Yellow liquid with something like a hairball

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
I woke up this morning to find some yellow liquid with something like a hairball in it, I don't know if Skye ( my cat) actually threw up or if she peed outside the box (I've never seen how her pee looks like other than on a clump in the litter box) I'm worried... she is acting completely her self, eating, drinking, playing. Them I noticed she peed in the litter box but very small clumps, this happened about a year ago and she was diagnosed with "Stress Cistitys " she was put on medication but.... did not tolerate it so, the vet put her on prescription diet "Royal Canin Multi Function SO/calm" I'm scared that she's having another episode. What should I do? I can't get her to be seen by a vet today, All vet clinics are closed around me.
The yellow fluid has No smell at all ( that's why I don't know if it's actually pee or not)
Thank you!!

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That does indeed look like a hairball to me. Usually tubular wad of hair in a yellowish liquid. Sometimes there might be a couple of just liquid throw ups before they finally get the hairball up. And it isnt unusual for a cat to have less of an appetite for a day or so while they are getting ready to cough out one.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That does indeed look like a hairball to me. Usually tubular wad of hair in a yellowish liquid. Sometimes there might be a couple of just liquid throw ups before they finally get the hairball up. And it isnt unusual for a cat to have less of an appetite for a day or so while they are getting ready to cough out one.
Thank you, thank you so very much for your reply. It's the first time I see it.. I wasn't sure if it was yellow liquid or pee.( it didn't smell at all)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree - hairball. And, for some reason, or at least with Feeby, the hairballs are generally coughed up with liquid - rarely food. Since the liquid didn't smell like urine, it probably wasn't urine. Just keep an eye out on her urine output for the next few days and see if it seems within her normal range. Also, look for whatever other signs she demonstrated before with her previous episode.

If you don't give her anything for hairballs, you can try feeding her a dab of butter/margarine from your finger, or on her paw, to lick off. A couple of times a week should help her to digest the hair instead of coughing it up. Regular brushings help with that as well.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I agree - hairball. And, for some reason, or at least with Feeby, the hairballs are generally coughed up with liquid - rarely food. Since the liquid didn't smell like urine, it probably wasn't urine. Just keep an eye out on her urine output for the next few days and see if it seems within her normal range. Also, look for whatever other signs she demonstrated before with her previous episode.

If you don't give her anything for hairballs, you can try feeding her a dab of butter/margarine from your finger, or on her paw, to lick off. A couple of times a week should help her to digest the hair instead of coughing it up. Regular brushings help with that as well.
Thank you! When she was diagnosed with stress Cistitys it was around this time last year when I was gone for almost the whole summer ( she was home with my husband)... she's very very attached to me so I don't know if ecause it's summer time and we go out she thinks and getting stressed out because she thinks I'm leaving again?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Stress cystitis can happen with any 'out of the ordinary' change to a cat's routine environment. I doubt she can correlate the time of year to what happened last year, but hey - who knows! ;) Have you thought about trying Feliway diffusers just to see if they would help calm her? They don't work on all cats, but some they help with adding a calming effect to their environment.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stress cystitis can happen with any 'out of the ordinary' change to a cat's routine environment. I doubt she can correlate the time of year to what happened last year, but hey - who knows! ;) Have you thought about trying Feliway diffusers just to see if they would help calm her? They don't work on all cats, but some they help with adding a calming effect to their environment.
Yes, I have feliway plugs but I'm not sure if it's helps... I plugged them back today so I'm hoping it works for her.
Thank you for your reply, you are always helpful 😊