Wrestling with my conscience.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our next door neighbor has a cute little cat, named "Pikachu" and they don't seem to be caring for him very well and we both, Casper's Girl-Human and myself, feel pretty upset about it.

Pikachu is a little, brown and white bi-color. He's about a year old and he's a real cutie! They got him for their kid, about ten years old.

Recently, Pikachu has been left outdoors all night long. We often hear him meowing to get inside at 3:00 a.m. A couple of times, he was left out in the rain, all night long, during a thunderstorm. We feel really, really sad for Pikachu!

When I asked the mom why they leave their cat out at night, they said that he's a "little brat" and doesn't behave. That sounds like bullshit to me! I think they just don't know how to take care of a cat! What the heck!? He's still a kitten, for cryin' out loud! Of COURSE, he's going to act up! That's what kittens do!

One day, Pikachu showed up with his ear clipped. The mom said that they got him neutered but, with a clipped ear, I think he got TNR'ed by accident. I've never heard of a TNR organization clipping ears on owned cats if a human brings it in. Is that true?

Both Girl-Human and I feel like Pikachu needs a new home where he'll be taken care of. Winter will be here soon and a cute, little guy like Pikachu shouldn't be left out in the cold.

We would both love to take Pikachu in but our lease only allows us to have one cat and we have to pay an extra $25.00/mo. for the privilege. (Which I am happy to pay.) If I could, I'd just open the door and let him in. Our cat, Casper, probably wouldn't like it, at first, but I'm sure he'd like to have a cat-brother once he gets used to it. Regardless, it's not an option. :ohwell:

So... Here I am sitting here, by the computer, listening to Pikachu crying to get in and I'm thinking that I'd like to make him "disappear."

By that, I mean that I'd like to find him a new human who will take good care of him then scoop him up in the middle of the night when nobody is awake and take him to his new home. If the neighbor asks where he went, I could just shrug my shoulders and say, "I dunno'...Maybe the coyotes got him?"

What if the coyotes DO get him? I'd feel sick if that happened! :bawling:

I don't want to call Animal Control because, around here, stray cats get sent to the pound and, if they aren't adopted, they can be destroyed. (We do have one no-kill shelter and a couple of cat rescue groups but Animal Control can put down strays if they aren't adopted.)

Yeah, I know that it would be wrong to do that but I can't help thinking about making Pikachu "disappear" to a new home where his humans will take care of him.

What do you think?

Last edited:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Aunt has a Indoor out door cat. After her spat they clipped her ear on request. That way if anyone else picks her up.they know she's been spayed.

I would say if you can find this cat a good home then do so. Its kinda clear the current owners are clueless and dont really care about him. I know I would find a good place for him to go and then pretend I didn't know a thing or say I saw someone else take him away. If the kid asked I would tell them something comforting but not incriminating just in case it got back to the parents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a single mom with a ten year old boy. Good kid. He's old enough to understand but that's not the main problem.

Let's just say that there would be a couple of angry bikers at my doorstep if word got out.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you considered talking to the neighbor and asking if you could have Pikachu? Maybe they'd agree to sell him to you for a small fee and then you can bring him to his new home? If you feel like you'd risk dangerous consequences, it's probably not a good idea to steal him to rehome him. Being honest but courteous might benefit you here. Express your worries to the neighbor, tell them you're concerned about the coyote population. I get how easy it is to lose your temper in situations like this, but the kinder you are in how you word things with them might help. Whatever you chose, I wish you the best of luck =(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would and have.....ALL of my present indoor cats were my neighbors and I was sick of burying them as they crossed the street and how hungry they were. I spayed the little female after two litters, found homes for the rest, and took in two boys. I told him I spayed the female and he just shrugged, saying, I just keep them around for mousers. He could have cared less I took them in. I have a feeling your neighbors are the same, to leave a kitten outside to defend itself is horrible, I know what I would do!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have done all of the above ranging from offering to purchase animals to simply spiriting them away in the night. You have to do what fits the situation for you, but I hope that one or the other solution will present itself. If there is no way to just take the cat, meaning that you will be found out and be in trouble, I would offer to buy him. Make up a story about someone who wants a cats, you grew up with a cat who looked just like him, etc. I did this once with a dog who was being abused across the street from my work. No way could I have just grabbed the dog and ran off, plus they would have reported me to my employer. The downside to being honest though is that once they say that you cannot buy the cat, you become prime suspect number one if the cat goes missing. Can you gauge your neighbors? Are they more "you can't have our pet who we love even though we leave him outside to be killed" types or are they more "he's a nuisance, thank heavens someone wants him"? You can really only play that card one time.

However, I have just taken in needy cats who were in danger from having an incompetent owner. I have said this before, so some of you can probably stop reading. At my other house, my neighbor used to bring cats from his sister's ranch in TX to be mousers.....in the foothills filled with mountain lions and coyotes. Some did not survive their first night. My GSD at the time found one on my wall and I simply brought her inside....for the next 17 years. Another one he asked me to baby sit while he went away for a long weekend, so no way I could just take it. When he got home I told him it had FeLV which I could tell because I was so experienced with cats and that it would be better off with me. He dropped the kitten like a hot potato.

If you brought the cat inside briefly while you figured out what to do, can your neighbors see into your windows or can the cat be secured in a room that they don't see?

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our next door neighbor has a cute little cat, named "Pikachu" and they don't seem to be caring for him very well and we both, Casper's Girl-Human and myself, feel pretty upset about it.

Pikachu is a little, brown and white bi-color. He's about a year old and he's a real cutie! They got him for their kid, about ten years old.

Recently, Pikachu has been left outdoors all night long. We often hear him meowing to get inside at 3:00 a.m. A couple of times, he was left out in the rain, all night long, during a thunderstorm. We feel really, really sad for Pikachu!

When I asked the mom why they leave their cat out at night, they said that he's a "little brat" and doesn't behave. That sounds like bullshit to me! I think they just don't know how to take care of a cat! What the heck!? He's still a kitten, for cryin' out loud! Of COURSE, he's going to act up! That's what kittens do!

One day, Pikachu showed up with his ear clipped. The mom said that they got him neutered but, with a clipped ear, I think he got TNR'ed by accident. I've never heard of a TNR organization clipping ears on owned cats if a human brings it in. Is that true?

Both Girl-Human and I feel like Pikachu needs a new home where he'll be taken care of. Winter will be here soon and a cute, little guy like Pikachu shouldn't be left out in the cold.

We would both love to take Pikachu in but our lease only allows us to have one cat and we have to pay an extra $25.00/mo. for the privilege. (Which I am happy to pay.) If I could, I'd just open the door and let him in. Our cat, Casper, probably wouldn't like it, at first, but I'm sure he'd like to have a cat-brother once he gets used to it. Regardless, it's not an option. :ohwell:

So... Here I am sitting here, by the computer, listening to Pikachu crying to get in and I'm thinking that I'd like to make him "disappear."

By that, I mean that I'd like to find him a new human who will take good care of him then scoop him up in the middle of the night when nobody is awake and take him to his new home. If the neighbor asks where he went, I could just shrug my shoulders and say, "I dunno'...Maybe the coyotes got him?"

I don't want to call Animal Control because, around here, stray cats get sent to the pound and, if they aren't adopted, they can be destroyed. (We do have one no-kill shelter and a couple of cat rescue groups but Animal Control can put down strays if they aren't adopted.)

Yeah, I know that it would be wrong to do that but I can't help thinking about making Pikachu "disappear" to a new home where his humans will take care of him.

What do you think?
I wonder if the tipped ear means the owners took advantage of free/low cost neutering by claiming the cat was feral. (I don't know if that is a thing but just wondering.)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The neighbor did say that she (or her mother) went to some place that does TNR to get Pikachu fixed becasue it was cheaper. You might be right about them claiming the cat was wild. Knowing them, I wouldn't put it past them.

Pikachu has been meowing outside our apartment building almost every night since I last messaged. Every time, I feel like just going outside, getting him and bringing him in. If it gets cold out, I might. If it gets colder than usual or sooner than usual, I just might "disappear" him but, as of now, I think I might build a little shelter for him and put it on my back porch so that he can, at least, have a place to stay warm.

There is a private/non-profit cat rescue group, nearby. One of these days, I think I'll stop by and talk to them to see what they have to say.

If I have reason to believe that Pikachu is in danger or might be getting sick, I will make him disappear even if that means he has to live in the basement until I can find him a home.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
KK...here's my thought. Doing what is right by the family and doing what is right by the kitten are diametrically opposed here. How to choose, what to do? ACT ON BEHALF OF THE INNOCENT WHO HAS BEEN GIVEN NO CHOICE IN THIS. Protect that kitten. Get him inside, in a bathroom, if nothing else, and slip him silently away to a rescue group.

I am wracking my brain for friends in PN who might want a kitten...

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't tell the rescue group your whole situation -- they are very unlikely to recommend someone commit a crime, even if it's in the animal's best interest, since their business license could be at risk. That said, I would for sure let him into my house at night; I don't know what constitutes "pet ownership" in your jurisdiction but I'd treat it as "occasional pet-sitting" and not worry about the lease. Speaking of legalities, you could check if your municipal code requires cats be indoors (even just at night); some city ordinances state any roaming cats are subject to be picked up by AC, so you could tell your neighbor you're just letting him inside to prevent him being taken to the pound. You could also come up with a traumatizing close-call story, like you saw a car swerving to hit him and were deeply worried about his safety from there on out.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of legalities, you could check if your municipal code requires cats be indoors...
Yes, I live in a borough that does have an "Animals at Large" ordinance. I have read it and it does include cats, specifically spelled out. (Livestock, too.)

Under that ordinance, any official of the borough has the right to take an animal that violates the ordinance and keep it for three days. If the animal's owner comes to claim the animal within that time, they pay a fine, per the ordinance, plus the cost of feeding the animal. If the owner does not claim the animal within three days, it goes to the pound and, then, it's up to the rules of the animal shelter to decide what to do.

There are two main animal shelters in this area. One is the "regular" shelter and the other is a non-profit that has a contract with the county government to take animals at a set price, per case. The non-profit is a no-kill shelter but the main shelter is not. Basically, it all comes down to circumstance or pure chance as to which shelter takes a lost or stray animal.

There is also an "Animal Noise" (or "Barking Dog") ordinance which also includes cats and livestock.

If an animal makes noise for more than thirty minutes, the owner is held responsible. IIRC, there is a "three strikes" provision in that ordinance. The owner gets a written warning on the first two offenses and is fined on the third.

Now, it is possible that the "Animal Noise" ordinance could trigger an officer to investigate the area and, if he finds Pikachu, meowing outside, the cat could be taken under the "Animals at Large" ordinance if the owner can't be located.

However, if somebody did come, I'd make sure that they know who owns Pikachu.
If I knew that trouble was afoot, I'd certainly whisk Pikachu indoors and put him in the basement until the coast is clear.

If I thought I could get away with it, I'd find Pikachu a new home.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What do you think?
i say just help him vanish to get away from that house of neglect its not like that family will miss him

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others. If I were in your situation I'd secretly whisk little Pikachu away and find him a more loving and caring home, and not like this. It always breaks my heart when there are cats who have owners but lock them outside due to "misbehavior". It's a cat, for heaven's sake! I am feeding a tuxie cat now with a collar so i know there is an owner out there but I do not know who. Everyday he comes he gets dirtier and dirtier. If until before the winter arrives and he still eats and sleeps at my terrace I'd bring him in for good and find a new owner for him. He is a very sweet cat. I am worried he'd get hurt if he continues to be outside most or all of the time.

Thank you for your concern for little Pikachu. I do hope he'd be in a better home soon.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been recording his daily/nightly crying? That way when you bring him inside you have proof of lengthy negelect. Did you try the offer to buy? Spinning the danger story is a good idea. Do you think telling them about this site for help stopping him being a 'brat', (which of course is just being a kitten) would do any good? If there are coyotes around his crying could attract them so for his own protection please, please bring him inside ASAP. Keep us updated. Hang in there and Bless you for caring.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard Pikachu meowing, outdoors, for over a week, now.

Around the last time I heard him, he showed up on our back porch. He looked good and healthy but I couldn't let him in. Casper wouldn't tolerate another male cat in his house and, besides, the landlord wouldn't allow it.

Anyhow, I came home from work, this evening, and there was a cat tree sitting by the curb, waiting for garbage pickup. It's a smaller sized cat tree. "Kitten size," if you will...

I live in a four-unit apartment building. Three of the four families living here have cats. The neighbors on my right have a really nice looking mackerel. We have Casper, an all-white cat. Pikachu's humans live two doors down on the left. The neighbor on my immediate left is a gruffy, older gentleman who doesn't have a cat. He's a great guy. He's just not a cat person.

Max, the tabby, lives indoors 100% and so does Casper. Max's humans wouldn't throw out his cat tree unless it got torn up. This cat tree looks like it's in good condition but for being outdoors in the weather. The sissal scrathers are barely scratched up and the carpeted parts don't have the frayed edges that you might expect a used cat tree to have.

When I showed Casper's Girl-Human the cat tree on the curb, she said, "I hope that means Pikachu ran away and found a new family!" So do I but I'm also afraid this means that something bad happened to Pikachu. :(

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I saw Pikachu, outside, this evening when I was getting into the car.

I saw him in my rear view mirror as he scampered through the yard. I called out to him and he stopped to look at me for a minute before scampering off again.

So, Pikachu is still around and he looks none the worse for the wear.

I told Casper's Girl-Human that, if he comes to the back door again, to let him in and we'll keep him in the basement, away from Casper, until we can find some place to take him.

By the looks of him, I think Pikachu had decided that he doesn't live in that house anymore and he's probably looking for a new family.

If we can catch him without too much fuss, we'll do what we can to find him a new family.