Would This Be Safe To Eat?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was cleaning out my cupboards, and came across some Hamburger Helper that has an expiration date of Oct. '09. I'm thinking it's probably okay to use considering all the sodium content that's in the stuff (which is mainly why it hasn't been used yet - I've been trying to cut back on sodium due to high blood pressure problems), but I'm hesitant to use something that's so outdated. I hate wasting food and throwing stuff out, but I sure would rather do that than take a chance of getting sick. What do y'all think?

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it would actually be dangerous. I think the noodles would be pretty stale, though.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there's no way that stuff is spoiled it's a can..i wouldn't worry about eating it but i wouldn't eat it unless I was stranded on an island and it was the only thing I had to eat and I was starving

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would just be stale...I wouldn't eat it. I'd also be afraid that by now it would have mealworms or something.

My rule of thumb is if you have to actually decide if it's safe to eat, it's time it was thrown out.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be safe but it would probably taste gross. My mom and I once ate mac and cheese that was expired by a year. It didn't make us ill, but the taste wasn't so great lol.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's fine to eat.

The date you see on packages isn't an "expiry" date. It's a "best before" date, which is completely different. Just because something has reached or passed the "best before" date, doesn't mean it suddenly becomes inedible.

I called our Health Department and asked about this because the store across the street from me tends to leave things on the shelves for months after the "best before" date. What an eye opener I was given and my whole attitude towards dating food has changed completely. So much less wastage coming from my kitchen.

The Health Department explained to me that the date is simply a guideline to let the consumer know when the product is the freshest. If it's before the date, it's peak freshness. If it's after the date it's still edible but may not be as "fresh" as it would have been before that date. IE: a crunchy cookie may take on a more soft or cake-like texture, but that doesn't make it poisonous to eat. The same with crackers. A box of Saltines will still be edible months down the line, but they may taste a bit stale and not be as crunchy, but you can still eat them.

If eggs have been in the fridge and not left out on a counter at room temperature, the eggs can be consumed months after the "best before" date. If I buy a dozen eggs, sometimes I don't use the last egg until 3 months after the "best before" date. The egg is still fine. It looks fine, it smells fine and cooks fine.

The same goes with other things like yogurt, butter, oils, vinegar, condiments, milk, packaged goods, yeast, baking powder etc. If it looks ok and smells ok, it is ok. Those individual Yogurts typically stay in my fridge for 3 or 4 months sometimes before I finish them.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is just a matter of choice whether or not you want to eat it. I don't think it would make anybody sick.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt you'll get sick, but I wonder what it will taste like. You're right about the high sodium, though....maybe it's just better to get rid of it in the long run?

ETA: Last year I used a turkey that had been in the freezer for a year. I debated it for awhile, but then figured I'd try it....I knew it would be safe to eat, but I was leery of the quality, the taste. But I brined it first, then roasted it. My sister thought it was one of the best turkeys she had had in a long time. Go figure!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd throw it out and never buy it again, but not because of the expiration date. The ingredients are designed to have a long shelf life but are trash for your body. I don't believe Hamburger Helper is ever safe to eat.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no known allergies...but something in Hamburger Helper, when it first came out, would give me a rash. Never figured out what it was.

I've been in the food delivery business, both for health foods and for Wal-Mart grocery stores. I'd be more afraid of milk, fresh fruits and vegetables, and such than anything in a package, at least as far as freshness and safety are concerned. Just as example, no one gets Legionnaire's Disease from eating Hamburger Helper.

This is the Hamburger Helper that comes in a packet, right?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
DH once made expired hamburger helper for dinner. I stress the word 'once."

No one got sick, but it truly tasted disgusting...the sauce also didn't thicken with cooking, so it was runny. That was the first and last time I ate hamburger helper.

So, while I doubt it would hurt you, I can't recommend eating it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies, everyone.

Linda, you are a fountain of information!

I don't know if I'll use it or not. The only reason I'm considering it is because we're getting low on food and money, and I have some hamburger that needs to be used up (I didn't buy the garbage: my roommate did). It sure isn't for the nutritional value: I actually don't like Hamburger Helper.
But I'll eat it if there's nothing else. I'll just have to plug my nose and gag it down.
I've found that if you doctor the stuff up, it's tolerable - sans bugs.

If I use it and you don't hear from me, y'all will know that it wasn't any good.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Yes, it's fine to eat.

The date you see on packages isn't an "expiry" date. It's a "best before" date, which is completely different. Just because something has reached or passed the "best before" date, doesn't mean it suddenly becomes inedible.

The Health Department explained to me that the date is simply a guideline to let the consumer know when the product is the freshest. If it's before the date, it's peak freshness. If it's after the date it's still edible but may not be as "fresh" as it would have been before that date.
Yep, I agree with this. The dates are really a guideline. And a lot of them are arbitrary, food companies want you to think the food is bad so you have to go out and buy more (and they make more money). If it looks and smells ok, then it's ok.

Now, as to the issue of whether it being Hamburger Helper is safe or not... well, that's a whole other discussion..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I would toss it. Six months after expiration is alright IMO. But after that, bye-bye food......
The sad thing is is that I wouldn't take a chance feeding something that's expired to the furkids, but I might take a chance.

I most likely won't use it. It's only a last-minute option if I become desperate...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once made up a box of kraft mac and cheese that was about 11 months past the use by date. It was disgusting and I had to throw it away, which meant I wasted the butter and milk I used to make it with. So in an effort to save a buck, I lost one instead.

It's not worth it. Put a couple dollars in the back of your wallet, and if you ever find yourself food-less use those dollars to buy a box of mac and cheese.

Some foods actually may become harmful if you eat them when they are too old. Molds can develop, or so I have read on snopes.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some things I will eat but some I won't. I will not eat anything like Bisquick, Flour or cake mix after the date.

I have a friend that told me a friend of her's son almost died from eating a cake from an expired cake mix. The health dept told them that their was spores that were in the cake mix and to never eat flour type items after the expiration date.

But then again, I have been eating rice that I bought over a year ago. I cannot find an expiration date on that. It tastes just fine.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work at a pharmacy where we also sell grocery items. Whenever things expire, we get to eat them while we're at work, lol. I haven't ever been sick because of it, and neither has anyone that I work with, and we all eat the stuff. Mostly things like popcorn, chips, chocolate bars, candy, etc, but we occasionally get kraft dinner cups and things like that. They all taste fine, but are kind of stale (minus the chocolate, it always tastes the same).

I did make a box of kraft dinner once that was about a year past the expiration date. The noodles were fine, but the sauce didn't have any cheesy flavour, so it was kind of gross. I ate it anyways because I didn't have much food, lol. I also don't drink milk, so I always make my KD with a bit more butter than normal and a bit of water.

I also asked the health inspector when he was at our store what was ok to eat past expiration or best before dates and he said most things. We can't sell them, but they are generally safe to eat. With fresh things, smell them first, if they smell off or their consistency isn't normal, don't eat it. He also suggested not using any flour type products more than a few weeks after expiry because of mould/bugs.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

The sad thing is is that I wouldn't take a chance feeding something that's expired to the furkids, but I might take a chance.

I most likely won't use it. It's only a last-minute option if I become desperate...
Ain't that the truth... Our furbabies get nothing but the best of everything and we...... well, we get what's left. If we don't hear from you, I will send out the "expired food police" to save you