Would you live in a house with an open concept.... bathroom?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, it is part of the master suite, that's better at least. But it's still on the floor you'd have guests on; you'd have to send them upstairs to the hallway bathroom. They should have divided the master bath and made a guest toilet room.

No living room? Weird. They'll probably put the couch and TV in what's labeled as the dining room but still, it's weird. Or maybe the big bedroom upstairs?

I knew someone who lived in a big old house that had been partitioned into apartments/lodging rooms and had communal bathrooms. I think they each had a sink in their room; I suppose it's easier to plumb that instead of a full sewer line like you'd need for a toilet. So at least they could wash their face, shave, brush their teeth, etc. in their own rooms. But yeah, it was a problem. They had to schedule shower times and bicker about toilet times, and the cleaning issue of course.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is still an an odd layout. With four bedrooms up, why would you need another in the main living floor. The Dining room is apparently also the living room. And it makes no sense whatsoever to create a huge master suite without a closet in it. No linen or coat closet either.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe it was originally planned for an elderly or disabled person? The house reminds me of the one my great grandparents had and Grandma talked about how they made a bed and bathroom downstairs when my great grandpa needed care and couldn’t go upstairs anymore.

Wait nevermind... Its a second and third floor condo so even that doesn’t make sense. :dunno:

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume it's made for someone with a whole lot of kids, or a whole lot of adult roommates because that's the only way you can afford to live in Boston, lol.

Old houses never have closets, it's extremely annoying. Although it appears they did put closets in for 3 of the 4 upstairs bedrooms.

Hmm, it's listed as a 4-bedroom but the floor plan shows 5. Maybe the "master bedroom" is supposed to be a living room but they thought (correctly) that having an open-concept bathroom in a master suite would be less weird.
302 South St #2, Boston, MA 02130 | MLS #72789316 | Zillow

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume it's made for someone with a whole lot of kids, or a whole lot of adult roommates because that's the only way you can afford to live in Boston, lol.

Old houses never have closets, it's extremely annoying. Although it appears they did put closets in for 3 of the 4 upstairs bedrooms.

Hmm, it's listed as a 4-bedroom but the floor plan shows 5. Maybe the "master bedroom" is supposed to be a living room but they thought (correctly) that having an open-concept bathroom in a master suite would be less weird.
302 South St #2, Boston, MA 02130 | MLS #72789316 | Zillow
What's weird is that it's the smallest bedroom upstairs that has the attached bathroom, so assuming the master downstairs was really supposed to be the front room, which one would you make the master upstairs - the biggest or the one with the attached bathroom?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No living room? Weird. They'll probably put the couch and TV in what's labeled as the dining room but still, it's weird. Or maybe the big bedroom upstairs?
One could make a living area using part of the room labeled as "dining", maybe the area by the windows and the blocked off wall.

The "master bedroom" and open concept bathroom could have been a living area before the renovations since it's right at the stairs as you come up from the front door :think: And there was a doorway from the dining area to the now open concept bathroom, it's just blocked off now.

Or the developer expects a wealthy family to buy the condo. Or someone wealthy to buy the condo and then rent out each bedroom at a ridiculous amount apiece.

What's weird is that it's the smallest bedroom upstairs that has the attached bathroom, so assuming the master downstairs was really supposed to be the front room, which one would you make the master upstairs - the biggest or the one with the attached bathroom?
Does a master bedroom really need an attached bathroom? Many older homes have master bedrooms with no attached bathroom. I think the upstairs of this particular condo could have been made into 3 decent sized bedrooms with a shared bathroom and one master bedroom with attached bathroom.

I noticed that there is no basement or a washer / dryer laundry area in this condo :headscratch: There must be a basement. Most old houses in the area do. This house was built in 1910. Maybe there's no access to the basement from the inside:dunno:

I wonder what unit 1 of this house looks like :think: Maybe closer to the original design of the home or at least something more typical. It looks like it was last sold in 2004.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does a master bedroom really need an attached bathroom? Many older homes have master bedrooms with no attached bathroom. I think the upstairs of this particular condo could have been made into 3 decent sized bedrooms with a shared bathroom and one master bedroom with attached bathroom
Not needed! Our master doesn't have an attached bathroom, but usually in a case like that, none of the bedrooms have attached bathrooms. It's weird that a non master bedroom would have one.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve seen more attached bathrooms in newer houses. I love browsing floorplans and I see it there. Some are designed for multi-generation families. My SIL’s old house actually had 2 master suites upstairs. Technically her current house has 2 bedrooms with baths attached also; but one is in the basement so it makes sense. Its not a big house either.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it is true in the state this house is located in but in Minnesota you can’t call it a bedroom if it doesn’t have a closet.