Yearly shots

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do all of you with indoor cats get your cats shots and a check up every year? Just curious what everyone does!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. A yearly check is a must regardless of age IMO. The vet may be able to notice subtle things that you might not notice, especially internally by listening to the heart and lungs and palpating the abdomen. Vaccinations are debatable. Some people do not get their cats vaccinated after the kitten shots. Most US states require a rabies vaccination for cats and dogs.

Current feline vaccination guidelines (2020) and downloadable client brochure Feline Vaccination Guidelines | American Association of Feline Practitioners

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine get a yearly check up, but not vaccinations. My vet is not a fan of annual vaccines after their kitten series and first rabies unless you foster, travel with your kitties, or allow your kitties to go outside. We don't do any of those things. Also, 2/3 of my crew has some kind of compromised immune system (asthma, tummy problems) and she does not recommend vaccinating any cat that's not 100% healthy. If we had a rabies outbreak or something like that, then we could test and vaccinate based on the results, if need be.

I do have an outdoor kitty that's a community cat that we are responsible for. He does get yearly vaccinations.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mine get semi annual check-ups with bloodwork because they are seniors. They only get rabies vaccines because they go to the groomers now and then and it's required for that, however they did get others until they were a couple years old.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get a yearly check up, but not vaccinations. My vet is not a fan of annual vaccines after their kitten series and first rabies unless you foster, travel with your kitties, or allow your kitties to go outside. We don't do any of those things. Also, 2/3 of my crew has some kind of compromised immune system (asthma, tummy problems) and she does not recommend vaccinating any cat that's not 100% healthy. If we had a rabies outbreak or something like that, then we could test and vaccinate based on the results, if need be.

I do have an outdoor kitty that's a community cat that we are responsible for. He does get yearly vaccinations.
I was told vaccines are required by law in texas.maybe I'm wrong.it is highly unlikely but possible they will get loose and bit by a critter with rabbies. .01% chance of that happening

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current cats (2 and 3 years old) get a full blood work done every 6 months, along with a check-up.
I used to do the same thing with my previous cats too. One of them was checked 4 times a year because of her CKD.

As for the vaccine shots, my vets say that in the first two years the shots must be annual. This because the immune system needs some close boosters in order to work effectively. After the first two years, some vaccines (RCP) can be done every 2 or 3 years according to the manufacturer's directions. Other vaccines (FeLV and rabies) must be done annually.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was told vaccines are required by law in texas.maybe I'm wrong.it is highly unlikely but possible they will get loose and bit by a critter with rabbies. .01% chance of that happening
Rabies is the only vaccination required by law. My vet will provide a statement if anyone asks. Also, she did say that IF there was ever an outbreak or something like that, then we could test to see how much of the vaccine remained in their systems and vaccinate accordingly. 2/3 of my kitties have compromised immune systems. Our outdoor kitty does get annual vaccines, except he gets the 3 yr rabies shot.