Yellow Liquid "dewormer" Given W/vaccines

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not entirely sure where to post this but my veterinarian gives a yellow liquid dewormer with yearly vaccines, this led me to believe it lasted all year but on Facebook in a cat group I'm told no dewormer lasts all year and most for worms need followed up in 2 weeks, despite whatever it is is only given yearly. I'm going to ask specifically what it is now but am curious if anyone's vet also does this with yearly vaccines? And, yes no need to inform me that some vaccines don't need done yearly, some lasting 3+ years or longer, which I've learned via research but I'm just referring to when I have (I'm taking my cats to another vet that carries the 3 yr rabies which my vet doesn't).

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, dewormers aren't really necessary unless your cat has parasites.
So, I think, giving him/her a dose yearly is probably a form of prevention from the vet?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does he give the liquid de-wormer, by mouth? Yeah, roundworms have to be treated again after 2 or 3 weeks to kill the eggs that hatch. My vet recommends de-worming every 6 months, but some websites recommend every 3 months.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Vaccines are considered more effective after a cat has been wormed (ideally a week or two before the cat is inoculated), which is why your vet did that. An indoor/outdoor cat would normally be wormed again two weeks later if it was the first time. It's usually recommended that a cat that goes outdoors be wormed every three months, and an indoor-only cat before its annual boosters.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not entirely sure where to post this but my veterinarian gives a yellow liquid dewormer with yearly vaccines, this led me to believe it lasted all year but on Facebook in a cat group I'm told no dewormer lasts all year and most for worms need followed up in 2 weeks, despite whatever it is is only given yearly. I'm going to ask specifically what it is now but am curious if anyone's vet also does this with yearly vaccines? And, yes no need to inform me that some vaccines don't need done yearly, some lasting 3+ years or longer, which I've learned via research but I'm just referring to when I have (I'm taking my cats to another vet that carries the 3 yr rabies which my vet doesn't).
The yellow dewormer is probably Pyrantel. It kills roundworms. With an adult cat, I see no reason to routinely deworm for roundworms unless a stool sample shows they are present. Kittens are almost always born with roundworms so a deworming routine is good for a young'un, but I do not routinely do adults. Rather than deworm automatically on your annual visit, I recommend bringing in a stool sample to have your vet check it for parasite eggs, then if necessary, the proper medication can be given.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, yellow liquid by mouth. Also, my vet gives the dewormer the same exact day as the vaccines though? My cats are indoor only, except one but I don't allow free roaming. Sometimes I take him out, the only one that accepts a harness, but not often because it encourages him attempting to get outside and he'll cry at the door for a few days after if I can't take him out again (rain etc). Hasn't been out in a few years now though actually.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pale yellow dewormer is Strongid/pyrantel.

I think vets do that just because that's usually the only time most cats see the vet so he might as well give them some dewormer just because once a year is better than nothing. But yeah, I think American vets frequently don't emphasize the importance of routine deworming for outdoor cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just beginning to question and wonder about what is 100% necessary for indoor only cats. If anything, if I start taking my one outside again, I'd have him wormed more often, therefore he then won't give my others worms. Though I'm not entirely sure the other solely indoor only cats need it every year, as long as the one that goes outside is kept up with deworming.