Xylitol (poisonous to cats) being substituted for sugar in gabapentin

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some pharmaceutical companies are now substituting Xylitol for sugar in gabapentin. be sure to check your specific prescription before you give it to your pet. It is also dangerous for cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:

Gabapentin is a Human medicine so that is why some pharmaceuticals are using xyiltiol as a sweetener. The medicine is used off label for veterinary use.

I found this on the Wedgewood Pharmacy web site:

The human oral-solution of Gabapentin contains xylitol, which should be avoided in veterinary patients.

Both links in KFlower's post also mention liquid gabapentin possibly containing xylitol. If your pet uses liquid gabapentin, call the vet and ask about the specific formulation of the medicine and whether it contains xylitol or not. The vet may not know off hand but can get that info. If the medicine was compounded at a pharmacy, call and ask.

I don't think gabapentin pills / capsules / tablets are flavored in any way but it's a good idea to check with the vet anyways.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some pharmaceutical companies are now substituting Xylitol for sugar in gabapentin. be sure to check your specific prescription before you give it to your pet. It is also dangerous for cats.

[/URL]

[/URL]
Can you post a veterinary citation about xylitol being dangerous for cats? I have only found the opposite on all the sites I've visited. Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Xylitol is known to be toxic to dogs. See:

Abstract Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association

Xylitol appears to not have a similar toxic effect on cats but a drastic drop in blood glucose levels can occur and that can still be deadly it not immediately treated.

It would be best to avoid giving xylitol to cats to be on the safe side.