Would you eat bugs?

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heres an interesting question!

Would any of you ever eat an insect? and if so, which kind?

Personally the only kind id ever think of trying is cooked crickets. I saw a show on tv about it, and it looked kind of appealing, LOL. But i'd never eat any type of worm or spider, BLEH! and nothing that hasent been cooked.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bugs aren't that bad. I've had a few. I've ate beetles, worms, crickets, grasshoppers, and a couple of spiders. I love those chocolate covered crickets. They are soooo delicious.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might try them if I'm traveling and it's part of the culture. I also would if I had to to survive. Ya know, Bear Grills style!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Bugs aren't that bad. I've had a few. I've ate beetles, worms, crickets, grasshoppers, and a couple of spiders. I love those chocolate covered crickets. They are soooo delicious.
YAY im not the only crazy one lol, yeah, id try chocolate covered crickets...I wouldnt try beetles or anything, I guess crickets are the only thing that appeals to me.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had chocolate covered ants. I didn't know what it was when I ate them though. They just looked like chocolate covered raisins. When I heard what it was I retched and gagged but then I decided that was stupid because I liked them before I knew what they were....why should knowing make a difference?

I watched one of Ellen's shows and she had Selma Hayek on. Apparently she just loves roasted crickets. Apparently it's some kind of delicacy from where she comes from. Ellen had a huge bowl of these roasted crickets for her and she delved right in. Can't say that I would want to try it though, LOL

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

You couldn't pay me enough to eat any kind of bug.
We eat bugs every single day because regardless of much you wash certain veggies IE: Broccoli, there are bugs in it.

Also, unless you really scrutinize your lettuce chances are you are eating bug eggs that have been layed on them. Trying to get those off of lettuce is near impossible because they stick.

emeraldlily90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my dad was younger, he used to grab a handful of ants and munch on them to gross his younger sister and her friends out. He said they taste really bitter. *Gag*!

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Freshman year at college some guy came and had us sample cricket pizza and roach brownies. There were other things, too, but I remember those two clearly. I had the pizza, and it wasn't too bad. I wasn't even going to touch the brownies because I'm terrified of roaches, but he said it was the perfect way to get revenge on them for scaring me all these years.

I can't say I'd do it again.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand they are high in protein and in some countries looked upon as something quite delicious, personally thought I think I will leave the bug eating to Linus and Sassy who seem to like a good cricket or spider once in awhile.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had chocolate-covered ants (and I didn't know that that's what they were, either, Natalie -- I had pretty much the same reaction when I found out, with the same realization: I liked them before I knew what they were, so it seems silly to suddenly dislike them once I knew what they were) and chocoate-covered crickets (I knew what I was eating that time).

I've also consumed numerous small bugs and spiders while out on camping trips and other excursions. For the most part, I try not to think about what insects I've eaten, deliberate or otherwise. I'm a little bit bug-phobic.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

We eat bugs every single day because regardless of much you wash certain veggies IE: Broccoli, there are bugs in it.

Also, unless you really scrutinize your lettuce chances are you are eating bug eggs that have been layed on them. Trying to get those off of lettuce is near impossible because they stick.
Good point, but as long I don't see them, I'm not worried about it.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I wouldn't on purpose just to see what they taste like and I don't like chocolate covered anything in general. I raise several colonies of bugs right now for the various creatures in my house, one of which are crickets. I couldn't eat them unless it was a sheer survival thing.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I saw on one of those travel dining shows a restaurant somewhere in the USA where they have a "Bug" night and serve bugs. They even showed them being cooked and people lined up to eat there.

Also, if you are lost out in the wild, chances are bugs will be the only protein that you can find unless of course you are adept at bear wrestling or something and eating bugs could be a matter of survival.

So never say never.....

Here is a link to a restaurant that has insects on their menu:

http://www.typhoon.biz/menus.html

Here is another link on eating insects. Quite interesting read actually:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A476859