Yikes, badly matted fur

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Snickers is somewhat adventurous, and after a roll in a pile of ash, she headed straight to the bathtub for a drink... so now she's got a few near-solidy mats. Is there anything I can do?

I've heard olive oil works, but I don't have any atm... won't go to town till tomorrow (work).

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not suggest oil of any kind.  In fact quite the opposite usually works to release mats.  Get some powdered corn starch and work it into the mats and leave it for several hours or overnight.  Then you can often use a round toothed metal comb (a comb called a Greyhound comb works best as teeth are far apart at one end and close together aqt the other) and you may be able to break up the mat using the few teeth of the comb at one end and then comb through it starting at the outside of the mat and working through it.  The corn starch soaks up the excess oil and helps the hairs slide past each other and untangle.  It is edible so totally safe for her to lick also.  It's also a good "dry shampoo" to use if your cat gets food or grease in its "bib" (chest hair" after eating. Rub in the corn starch, let it sit for a little while (10-15 minutes) and then comb out with a flea comb -- the cornstarch will form little balls with the oil and it will remove the oil as you comb it out. 

Last edited:

steve0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
iI'm up to any suggestions. Will try anything.
He looks like he has a wing forming there.
Feel so bad! Darn it
This is a 2 handed world. Was going to sedate him, but don't want to harm him/STILL WORKING ON IT

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You really need to get it out. Mats pull badly on cat skin that is like tissue. Get a friend to help if needed.
This is a good way, How to De-Mat Your Cat

Eventually a groomer or vet. My almost 17 year old kitty had chest mats and I took her to a groomer to have her shaved. She got a bath too, and was soooo happy!

Last edited:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had never heard of using cornstarch for mats before reading this. I was very excited to try it but wouldn't you know it, miraculously Keith is mat free at the moment. :yess:I can't believe I'm now waiting for one of those dreaded mats to show up so I can try cornstarch.:dizzy:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Spirit has horrible mats and I’ve been shaving him bit by bit (he only tolerates a little at a time) but I’m willing to try anything. He’d probably prefer cornstarch to the shaver and scissors. So would my Java, who’s finally mat-free after many sessions with the comb and scissors.

steve0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ya know all your suggestions are great! I can only use 1 arm since a brain injury drastically changed my life in 1980. Still have no clue how to solve this problem.
Perhaps, a sedative. Shoot i can't even take them to the vet! The've been 1 time when the were small. That was 6 years ago..
Am really close to these guys. Cannot get any help from APL or anywhere else. I am at a loss. The hair is getting in my eyes, breathing way too much of it. Its floating everywhere...
Wish I could manage this w/out asking for assist feel like a bum. REMEMBER This world is for 2 handed peeps. There's no other answer
These two guys i rescued from a feral commune. They still are very jumpy if anyone comes in my house, They hiss and growl then run and hide.They trust me to a point. I feel terrible for these guys and promised i'd be their steward for life... :'o/

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
steve0 steve0 - You could start a new thread of your own about this, but I see you did that in 2018...

What have you been doing all this time to keep them from getting matted?

All I know to suggest is if any of your friends you come over, start trying to get your guys acclimated to them. And, then after a while, perhaps they could help you with getting them brushed. Use this article with your friends:

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

Also, you can try a vet/vet tech that does in-home visits - not only for aide with getting rid of the mats but to also perform a check up. You can try calming products, such as Bach Rescue Remedy, which are drops you rub into a cat's ears to help calm them. Many people use these before taking a cat for a vet visit. Not all calming products work on all cats, so you might have to experiment with a few to find one that works for your guys. You can do a search on the internet using the words 'cat calming products' to see how many different ones there are.