Would you live in a house with an open concept.... bathroom?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This was discussed on a radio news station this morning. A newly renovated home has an open layout which the developer for some reason extended to the first floor bathroom :eek2: In what might be a small parlor or sitting room is a bathroom with no door. The toilet is semi-concealed with a partial frosted glass partition. The shower is on the other side of the toilet. And there are windows facing the street opposite the toilet :eek3: Sure, one could put up shades and curtains for privacy but still :eek3: Pictures of the bathroom (and rest of the home) here:Open-concept design has extended to the bathroom, at least in one Jamaica Plain condo - Buying, Style - Boston.com Real Estate

The rest of the home is nice. I'm not a fan of the kitchen floor and the matching column thing. Or what appears to be a large doorway that is blocked off with more of the same kitchen floor / column material.

I'm definitely a NO on open concept bathrooms. Bathrooms are private spaces. I live alone and still close the bathroom door. The cats don't care what I'm doing but I still need my privacy.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I'd be ok with it. My ex and I were very open about everything. Not to say we'd go rushing in if someone was using it, but we understood going to the bathroom was a part of being alive and human.
Even now, I live alone, I don't shut the door (unless I have company, I still respect other people's beliefs and boundaries) and I'm comfortable enough with who I am that I usually walk around my house in not much more than boxers or shorts. To be honest, I felt weird for a long time about being that comfortable with myself, but when I found a partner who was the same way, it was freeing.

Edit: didn't look at the house before posting. That specific house would be a no for me.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it was a master bath I could possibly see it working...for someone. But not on the main floor like that. It comes off as lazy on the part of the contractor. It was clearly a room before. So put up a door and at least frost those windows!! Were they trying to be cheap? Did they run out of money? Those are the thoughts I’d have if I was looking in person.

I really don’t like the kitchen flooring either. The closed doorway makes me sad too. Otherwise its pretty nice looking.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, no way. I don't generally close the bathroom door, but would if we had guests, and no option to do so plus windows opposite?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, yeah, I saw that one on Zillow Gone Wild. I think it could work in the master bath or on the family level for certain types of families, but not on the level guests would have to use. If you bought the house and couldn't afford to (or didn't want to for aesthetic reasons) put a door in, I think it could be fixed by making a bigger and better partition. Maybe even a full public restroom stall, lol. Here I'll post the pic for people who don't want to click:
jp12-1024x576$medium.jpeg

But then they had to one-up themselves and found this house! At least the toilet isn't near the edge of the loft; I don't think I could get within 10 feet of that bathtub. What if you had kids? Or wanted to get a dog? At least it's just a cabin so probably not for family living. Also there are huge front windows with a fine view of the bathtub but I suppose the idea is that nobody will be in the forest to see you, but still, NOPE.

156830731_135386651815606_3584452082366523289_n.jpg

156813103_135386655148939_213268519646038844_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is one supposed to do with all that space between the toilet and shower and the windows on the opposite side of the room? I can see maybe storage or a vanity table next to the shower along that same wall.

No I don't think so. Maybe in a master bedroom but not in the living area.
Another home in the area had a bathroom right in the master bedroom. The link to that home is in the original link above.

The toilet is in the little room to the right of the shower so there's at least some privacy there and blinds on the window.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be one large “hell no!“. I don’t want to think about people’s toilet habits when I enter someone’s home. Bathrooms need doors and exhaust fans and privacy. Open concept maybe for kitchen/living room/dining room but not for bedrooms or bathrooms.

And the problem with this unique kind of remodeling is that it will substantially limit the number of buyers and it looks like this place isn’t selling. The design just doesn’t make sense and couldn’t have been done by professionals, more like a flipper gone crazy. The bedrooms appear to be all upstairs with a decent bath up there so all the downstairs needs is a powder room, not this monstrosity. The kitchen floor is hideous and there are a couple other questionable decisions like bricking up what looks like it used to be a doorway.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family once stayed in a hotel with the bathtub right in the bedroom. It was a spa tub so maybe that's why? But it was weird. And I don't want to think about the state of the carpet in that area. But at least the toilet was in a separate room!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As one working in the design field, that is just stupid for so many reasons.
I'm not a fan of open concept in general. I prefer actual rooms; especially dislike open kitchens - I like to cook without being watched over. I especially don't want people walking by the bathroom I'm in regardless of what I'm doing in there.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My family once stayed in a hotel with the bathtub right in the bedroom. It was a spa tub so maybe that's why? But it was weird. And I don't want to think about the state of the carpet in that area. But at least the toilet was in a separate room!
I have stayed at a couple of those strange type hotels. One that actually had a clear glass wall, no curtain, separating the bed area from the bathroom!