X large litter box- longer

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need a larger, longer box for Fred's room. I have one of my smaller stainless steel but everyone is using it and he and merlin push litter everywhere and sometimes poop falls out at the end. I found a 28” ss on amazon but it is only 4” deep. I worry it is too shallow.
Are there any similar that are 6” deep and that long for big cats? Like MC etc or larger?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I need a larger, longer box for Fred's room. I have one of my smaller stainless steel but everyone is using it and he and merlin push litter everywhere and sometimes poop falls out at the end. I found a 28” ss on amazon but it is only 4” deep. I worry it is too shallow.
Are there any similar that are 6” deep and that long for big cats? Like MC etc or larger?
I got this from my local shop that sells all sorts of plastic containers and boxes and I got this for my boy. Not sure if you can find one like this over at your country.
I removed the wheels so that the box won't roll about.

L31xB21xH10

IMG_5428.jpg

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I had bought this for my cats since Sammy and Jasper are fairly large boys and Sammy has a tendency to 'pee' out of the box if it doesn't rise up enough. They seem to do well with this, though I bought another and took the lid off and noticed they seem to prefer peeing without the lid, soooo there is that.

1660178972544.png

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure of the policies here regarding posting stores/websites, but you can easily make your own very easily. I bought a 30.5 in. L x 19.5 in. W x 18.5 in. H storage bin at one of the big box hardware stores - their brand, for $12.89. Used a 6 inch folding jab saw. I cut an entry into the storage bin and then sanded down the edges where I cut. This makes a perfect big litter box and cheap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got this from my local shop that sells all sorts of plastic containers and boxes and I got this for my boy. Not sure if you can find one like this over at your country.
I removed the wheels so that the box won't roll about.

L31xB21xH10

View attachment 428932
Prolly but I dont want to use plastic. I prefer ss for cleaning etc usually. How long is that one? Never mind saw it is 39”. 😀

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure of the policies here regarding posting stores/websites, but you can easily make your own very easily. I bought a 30.5 in. L x 19.5 in. W x 18.5 in. H storage bin at one of the big box hardware stores - their brand, for $12.89. Used a 6 inch folding jab saw. I cut an entry into the storage bin and then sanded down the edges where I cut. This makes a perfect big litter box and cheap.
Sounds good. My guys will not use the hooded ones anymore etc.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had bought this for my cats since Sammy and Jasper are fairly large boys and Sammy has a tendency to 'pee' out of the box if it doesn't rise up enough. They seem to do well with this, though I bought another and took the lid off and noticed they seem to prefer peeing without the lid, soooo there is that.

maybe I should try mine without the lid.

View attachment 428933
I have one like that and no one uses it 😹 I really just need a box that is bigger. Made of ss. One of them I have is a bit bigger. And has a plastic for the side that’s the only thing they will use like that now. It is about 23” long and ss.

I will try it without the lid.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wonder why they pee etc. at the edge a lot. Maybe they will do the same with a longer one 😹

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a plastic baby bath bought for the purpose in the 70s! Good high sides, only thing to note is that if you’re using very lightweight litter and someone steps on the edge, they will tip the whole lot over. I put a concrete paver in the bottom to weigh it down, now.

Oh and yes, they do still manage to pee (and do squirty poos) over the edge. It’s a skill. :p

C816551B-842D-4916-A7E0-47BFF70CCDD8.jpeg

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something with a lid might help.

Nobel is the lower end of MC as he's only half and he still manages to pee out the side sometimes. We put some velcro sticks on reusable pee pads outside the box

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something with a lid might help.

Nobel is the lower end of MC as he's only half and he still manages to pee out the side sometimes. We put some velcro sticks on reusable pee pads outside the box
Reusuable pee pads? I use the throw aways around he outside of the box on the floor. But only change them if they get used or dirty etc.

my guys will not use the hooded ones etc now. Or the one with the lid… I have one in the garage that still has a hood I think Quinn is using it occasionally maybe, he’s only one. I was really hoping I can get them to use the one where they have to jump in it with the top, but they don’t like it. Quinn did use it twice when I first got it to claim it as his though 😹

He was using a cat genie which is like a toilet bowl that I have but as soon as I set up merlins box with the regular litter he never uses it. Merlin has never used it.

It was heaven, no scooping of pee and I would scoop the poop out and flush it down the toilet, he only poops once a day tiny little well formed poops.

I was hoping to train them back to that but it just never happened and now with zena and fred I don’t know what’s going to happen,.. I am spending a lot of time scooping and sweeping etc. like several times per day/ night. Both Merlin and Zena got runs from some dry food we were trying. Making a big mess etc.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My female tortie has decided that standing and peeing is a thing. 🙄 She doesn't mark in the house thank God, but I got a covered box, which my cats use but I don't think they love.
Of course I can't find a photo of what I saw months ago, but someone online had bought a very large storage tote, kept the lid on, cut a hole in the side and somehow rigged a night light bulb inside and set the box in there. I don't remember if they lined the bottom of the storage tote with a hunk of PVC or that plastic stuff that looks like wood, but it looked easy to wash or hose off. It was also technically covered, but not so covered that dust and cramped space was a problem. And the lid on top apparently made it really easy to clean.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Reusuable pee pads? I use the throw aways around he outside of the box on the floor. But only change them if they get used or dirty etc.

my guys will not use the hooded ones etc now. Or the one with the lid… I have one in the garage that still has a hood I think Quinn is using it occasionally maybe, he’s only one. I was really hoping I can get them to use the one where they have to jump in it with the top, but they don’t like it. Quinn did use it twice when I first got it to claim it as his though 😹

He was using a cat genie which is like a toilet bowl that I have but as soon as I set up merlins box with the regular litter he never uses it. Merlin has never used it.

It was heaven, no scooping of pee and I would scoop the poop out and flush it down the toilet, he only poops once a day tiny little well formed poops.

I was hoping to train them back to that but it just never happened and now with zena and fred I don’t know what’s going to happen,.. I am spending a lot of time scooping and sweeping etc. like several times per day/ night. Both Merlin and Zena got runs from some dry food we were trying. Making a big mess etc.
The ones with the whole in the top become difficult for them as they age so I've never tried one.

I do find that if something is going on with them that they prefer the lid off here. But you have many boxes so they are perhaps just using their prefered space or box type.

I got one of those mats with the large holes and it catches quite a bit of litter. We also purchased this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08G16H7KH/?tag=

But we did not install the divider so that we could push the box to the back and put a pee pad down in front. (We just got reusable ones from the pet store and we hand wash them, soak in boiled water and dry outside.)

We still sweep a frequently.

I prefer to be able to keep an eye on their habits, as it lets me know if Nobel's FLUTD flares up or constipation...so I'm afraid I'm not much help with any ideas that don't involve scooping 😅

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
My boy is a corner pee-er. Not sure why but I guess he's used to peeing in corners in the outdoors before he was rescued.
man idk, lol. Sammy is a corner peer and he was never outside a day in his life XD He just likes the corner i guess lol

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female tortie has decided that standing and peeing is a thing. 🙄 She doesn't mark in the house thank God, but I got a covered box, which my cats use but I don't think they love.
Of course I can't find a photo of what I saw months ago, but someone online had bought a very large storage tote, kept the lid on, cut a hole in the side and somehow rigged a night light bulb inside and set the box in there. I don't remember if they lined the bottom of the storage tote with a hunk of PVC or that plastic stuff that looks like wood, but it looked easy to wash or hose off. It was also technically covered, but not so covered that dust and cramped space was a problem. And the lid on top apparently made it really easy to clean.
What a beautiful box 😻 unfortunately I think it would just make more work and there’s no room for it. And my guys would not use anything covered now etc.

I would just have to clean it outside and inside the box anyway. I looked up reusable pads because I had never heard those for cats / dogs but I used the human ones and they were terrible. The disposable ones you can just throw away as needed and no smell lingering issues etc.

I will just try the 4” deep x 28”” long giant stainless box I saw prolly. There is a plastic divider that comes with one but I think it will just make more work- the litter will splatter around it etc. and have to be swept anyway so it’s a waste of time.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
man idk, lol. Sammy is a corner peer and he was never outside a day in his life XD He just likes the corner i guess lol
A large ferret litter worked great for Lily because of that 😂
The young boys use it for poos now.... I was going to buy a different one for them but now I don't want to change it up because they use it.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Prolly but I dont want to use plastic. I prefer ss for cleaning etc usually. How long is that one? Never mind saw it is 39”. 😀
You’re lucky your cat will use a stainless steel litter box. Cats don’t like the feel of metal when scratching the litter.

I buy cheap plastic storage bins from Wally World. They usually go several months before they start stinking of urine. When they do, I toss it in the trash and put out a new one.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re lucky your cat will use a stainless steel litter box. Cats don’t like the feel of metal when scratching the litter.

I buy cheap plastic storage bins from Wally World. They usually go several months before they start stinking of urine. When they do, I toss it in the trash and put out a new one.
That is interesting, all of my boys will use the stainless.. I do have some plastic ones too. I hate that they smell eventually and to toss them maybe.. but if you keep them cleaned well they can last quite a while too. Actually I have two that get used still one is 2-3 years old at least and ok and the other I got recently as a spare which was very cheap and has handles, on amazon, so it can be transported etc and it is light weight. A litter genie one I got on a special and on subscribe and save, handles on each side and open. I have to clean it, Quinn likes that one with the sustainably litter.

Last edited: