Would you live in a house with an open concept.... bathroom?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I intend to build new once I have the mortgage paid off, so I've been doing a lot of thinking about it, and I just can't decide if I like open concept or not. I do, in theory, like having separate rooms, and would enjoy being able to shut the cats out of the kitchen while I'm cooking. But that really only works if the rooms are very large and airy/bright, which I can't necessarily afford. So having one big room with everything (except bedrooms and bathrooms) makes more sense. So :dunno: .

I definitely want bathrooms to be enclosed and separate, and I prefer bedrooms be relatively small and enclosed. I don't like the insecure feeling of sleeping in a big open room.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate open concept houses no matter what part of the house is open concept. I saw this on Zillow Gone Wild and was just confused as to why anyone would do that to their house. The owners must be exhibitionists or something. :lol:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have stayed at a couple of those strange type hotels. One that actually had a clear glass wall, no curtain, separating the bed area from the bathroom!
We stayed in one that had the jacuzzi tub in the bedroom and one that had only a curtain between the bathroom and bedroom. The jacuzzi tub was nice, but wasn't crazy about the one with the curtain.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I stayed in a B and B in northern CA once, Humboldt County, which had been completely redone from an old Victorian house and the bath was in the center of the bedroom. This is popular in upper class English design as well in country houses and the like.

As for the house in question, I wondered about code, but maybe it was up to code since it was apparently built and advertised.

My BIL and SIL had a very modern house with an open floor plan in San Clemente, but with private bathrooms and bedrooms. The staircase had no bannister and was quite steep....the builder told them a bannister would break the line or something. One night my SIL lost her footing on the steps holding the baby, turned her body as she fell to save the baby....he was fine, she was in the hospital.

As for the tub...you get out with slipper feet, forget to use a mat, whatever, and you go over the edge?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is what happened to our “open concept” living area:
image.jpg

It took 2 of those gates plus a normal one to contain my kids as babies and toddlers. The purple bins hold all my teacher manuals and things for school. You see the dry erase board lives on Mooch’s chair... So yeah; I could use wall space!

I do like my kitchen feeling big and bright; but its more open than I’d like for sure. Before we had the shelves and would open the gate DD used to run laps around there.:crazy::lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , if you only use that doorway for storage, a nice wide and tall bookcase there to block it would serve you better, allowing more storage space for all the school supplies. Then once the kids are grown you could open it back up.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
:nono: That would be a heck NO from me. An bathroom open like that with no door or real privacy is gross. BR's don't always smell nice and while you can spray the area, do you want smell someone's💩 right after they just went? These smells can travel fast. There is a reason bathrooms have walls around it and a door for privacy. I could see an open floor plan for dining room and living room, but not crazy over open floor plans outside of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate open concept houses no matter what part of the house is open concept. I saw this on Zillow Gone Wild and was just confused as to why anyone would do that to their house. The owners must be exhibitionists or something. :lol:

According to the article, the house was previously foreclosed and a developer has renovated the home and is currently the owner. The listing agent is quoted as saying "believes the developer was trying to go for a “more progressive” feel". :dunno:

I could see an open floor plan for dining room and living room, but not crazy over open floor plans outside of this.

My condo is open concept which is fine. The bedroom and bathroom are their own separate rooms. I looked at a studio where the door less (and window less) bedroom was down a short hallway but it was still too open for me even if I put up a curtain to separate the space. After growing up in a 1920s house that had individual rooms and poor layout (the kitchen might as well have been on Mars) and a very cramped feeling, I prefer open layouts of the main areas. But I wouldn't mind a home with individual rooms and a good airy layout. I've always loved the house next door to my parents' house and the one next to that. Both have the same layout: the living room, dining room, and kitchen are their own rooms but are laid out around a central fireplace and wall and connected to each other through large doorways. If one went out the living room the other way it's a short walk down the hall to the kitchen. I remember running circles around the first floor with the neighbors' kids. Sometimes one of us would suddenly change directions and crash into the others as they run around a corner :lol:

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , if you only use that doorway for storage, a nice wide and tall bookcase there to block it would serve you better, allowing more storage space for all the school supplies. Then once the kids are grown you could open it back up.
DH suggested moving the china cabinet to that doorway and then using the “breakfast nook” (where my elliptical is) for school with a new table. I’d have to find something to make the back look nicer. But moving that cabinet would be a project itself. :lol: I’ve got one tall and one short bookcase in there now for school stuff. Its amazing how it grows! 🤪

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I like an open concept home but the bathroom should be closed and private. My family and I stayed in one hotel in Taipei during our last vacation there. The room was beautiful and with majestic views but the bathroom was only separated by a glass wall.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked at a studio where the door less (and window less) bedroom was down a short hallway but it was still too open for me even if I put up a curtain to separate the space.
A studio does usually have the bedroom as part of the living room. Most people have either a sofa sleeper or a day bed. I am not crazy about the bedroom not being a separate room but in urban areas where space is at a premium and expensive it could be a financial necessity. Studios do have a separate small bathroom though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A studio does usually have the bedroom as part of the living room. Most people have either a sofa sleeper or a day bed. I am not crazy about the bedroom not being a separate room but in urban areas where space is at a premium and expensive it could be a financial necessity. Studios do have a separate small bathroom though.

Yes but the one I looked at had the bedroom area off in its own area down a short hallway. There was a closet in the bedroom area. The bathroom was its own private room. Here's the layout:

640x480.jpg

I think the lack of windows in the bedroom area meant a door couldn't be added for safety reasons.

I did look at a new loft place but each unit was just one big open space with a private bathroom. I really loved the two level one because the bedroom was in the loft area so some privacy there but the location of the building wasn't ideal. I'm sure many people have figured out how to carve out a semi-private bedroom area with open bookcases or privacy screens or something or do Murphy beds or day beds.

I love the condo but that toilet stuff goin' on would have to be redone.
Agree :agree: I don't see why the developer had to put a full bathroom on the first floor if there are no bedrooms there. A half bath would have sufficed for guests. Maybe split that room up, taking some space for smal half bath and leaving the window area for a small home office or reading nook maybe.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, nope nope nope. Hard nope!

Unless someone plans to live alone and never have any guests, just seems too yikes to me. Wanting privacy doesn't mean a lack of "Progression" it's just common sense and comfort. It's a very intimate thing to do and have when it comes to bathrooms. There is even three windows right in front of the toilet and shower :confused: one need some good curtains. With the outside door just there too...talk about anxiety.

Additionally, doesn't seem very hygienic! Yuck! All the things and smells that can travel around with the rest of the high traffic living space and kitchen nearby.(Why you should close the lid when flushing, as spray/aerosol travelers leave and chill about in the rest of your bathroom area, for example) You poo, pee, fart, vomit, do lady-related monthly activities, shave, wash, pluck in a bathroom. There is a reason why it's closed in with proper materials, walls and flooring.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not as bad as an apt I was looking at. Small closet in the bathroom next to the shower!
The first apartment I looked at was in a building with six apartments on each floor. Non had bathrooms and there was only one shared bathroom for everyone on the whole floor. I desperately needed a place to rent but not that one.