Would you live in a house with an open concept.... bathroom?

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
According to the article, the house was previously foreclosed and a developer has renovated the home and is currently the owner. The listing agent is quoted as saying "believes the developer was trying to go for a “more progressive” feel". :dunno:

My condo is open concept which is fine. The bedroom and bathroom are their own separate rooms. I looked at a studio where the door less (and window less) bedroom was down a short hallway but it was still too open for me even if I put up a curtain to separate the space. After growing up in a 1920s house that had individual rooms and poor layout (the kitchen might as well have been on Mars) and a very cramped feeling, I prefer open layouts of the main areas. But I wouldn't mind a home with individual rooms and a good airy layout. I've always loved the house next door to my parents' house and the one next to that. Both have the same layout: the living room, dining room, and kitchen are their own rooms but are laid out around a central fireplace and wall and connected to each other through large doorways. If one went out the living room the other way it's a short walk down the hall to the kitchen. I remember running circles around the first floor with the neighbors' kids. Sometimes one of us would suddenly change directions and crash into the others as they run around a corner :lol:
I understand, you want to maximize your space and a house that is cramp with too many rooms seems to take away from the house's appeal. I have a friend who comes from a well to do family. I was invited to their summer cabin in the mountains. The place was absolutely gorgeous. The kitchen, Dining room, and Living room was an open space. There was a fire place between the DR and L.R. The stairs to the second floor was in the back of the Living room and there were big spacious rooms on the 2nd floor. The master b.r. had a gorgeous balcony where you can see a gorgeous panoramic view of the mountains. I fell in love with that place. Open spaces do have there appeal. I am okay with D R. and L.R open spaces, in some cases the Kitchen, too. The layout to your family home and the neighbor's house sounds interesting. I laughed when you mentioned how you guys kept running around in circles on the front floor and crashing into each other. Thanks for sharing.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those were the only rooms on the first floor beside a half bath and a closet :) There were stairs on the right as you walk in the front door that go upstairs to the bedrooms and full bath. I forgot about the butler's pantry. Both neighbors' houses had butler pantries between the kitchen and dining room which I always thought were magical because that were all the cookies were kept :lol: As our parents talked in the living room, us kids would just be running around. We rarely went upstairs since it was understood that bedrooms were private spaces.

There was a small studio apartment in San Francisco where the bathroom was right in the kitchen :eek3: This Ridiculously Tiny San Francisco Studio Has a Bathroom in the Kitchen

Not as bad as an apt I was looking at. Small closet in the bathroom next to the shower!
A linen closet? I have one in my bathroom. I keep towels, extra rolls of toilet paper, cat litter, and other bathroom stuff in there.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Those were the only rooms on the first floor beside a half bath and a closet :) There were stairs on the right as you walk in the front door that go upstairs to the bedrooms and full bath. I forgot about the butler's pantry. Both neighbors' houses had butler pantries between the kitchen and dining room which I always thought were magical because that were all the cookies were kept :lol: As our parents talked in the living room, us kids would just be running around. We rarely went upstairs since it was understood that bedrooms were private spaces.

There was a small studio apartment in San Francisco where the bathroom was right in the kitchen :eek3: This Ridiculously Tiny San Francisco Studio Has a Bathroom in the Kitchen

A linen closet? I have one in my bathroom. I keep towels, extra rolls of toilet paper, cat litter, and other bathroom stuff in there.
There were hangers so I assume bedroom closet. Didn't see any other closet. Wow! Who would want bathroom in kitchen? Imagine your kitchen smelling of poo and the after shower smell

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Any place where cookies or candy is kept is magically to young kids.:runaround:Sugar Rush! 😁
That S.F. apartment is very tacky. The big cities are always trying to push micro apartments or apartments with weird layouts. Sadly, people will rent these apartments just to be in that city. Some years back, I remember a man from Brooklyn, NY advertised his tree house on Craig's list(no electricity or water) and still there were people calling in who were serious about renting. Totally crazy!:dizzy: People will do anything to live in a desired city and neighborhood, even live in these tacky apartments. I think these apartments may end up becoming the norm when it gets harder and harder to find affordable ones. Pity.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the only thing I've seen (not in person) than that SF apartment was an article about cage houses in Asia somewhere. I believe Hong Kong. I've been told Americans are generally "spoiled' when it comes to how we view our home spaces because in other parts of the world houses are generally smaller with smaller yards. I think I would have a lot of trouble adjusting myself. I don't even see the appeal of tiny houses. And I REALLY don't understand how some people are trying to raise multiple kids in one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The average salary in San Francisco is $100,000 but take home pay is only $68,000. San Francisco, California Salary | PayScale
How Income Taxes Shrink a $100,000 Salary in All 50 States

Average cost of a home in San Francisco is $1.3 million San Francisco Housing Market: House Prices & Trends | Redfin

That is how an apartment like that can rent for $2,000 a month in San Francisco.

Many parts of Southeast Asia have the same issues with real estate costs. Many years ago I heard about the 100 year mortgage in Japan.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wonder what's gonna happen when it just gets to be too much. They say you can afford a house that costs 5 times your annual income. I'm not sure I could! But even so, that puts most people out of the running in SF. If even the rent gets to be too much, well, people just can't live there. Then what?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The house I grew up was 24 x 24. Tiny, tiny rooms, no storage. My first house, where I lived for 25 years was 24 x 28, 672 sq feet when I moved in. Also tiny rooms and no storage, just a slightly bigger kitchen. Current house is 1550 sq feet. I can say from experience that bigger is way more comfortable to live in.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Getting back on topic.... Aren't there any building codes or local ordinances that prohibit bathrooms being placed in a kitchen? It's unsanitary. Open concept door less bathrooms... I guess as long as the plumbing is correct it doesn't matter where the bathroom is placed or if it has a door?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting back on topic.... Aren't there any building codes or local ordinances that prohibit bathrooms being placed in a kitchen? It's unsanitary. Open concept door less bathrooms... I guess as long as the plumbing is correct it doesn't matter where the bathroom is placed or if it has a door?
Just a 3 month lease to find out. Most places will not you pay for leaving if a major complaint. Unfortunately smoking inside is allowed here so I can't simply leave without paying

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first apartment I looked at was in a building with six apartments on each floor. Non had bathrooms and there was only one shared bathroom for everyone on the whole floor. I desperately needed a place to rent but not that one.
How can that many people share a bathroom? I wonder how they all get ready for work in the morning? I have IBS-D and believe me that would never do.

No to an open bathroom. That is just nasty.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I googled tiny apartments nyc and found one with a communal toilet and shower. The apartment only had a mini fridge, no freezer and no stove. I’m now imagining how hard people in nyc had lockdown. Plus the germ factor! That toilet had no sink in there that I saw!

I only spotted one with a shower in the kitchen. I didn’t look long; just while waiting here.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even in a dorm with shared bathrooms, there are multiple stalls and showers. I can't imagine paying for an apartment with one toilet to share (unless it's like that dorm/locker room type bathroom - though still not ideal).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Well, speaking as a do it myself remodeler, code only counts if you get permits and an inspection. Who knows if they did that here. Plumbing I know has codes for how close to the wall a toilet can be placed, how high the ceilings must be, that there vents or windows etc but not sure about a door. I doubt it specifies where a bathroom can or cannot be located though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found the floor plan of the condo:

So the open concept bathroom is located on the second floor, not the first. The master bedroom is the next room over and there is a bedroom door. So I guess technically the bathroom is kind of private since the only way to it is through the bedroom. That large doorway that is blocked off? Originally it led to the room where the now open concept bathroom is.