Yellow cat poop?

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Being an IBS sufferer for years, I understand that yellow poop usually means that it went through the digestive system too fast.  I don't know if that can happen to cats or not.

Pumpkin has had poop issues since I got him last year but overall he's getting better.  He's on lactulose and laxatone.  Pumpkin prefers eating dry food to wet....getting him to eat wet has been a struggle but I am winning....sort of.

The vet suggested adding water to his dry food, which works.  I have a dish of wet food, a dish of dry and a dish of dry with water added, plus broth from his wet food.   Sometimes he likes his special "soup" without broth, just water added.

Anyway, for the past week or so Pumpkin has been having yellow-looking poop.  Sometimes it has shades of brown, esp. on the outside of the stools.  But lately it's just a weird shade of yellow.  Not sure why, unless it's his dry food.  I switched to what I thought was a better quality dry food - one is for urinary tract health and the other is digestive health.  Plus some regular Meow Mix mixed in as he's always liked that.  It's a special blend he seems to like alot.

Sometimes his poop is soft, but oftentimes it's firm.  He's had both kinds in the same bowel movement. 

What can cause yellow poop in a cat?  Could it be his medicine?  Could it be his dry food?  Sometimes he'll pick through it and I'm wondering if he's eating what he prefers and tosses the rest?  You should see his dining mat when I tidy it up!  :)

His appetite is good.  He's urinating good.  Only one other problem - he threw up the other day.  Not sure why, unless it's because he was eating too much too quick, which he's done in the past.  One of my aunt's cats had the same problem....if she ate too quick or too much she'd hurl.

Pumpkin is not throwing up today.  He's acting normal.  I'm just curious as to why his poop is yellow and is it cause for concern?  He's going to the vets for his annual checkup in a couple of days.

Thanks for your advice!

furmom101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are right - Yellow stools from a cat means it went through the digestive system to fast.

What brands other than meow mix are you using? Have you tried giving him some canned pumpkin (not pie filler)?

You say this started about a week ago, did you switch his foods then?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Being an IBS sufferer for years, I understand that yellow poop usually means that it went through the digestive system too fast.  I don't know if that can happen to cats or not...

Sometimes his poop is soft, but oftentimes it's firm.  He's had both kinds in the same bowel movement

What can cause yellow poop in a cat?  Could it be.......

I'm just curious as to why his poop is yellow and is it cause for concern?
There's a superbly reliable and trustworthy website that offers both a short and a longer/fuller 'Cat Gut 101' course......are you up for that?

Some extracts:
The stool also contains bilirubin which comes from spent red blood cells, cells that have outlived their life span. Bilirubin is excreted in the bile. Bile is a greenish color and bilirubin has a yellowish hue. The gut bacteria change the yellow of bilirubin to the characteristic brown color of feces. We notice the yellow of bilirubin when.........

http://www.felineconstipation.org/poop.html
 The color of stool may provide clues. In the poop chapter, we saw that the normal brown color of stool is due to gut bacterial action on bilirubin. Bilirubin comes from spent red blood cells and is delivered to the gut in bile. Bilirubin has a yellow hue and if the stool passes too.......

http://www.felineconstipation.org/whatgoeswrong.html
You'll find the answer within those pages....if you want the fuller understanding, this is the best place to start: http://www.felineconstipation.org/introduction.html

lvictoriam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you give canned pumpkin to a diabetic cat? He has developed yellow soft stools within the past 3 months. He has been diagnosed as diabetic for around 4 years. How much should I give him?