Xarelto (rivaroxaban)

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

my cat louie is a ragamuffin mix with severe HCM,
He sees his cardiologist regularly and has been taking 1/4th tab of plavix, anticoagulant , for almost a year
His most recent eccho revealed the mild start of a clot forming .... his vet suggested trying Xarelto and I wanted to see if anyone has used this medication or any experience with it.
Ive read some papers on it- its an anticoagulant thats relatively new for animals
I know about its human use.
Thanks all.. and please send positive bibes for my kitty- I do everything for him :(

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your kitty.

I have not had any personal experience with Rivaroxaban but have heard of its use in HCM patients. Unlike Plavix, which inhibits platelet formation, Rivaroxaban inhibits fibrin formation. Fibrin helps stabilizes the clot.

Unfortunately, as you have probably learned, there are no specific therapies for HCM. However, if your kitty has been diagnosed to be in congestive heart failure, a diuretic like Furosemide may help.

Sending you and your kitty well wishes!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much!
Sorry about your kitty.

I have not had any personal experience with Rivaroxaban but have heard of its use in HCM patients. Unlike Plavix, which inhibits platelet formation, Rivaroxaban inhibits fibrin formation. Fibrin helps stabilizes the clot.

Unfortunately, as you have probably learned, there are no specific therapies for HCM. However, if your kitty has been diagnosed to be in congestive heart failure, a diuretic like Furosemide may help.

Sending you and your kitty well wishes!
Yes, my kitty was diagnosed with HCM last year when he had a heart failure ( he showed no signs prior to that :( ) and has been taking furosemide, plavix, atenolol for a year now...
His recent vet visit is what prompted a change to xarelto ... its extremelyyy pricey (240$ for 15 tablets) but ... I want him to have the best chance:(