Wound care question

JulieHarr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with this? My cat has a small wound at the base of his tail where it attaches to the body. I put Mupirocin ointment on it and covered with a bandage. My question is, should I take the bandage off for a few hours a day to let it dry out?

IMG_20201001_142935518.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with this? My cat has a small wound at the base of his tail where it attaches to the body. I put Mupirocin ointment on it and covered with a bandage. My question is, should I take the bandage off for a few hours a day to let it dry out?

View attachment 353081
I've looked this up and don't see any specific instructions for or against bandaging; I do see that one of the ingredients may be harmful if licked/swallowed, so if he tries to do this, experts recommend an e-collar (bandaging would also be effective).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulieHarr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

I've looked this up and don't see any specific instructions for or against bandaging; I do see that one of the ingredients may be harmful if licked/swallowed, so if he tries to do this, experts recommend an e-collar (bandaging would also be effective).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat has a small wound at the base of his tail
You can also try to get a bottle of Colloidal Silver and either you dab the spot with a cotton pad with several drops of the mentioned lotion or use the eye dropper and drip some over the wound. Do this several times a day till it heals.

Maybe you like to try this product called Colloidal Silver. My boy has this wound on his hind leg and he keeps biting it while cleaning till it bleeds and leaves fresh blood on the floor and on his pillow and this sore has been there like over 3 years.

In the early quarter of this year, I bought this product and apply it a few times a day on the sore and now I don't see the blood stain and he doesn't groom that leg very much. The sore is like kind dried up and not much of a scab like before which bleeds easily. I'm still applying the liquid daily on the sore to make sure it is fully healed.

There are many brands out there, see if you can get them.

IMG_9079.JPG

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mupirocin is a prescription antibiotic ointment for people. I wouldn't use it on a cat unless specifically told to by a vet.

A safe OTC ointment you can use is Neopsorin Original or generic equivalent that contains only neomycin sulfate, bacitracin zinc and polymyxin B. Do not use any product that contains pain medicine or itch relief or anything else.

How did your cat get a wound at the base of the tail? If the wound doesn't heal or gets infected, you'll need to bring the cat to the vet for treatment.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try to get a bottle of Colloidal Silver and either you dab the spot with a cotton pad with several drops of the mentioned lotion or use the eye dropper and drip some over the wound. Do this several times a day till it heals.

Maybe you like to try this product called Colloidal Silver. My boy has this wound on his hind leg and he keeps biting it while cleaning till it bleeds and leaves fresh blood on the floor and on his pillow and this sore has been there like over 3 years.

In the early quarter of this year, I bought this product and apply it a few times a day on the sore and now I don't see the blood stain and he doesn't groom that leg very much. The sore is like kind dried up and not much of a scab like before which bleeds easily. I'm still applying the liquid daily on the sore to make sure it is fully healed.

There are many brands out there, see if you can get them.

View attachment 353097
What does January's doctor have to say about that wound, tabbytom tabbytom ? I'd wonder why it isn't healing after "over 3 years"???

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What does January's doctor have to say about that wound, tabbytom tabbytom ? I'd wonder why it isn't healing after "over 3 years"???
This one I did not bring him to the vet as I still have the antiseptic cream he was given the last time for his wound from his scratching near the ear which has healed.

This wound on his leg did not heal as he was biting and licking it everyday even though I applied the cream. So now, after applying the Colloidal silver, the wound has dried up and I don't see him biting and licking it and hardly see any bloodstain on the floor or where he sleeps.