Would you just drink from the fountain!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So a little over a week ago, we got a fancy fountain for Lily & Zoe. Stainless steel, multiple spouts... They both really need to drink more water. Especially Lily, since she has bladder stones, reoccuring UTI's. No one will touch it! We've tried splashing the water, showing them the water, touching their nose with the water, and nothing. How do I get them to drink from it? I would be so happy if Lily and Zoe would drink from it, Lily needs all the water she can get.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does it make a lot of noise? If so, that might be why they aren't too crazy about it. You could try seeing if they will lap water from a dripping faucet. If they do, there are fountains that mimic the faucet, although the noise might still be an issue. I have also heard that you can see if they will use the fountain while there is water in it but it is not running. If it has multiple settings, sometimes once they start to use the fountain to drink from, the lowest setting (lowest noise level, lowest flow level) is what you work with first to see if they can overcome their concern before using higher (noisier) settings.

I am sure other members will have some better ideas for you to try!! Hoping they see your post soon!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just don't care for moving water. You can increase water intake with one of these methods: Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles The easiest way is to add water to canned food. If you don't feed canned food, then you really should to help with the cat's urinary issues. Dry food is what causes most urinary issues and prescription dry foods are no better.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah was terrified of her first fountain. I wound up getting her this one:

Screenshot_20201114-213534_Samsung Internet.jpg

Its not the prettiest fountain but she does drink from it.

The water trickles down the mirrored panel rather than coming out of a spout.