Yeast Infection On Dog Paw

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know what it is about this part of California, but my dog's body doesn't like it. He's had more problems here than ever before. Now we get to deal with over-excited yeast between his poor toes on his left hind paw. Does anyone have any experience with home treatment?

I don't want to go to the vet unless I absolutely have to because I need to buy more flea and heartworm meds for my cat and dog (which means mandatory checkups to get the prescriptions), get yearly blood work for my old kitty, and buy textbooks for the upcoming semester. Everything always has to happen all at once apparently.

Beast is still acting normally, no limping or anything, but he keeps licking that paw and it's red and a little swollen between his toes. I started doing daily 5-minute iodine soaks yesterday (so he's had 2 total treatments) but it doesn't seem like it's been helping at all. He always tears up his pads running around the yard and falling up the stairs so I don't want to do a vinegar or hydrogen peroxide soak because it'll hurt.

Do I keep doing daily iodine baths? Should I do it multiple times a day? 5 minutes is about as long as he's willing to soak his feet for so I can't really increase duration. Is there an ointment or something I can use? I've been trying to keep his feet dry but it's the rainy season here so there hasn't been a dry day in a hot minute. Everything is wet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
What about a bootie for that foot?

There's a chamomile tea wash that could (possibly?) help, it's antifungal and antibacterial.
Brew a cup from the little baggies (not loose leaf) cool it and swab it on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've tried booties on him before because he's really good at hurting himself, but it doesn't help. I like the idea of chamomile tea!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I can find the tea (it's weird up here. Things that are common everywhere else are impossible to find here) I know he's going to try to drink it. Then he's going to go all psychotic and start bouncing off the walls. Demon dog pictures are sure to come!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you swab it on with a qtip or cotton ball, would that help?

The tea is also a calming drink (at least for most LOL)

@Mamanyt1953 as the resident tea expert, what do you think :)?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems to be centered around 1 or 2 toes on that foot, not the entire foot. Maybe It's more likely to be a bug bite?

Attachments

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He did step on a wasp a couple years ago. That yard got absolutely covered in wasps every summer. As soon as he stepped on it he screamed bloody murder and fell over. He laid on the ground whining with his paws in the air until I carried him inside and gave him cuddles to make it all better. His paw didn't swell much at all. An angry bee darted out of a bush that same year and stung his leg. His leg didn't swell at all, but he did scream his head off when the stinger was removed. A spider bit his ankle once (it also bit my ankle) and it was definitely angry looking.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try regular black tea (should be easy to find, and cheap too!). It has antifungal properties. Honey is also antifungal so add a bit of honey if you have some around. Make it extra strong; 2 or 3 teabags per cup and steep it for a long time. Of course make sure it's cooled down enough before you stick his paw in it.

Also check out his food. Sugar feeds yeast and some dog foods have a lot of sugar. Beneful and that semi-moist beef food (I forget the name) are the most common high-sugar foods, but there are others too so read the ingredient list really well.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is Lipton black tea? I found a few bags lying around.

I feed him Zignature turkey. I don't think it has much sugar in it. The only unhealthy thing he gets is treats from the Petco treat bar that my mom got him for his birthday. He gets one treat at night. She always gets him some on special occasions and it hasn't caused any major issues, just slightly softer poop until we work through them and he goes back to not having crap in his diet. Would too much apple be a problem? He gets a little piece of apple pretty much every day.

Zignature turkey ingredients:
Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, Pea Protein, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Citric Acid), Flaxseed, Natural Flavors, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Beet Pulp, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Selenium Yeast), Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12), Lactic Acid, Blueberries, Carrots, Cranberries, Calcium Iodate, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It doesn't say green tea on it! I'll make tea, soak his paw in it, then do the iodine soak after the walk tonight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:thumbsup:

I wonder if you could cut back on the apple for a week or so, just to test whether it makes a difference?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two of the treats he was given from the treat bar are on Petco's website.

Animal Snackers:
Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Hydrogenated Vegetable Glycerides (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Ammonium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Natural & Artificial Vanilla Flavors, Natural & Artificial Butter Flavors, Dried Whole Eggs, Dried Corn Syrup.

Chicken flavored joint support heart dog treats
Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Chicken Meal, Chicken Liver, Cane Molasses, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Garlic, Egg Product, Salt, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate.

This looks like A LOT of sugar.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For the last 2 years his bedtime treat has been the Wet Noses Organic Dog Treats from Costco.

Ingredients:
Organic rye flour, organic canola oil, organic cane molasses, organic peanut butter, organic banana puree.

His paw problem started when he was eating the Petco treats instead of these though, so I don't think getting one Wet Noses treat a day is a problem for him. Maybe the Petco treats just have way more sugar?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He has red patches on his inner thighs now and he's itchy :(looks like I may need to buy an antifungal shampoo. On the bright side, he hasn't chewed on his foot all morning.

I had gotten rid of his itchiness by cutting out pork, and now stupid sugar and yeast brought the itch back.

New plan: bath (I know it probably won't help without antifungal shampoo, but it's a start) then tea soak. Iodine soak after walkies.