Would You Take A She-shed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , geez I'm sorry! I thought you were being facetious. :paperbag::paperbag::paperbag:

Yeah, a half bath is simply a toilet and a sink.

My sister had a double closet in their hallway on the first floor of their house. They put a half bath in the closet, just a toilet with a nice sink. It looks good. And that's what Rick wants in the shed.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But I really don't know what a half bathroom is.......

:paperbag:
Many 2-story American homes have what we call 2 1/2 baths: 2, full baths (shower/and/or tub, sink and toilet), and the 1/2 bath, usually downstairs. One of the full baths is usually with the master bathroom, attached to the largest "master" bedroom, which is large enough for a couple to sleep in. I think these are called "en suite" in England?) These bedrooms often have more than one closet, and often, one of the closets is a walk-in closet, which is a least 5 feet deep, and very wide--so you can walk into it, and have storage around three sides of it. (My house does not have a walk-in closet, though, but I do have two closets.)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Went out tonight and took a bunch of pictures: from the road looking up to the site, from inside the trees, showing where our well is located, all that good stuff. According to our measurements, they shouldn't have trouble getting the shed situated. We need to get rid of the tree (which, after really looking at it, Rick said it's too tall for him to safely cut down. And the trunk/root has to be dug out, so I'm calling somebody to come in.) and cut some branches from the surrounding trees, so that there's enough room to work around.

White pines are considered junk trees. The only reason we have them is because right after we built our house and moved in, International Paper gave away 50 white pine seedlings to anybody who wanted them. I took them, figured oh what the heck. And some of them grew. And grew. And then grew some more.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
So....I really tried to figure out how to do a two-story shed. Alas, my pocketbook couldn't handle the cost. It wasn't the cost of the shed so much as the cost of the insulation, wiring, drywall, etc. for the second floor.

Here's what we'll have:
  • 12 x 20 (From their Premier collection of sheds), one story, vinyl siding, shingled roof (12 x 20 is a nice size, I guess)
  • Double transom 30 x 40 insulated windows on both sides of the door in the front. One transom 24 x 36 insulated window at both ends of the shed. No windows on the back because that will face the neighboring property. The shed will face southwest, so there will be a lot of light coming in those windows.
  • One fiberglass door in PURPLE
  • The floor is insulated
  • Roof and soffits are vented
  • A transom dormer above the front door; it's about six feet long, with insulated windows
The siding will be slate grey with black shutters and dual grey shingles on the roof. And did I mention that the door will be PURPLE??

Delivery in ten - twelve weeks, give or take; they're getting busy

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The trees that need to be taken down have been marked with red paint.

The purple door: Sonic Plum

Shed color: Slate Grey (not the best image, but it's all I've got)

Shutters and flower boxes will be black.

Lead time is now six weeks (give or take) :banana2::banana1:

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love that purple! You're going to have so much fun finding flowers in just the right colours for your flower boxes.

:anticipation:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Of course! :) Next spring when it's warmer outside and people can travel with no worries about snow and ice. Sounds good to me!

Norachan Norachan , my motto is always, "I'll know it when I see it". I saw that Sonic Plum, looked at Rick and said, "That's it! That's the front door!" I'm glad you like it, too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The tree-weenies came and took down the trees; they need to come back and grind out one of the stumps. We did a rough layout of where we want the shed to go; once the stump is out, we'll dig it the area out. Then it's a matter of getting the stone down. We'll be ready! (It would be very helpful if it would stop raining!)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
BreakingGround.jpg
And so it begins. We needed to have a couple trees removed and that took a while because of the rainy weather. The man came in this afternoon to start grading and he'll finish up tomorrow. We'll need to get stone and level everything out. But it's coming along. The weather is NOT helping!

Those evergreens in the background are not ours; the neighbor planted them way too close to the property line and they're actually over on our property by a good twelve feet. And they're pretty much dead along the bottoms.