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I've seen coyotes in the alleys in Dallas, and on the streets and sidewalks in Houston and San Antonio. They DO attack and eat cats and small dogs. Maybe it's time for Oliver to become an indoor cat?