Yesterdays episode with 2 day old kittens

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I contacted several members here by private message to get a quick answer to this situation that I found myself in and I am very grateful for their help! I finally now have the time and energy to type it here as I want to relay this and get it off my chest so here goes....

I got a call at 9:30 Saturday morning from Virginia, the woman that I got Sylvester from 4 years ago. She lives in a small row home in Allentown, PA., very narrow streets, little crowded back yards, noisy, not the best area, but she has a heart of pure gold and tries to take care of not only 4 cats inside her house but many strays, she has little homes and huts outside and does the best that she can. We in the past had the Cat Shack do some TNR over there but after that first time they didn't go back, they seem to think that she is very "difficult" to work with, she doesn't drive, she doesn't have much money, her son Frankie isn't very ambitious with helping with these cats, so they don't seem interested in helping her. She has called many other TNR places but most don't call her back, so she is in a bad situation as they just keep coming and coming over there, I have taken several from there to the vet that the Cat Shack did say they would get someone to foster, one got adopted by a vet tech, another is still being fostered but they are at least off the streets. Well, for the last few months she has told me that she was afraid if someone didn't do TNR there would be kittens and there are, she called yesterday and told me that a cat had 2 kittens two days ago and for some reason the neighbor woman picked up the small dog house that they were in, took them into her house and said "I'll take care of them, I know what to do", but then yesterday morning Virginia saw the kittens in a small box in the yard, the mother cat was there but ran off, didn't eat, was probably traumatized by the whole thing, that neighbor should've left them alone of if she took them in she should've taken care of them, ugh.....:censored: :angryfire: So I called a woman from the Cat Shack that had helped us and me in the past and she already knew about it, Virginia had called Perkiomen Animal hospital who called this woman and she texted another woman at the Cat Shack and told me the best thing we could do was to put the kittens back and leave them alone and hopefully the mother would back so I took another little plastic dog house over with a blanket in and we put these two little helpless things in it, the were so small and cute, crying, it made me so upset, but I told her let them alone and watch for the mother. That is when it worried me, these kittens hadn't eaten in hours, I thought they might die without milk, so I bought some kitten replacement milk and was taking it over as she said that she had a syringe and had tried to feed them Carnation milk and water, my thinking was she could at least feed them outside in the dog house and then leave them alone and watch for the mother, if she showed up again great, if not she could at least feed them and possibly care for them inside the house and we could then try to get them fostered. But when I got there she said "they're coming to pick them up!" and I said "who is?" and it was someone from another local shelter Peaceable Kingdom that said they had someone to foster them, so she told them to come over. I was there when the man took them, very nice fella and he thanked us for taking care of them but I thanked him for doing this, we were both at a loss about it, she made the decision and it was hers to make not mine, so that's how it went. I was then concerned if the mother cat would come back frantically looking for the kittens but a decision had to be made quickly, they were cold despite having blankets and they were screaming for food, this way they hopefully will survive and the mother cat will accept it I hope, so I called and left a message with the first outfit the Cat Shack explaining what happened, that someone from the other place got in contact with her and took them, and last night I got an email from them saying the news was "devastating to them" and "you should've just left them there for the mother" and "they probably wouldn't survive" etc so any sense of doing good and helping quickly turned into me being upset again and ticked off, they never called her or me to communicate with us, the other place did, we were both very concerned about their welfare as they hadn't had milk for many hours etc. so I held my anger in check and responded so in a responding email and asked them "how long do you think they would've lived without any milk?: and the answer I got was "it depends, each situation is different. Hopefully Peaceable Kingdom can take care of them and they survive".

So there it is, I talked to Virginia and as of around 8:00 last night the mother cat did not return, and she had been a "regular" eating there, probably so traumatized thanks to the idiot neighbor sticking her nose in and disrupting things. She is going to watch for her, and I told her to call PK and ask them IF she does return and Virginia can catch her can they be reunited? I don't know, it doesn't hurt to ask. But at least this way if they do survive they will be fostered and off the streets of Allentown, I saw the shape Sylvester was in when I got him and it made me cry, so anytime we can get these help we will try. I know it is so very difficult to do TNR and this time of year is so crazy busy for these organizations, but it would take a MAJOR TNR effort to clean this situation up but more cats just keep showing up all the time, she maybe shouldn't feed them but she can't do that, it would break her heart of gold not to try to help.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I know that I will most likely be involved in more things like this in the future, but if it weren't for her I wouldn't have my baby boy Sylvester, plus I know these little creatures need help.

Thanks again to those who helped me via PM!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry but the only input I have for you is to thank you so much for helping this lady and those kittens, as well as all the other cats, including Sylvester, that you have helped. You are an inspiration to all of us cat lovers!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry but the only input I have for you is to thank you so much for helping this lady and those kittens, as well as all the other cats, including Sylvester, that you have helped. You are an inspiration to all of us cat lovers!!!
Thank you....they need help and so does she, she really can't do too much as far as TNR with them, her son isn't much help, I remember how he dragged his feet when I was trying to adopt Sylvester, I guess he just doesn't see the urgency about it or maybe doesn't want to get involved I don't know, so she is basically alone. I do what I can, and yesterday Deb said "you're her Guardian Angel" and I said "she was Sylvester's Guardian Angel". :rbheart:

Thank you for the kind words, it helped my mood and decision about things! And today it is right now 48 degrees and damp and raining out at 12:45, how do you think they would've survived in that dog house if the mother didn't come back?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for Virgina to put up a fence? Even a chain link one with a padlock to keep the nosy neighbours from disturbing the structures?
She has one in the little backyard, but there is a "Baker's alley" between the homes that anyone can come in through the gate, she'd have to lock that but I guess it could be done.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
These are such painful situations and you did everything to the best of you ability...so much of working with ferals amounts to doing the best you can and then being able to move on from there.

All I can add, without going into the story, is that I did have a mother cat return after her kittens were gone. I don't know how long she would have returned, but it was long enough to trap her. I also had another mother cat return to the place where she had given birth which was in a now locked car through no one's fault. What gave it away was her return to the spot, so hopefully this mother will return as well.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Virginia left me a message about 3:30 and said that she didn't see the mother cat last night or today, she has a camera out back since they were robbed awhile ago but said she never returned, so obviously those two little things would've died. She will watch for her everyday, but she didn't return yet, Deb is hoping that the neighbor didn't poison her or do something to her!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night Virginia said the mother cat finally came back and ate like before, she tried to pet it and pick her up to bring her into the house but she wouldn't let her, probably traumatized yet because of the idiot neighbor taking her and the kittens inside, but she at least is back and eating, she is going to try to play string toy with her and maybe get her, we don't know if they can be reunited but she will try.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Les, you have such a kind heart. Those kittens would have surely died without your help, thank you. the best solution would be to trap mama and reunite them all, I pray that happens. But if not, the kittens are given the best opportunity they would have right now. You did what you could and will be blessed for that.......

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Les, you have such a kind heart. Those kittens would have surely died without your help, thank you. the best solution would be to trap mama and reunite them all, I pray that happens. But if not, the kittens are given the best opportunity they would have right now. You did what you could and will be blessed for that.......
Thank you......and Virginia too, she has very little money yet has 4 cats inside and counts about 11 outside that she feeds and has shelter for, I wish she could win the lottery as she would surely open a shelter she says! She also was told of another TNR place locally that hopefully can help her soon, the ones we talked about did some over a year ago but she needs more help with this issue now again.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope one of those would help her with TNR and get those cats neutered. Things like that can quickly get out of hand. One day you have 11 cats, the next, 30!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope one of those would help her with TNR and get those cats neutered. Things like that can quickly get out of hand. One day you have 11 cats, the next, 30!
I talked to a woman at this TNR place today, she said she thought they were already helping her but I think she is thinking about someone else, but she told me to go to the Humane Society website and fill out a form for Virginia and also to text her information to her and she thinks she might be able to have someone go out there next week! We'll see....

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if humane societys in that area do this or not but if they have a barn buddy program maybe some of the ferals could be placed on farms for rodent control if there are too many around or the neighbours are an issue.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well this outfit came today already and trapped two cats so that is a start! Virginia left me a message and she said there are two cats that look like each other so she doesn't know if they caught the mother cat or not but they'll be able to tell if she is full of milk and just had kittens. They are going to call her tomorrow, so we'll see if it is her but they were true to their word and it is a start!