Would really appreciate advice for feral cat around my home

floyd n ralph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, i am brand new here (first post actually). I have some questions  that i hope you all could help me with.

My wife and I have 2 cats, they are both inside cats and my wife is obsessed with keeping them indoors because she lost one when she was younger and couldn't fathom is happening again. I wasn't even a cat person until we got married and now i don't know what i would do without them. None of that has anything to do with my question, just some background. 

What i came to ask is; recently there has been a cat hanging around our front yard. It was sporadic at first, but every time i would see him, i felt awful because he looked so mangy and skinny. So i started giving him some food whenever i would think about it. Then he started coming around regularly and i would feed him more. I don't really have an issue with it at all, i've actually grown to kinda like him, even though me makes this awful screeching crying noise every time i walk outside. So i'll list my questions/concerns below, and if anyone can help or give advice on any of them , i would sooo appreciate it.

1. I have started to notice more cats congregating in the yard. I love cats, but i dont want 5 cats wondering about my yard everyday if at all possible.

2. How often should you feed a cat like this? I feel like the loud whining and crying will never stop unless i feed him. Any tips on that would be great.

3. My inside cats have become quite interested (obsessed) with him. They stare out of the window all day and i feel like its unfair. 

4. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, i feel awful for this cat because its starting to get cold outside. Please help with what i should do for some sort of shelter.

Sorry for the extremely long post. I just am so new to cat ownership and would appreciate some guidance. I have a huge heart for all animals and i want to do whats best without turning my front yard into a cat hangout area.

Thanks! any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing you should do is try to trap the cats, maybe one at a time, so the cats can be spayed, neutered, and given shots. If you don't spay/neuter you are going to end up with a lot more cats, and fast.

You certainly don't want your indoor cats anywhere near the outdoor ferals until they see a vet.

Lots of other members will have tips for outdoor housing and feeding. Good luck! You're doing a good thing!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is exactly how I started my ferel cat colony. I felt bad for one cat and started feeding it. More came and then she had a litter.

I agree that trapping and getting them fixed is of course ideal, but will be easier if you get a regular feeding schedule set around the same time or times a day. I would also build a few shelteres before hand. I wish I would of done that first, I was scrambling to make these after I got the kitties fixed. There are plenty of websites on how to build. Just google ferel cat shelter. Make sure to use straw for insulation and not hay they do the exact opposite things.

The regular feeding and shelters will give you an idea of how many and what you are dealing with so you know how many traps to get, etc.

I feed twice a day,morning and night. I feed and then clean up after they are done. This is so I dont attract wildlife like raccoons and possums, and to not attract anymore cats. I would love to help them all but there are 100s in my hood and I would go insane. Once a day feeding is fine too, its a lot doing two.

You are doing a super great thing! It can be a lot of work but in the end I love my little group of outdoor kitties!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TSC. Your story sounds like many of our stories. One stray cat led to two, led to four, etc., so trapping this cat as soon as possible would be my first order of business. The minimum is spaying or neutering and a rabies shot. Other vaccines are recommended but that depends on your budget.

As Lesliel76 said, feeding during the day is essential so as not to attract wildlife. Providing him with shelter is important as well. It can be elaborate or as simple as a tote with a hole cut in its side and filled with straw.

You need to decide what your plans for the cat are. It sounds like he has friends and relatives who might want to join the party, so it's best to figure out a plan that will include them, if needed.

If there are any organizations near you that help with stray/feral cats, please contact them for advice and support. Depending on their resources, you may get more help than you expect.

Thank you so much for stepping up to the plate for this guy!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the others seem well fed and just coming around for free food I would suggest feeding the one you want and then picking up the food. If the little one you are fond of is not neutered he will get into a lot of fights and suffer a miserable life, I have cried when I have brought some to the vet, they can really make you wonder if you are doing the right thing, they are so scared. But a neutered male is pretty much ignored by the big tom cats and that is what you want. It also stops the spraying and yowling. As for your other 'obsessed' cats, it is really giving them something to do, and you never know, my two inside cats got to know a stray through the glass and now they are all friends! I always thought it 'unfair' for the outside cat, he sees what he is missing!

I get 'heated cat houses' on Amazon for less then 50.00, they take the worry of cold weather away and use less then 40 watts to run, you can also look for heated cat pads on sale at your local farm supply or big department stores and put them in your own cat house. I know what you mean by not wanting your yard to be overrun, I feed two cats now that I know have homes, they are too well cared foe, and have for two years. The cats I feed eat and then disappear until the next feeding, and believe me, they learn quickly when to show up! Bless you for caring for this little one, I pray that you can continue, I know he can give you much love and devotion!

steve0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Floyd N Ralph,

I feel your passion for the strays on the outside LQQKING IN, believe me, I have a similar issue. Three years ago I noticed 4 cats in my backyard one on top of the other.  This, I later discovered was how they were keeping warm.  The Mother was on the bottom, the alpha was on top of her, and so on.  I felt terrible for their well being. I obtained an old dog igloo they use it today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

floyd n ralph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all of the help.

So after i made this post, i started doing some research, because my first concern was how cold it was going to get last night. I went and bought supplies and made a homemade heated cat house for him by basically taking a storage container, filling it with hay and styrafoam and cutting a hole for entry. (My inside cats had no clue what was going on and were quite captivated :) . It was so cold last night that i never even saw him when i came home and i never saw him go into it last night. He must have already burrowed down for the night. I am hoping to come home today to see that he has seen it and approves. 

I guess the next line of business is to get it trapped and take it to the vet. I can't imagine how difficult this is going to be (for many reasons). I also sometimes worry what if this is someone else's cat?? But its been coming around daily and always around the front porch all night for about 2 months now.

but it seems like everyone is in agreement that this is a necessary step to get it spayed/neutered. Feel free to offer suggestions.. I dont mind researching online, but its gets to be cumbersome and hard to find answers that you know will work (which is basically what led me to joining this site).

So again, thank you all so much for  your responses. You all seem like wonderful people with a heart as big as mine for these little rascals. Thanks in advance for any advice at all!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if the cat is trap savvy, you will need to start feeding in the trap for a few days. Tie the trap open and put the food at the back of the trap. Once she is used to going in to eat, make your appointment and.set the trap to spring so that she spends as little time in the trap as possible.

I have kept cats in the trap overnight. You can use a shed but I've used my bathtub in cold weather. A pee pad on the bottom of the tub will catch anything and help with clean-up. Once you trap the cat, cover the trap. It will help keep her calmer.

A female needs to be recuperated for two days or so. A large dog crate will work for this. A male can be released the day after surgery, so he can come home in the trap and spend the night in the tub again. Again, covering the trap or crate will help keep them calm.

Trapping and recuperating is nerve racking but so important. Thank you again for helping him.

Last edited:

steve0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 OK Here's the issues I'm having with the two feral's I trapped three years ago.

a. they are constantly digging on an antique Victorian chair my parents left me when they passed away. It's totally destroyed! Now They are working on the couch described below.

b.they are totally scared of me. example-I had to cough today, one of them actually jumped 3 feet straight up in the air took off and hid behind the $800.00 couch he is getting underneath and destroying the fabric, he does this when ANYONE visits me THEY BOTH DO THIS

c. one will let me brush him the other,,, runs away & hides. Hes the one that is the long haired one. I cannot chase him down as I am disabled and it would be impossible.

d. can't get them to the vet..can't catch them.  there is NO programs or anything in place for issues like these

I'm thinking this is not fair to these guys and was going to release them and do as I have for the other 15-20 I TNR'd.  BUT ....... really don't want to do that.

Or re-homing is another option but no nibbles as yet look i dont want to do this but whats best for them is my concern

I will get over the void of their absence.  It's their happiness that will and does remain my most important priority.  

My goal was to get them use to me when I first got them by holding them.

I COULD NOT CATCH THEM

It was a bad idea for me to take them but it seemed like ALL the person from APL wanted to do was home them anyway-anyhow, then off to the next problem.

I expressed my concerns but they were convinced i could accomplish this.

any input  would be appreciated

I have tried just about every discipline  method there is including double sided tape....THEY ATE THAT.

AGAIN:

I need some help  here!!!!

I've set the house up for them. I play with the an hour a day.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats do not like citrus, so perhaps spraying the furniture with a lemon scented something would help keep them off it.

As to catching them - is there a way for you to set up a trap?  Perhaps in one room, away from the rest of the house.  At the least you could get one at a time.  I can't remember if they've been spayed/neutered yet but that needs to be done ASAP if not.

Are you in a position to build them a catio/enclosure outside?  It is sometimes the perfect solution to handle ferals.  They have an outside life but are safe from wandering.being hit/getting into trouble.  Lots of ideas for them on the web.   Might be something to think about.

steve0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK Here's the issues I'm having with the two feral's I trapped three years ago.

a. they are constantly digging on an antique Victorian chair my parents left me when they passed away. It's totally destroyed! Now They are working on the couch described below.

b.they are totally scared of me. example-I had to cough today, one of them actually jumped 3 feet straight up in the air took off and hid behind the $800.00 couch he is getting underneath and destroying the fabric, he does this when ANYONE visits me THEY BOTH DO THIS

c. one will let me brush him the other,,, runs away & hides. Hes the one that is the long haired one. I cannot chase him down as I am disabled and it would be impossible.

d. can't get them to the vet..can't catch them. there is NO programs or anything in place for issues like these

I'm thinking this is not fair to these guys and was going to release them and do as I have for the other 15-20 I TNR'd. BUT ....... really don't want to do that.

Or re-homing is another option but no nibbles as yet look i dont want to do this but whats best for them is my concern

I will get over the void of their absence. It's their happiness that will and does remain my most important priority.

My goal was to get them use to me when I first got them by holding them.

I COULD NOT CATCH THEM

It was a bad idea for me to take them but it seemed like ALL the person from APL wanted to do was home them anyway-anyhow, then off to the next problem.

I expressed my concerns but they were convinced i could accomplish this.

any input would be appreciated

I have tried just about every discipline method there is including double sided tape....THEY ATE THAT.

AGAIN:

I need some help here!!!!

I've set the house up for them. I play with the an hour a day.

steve0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK! Here we go... UPdate\Coviud19 era. My cats are actually become the bestest in the world! They didn't get the virus..but I lost my younger brother to it! 11.21.20 😢
I have promised the to be their steward in this/ their lives..They are so much comfort to me. as I am D I V O R C E D.and disabled..I*m very fortunate... Here we are 8years since their TN..no R= release lol! All has worked out. I just had my 73rd trip around the sun and can't tell ya how much i've learned how to manage issues by my own devices. for instance, i was getting to the point that Litter detail was causing physical problems,bending down getting up etc. I researched an item called 'The Litter Robot'. This worked for 1 but not the other! So I figured a way to achieve my goal by being patient, using catnip & toys on the entry point. Now both are using this great item. Saves me on litter usage BIG TIME!
Vet says,"They are both healthy" both AOK. So this,"Tale of Two Kitties", has had an outstanding outcome..
Never give up, Keep your goals close to your chest. They are worth it I occasionally catch a post on Facebook,called "Da Adventures of Franklin and Butters" This is such a fab way to rescue Barn/feral cats in the community. Please have a LOOK ~>on:D FB:yess:
PEACE_OWT

Last edited:

steve0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, i am brand new here (first post actually). I have some questions that i hope you all could help me with.

My wife and I have 2 cats, they are both inside cats and my wife is obsessed with keeping them indoors because she lost one when she was younger and couldn't fathom is happening again. I wasn't even a cat person until we got married and now i don't know what i would do without them. None of that has anything to do with my question, just some background.

What i came to ask is; recently there has been a cat hanging around our front yard. It was sporadic at first, but every time i would see him, i felt awful because he looked so mangy and skinny. So i started giving him some food whenever i would think about it. Then he started coming around regularly and i would feed him more. I don't really have an issue with it at all, i've actually grown to kinda like him, even though me makes this awful screeching crying noise every time i walk outside. So i'll list my questions/concerns below, and if anyone can help or give advice on any of them , i would sooo appreciate it.

1. I have started to notice more cats congregating in the yard. I love cats, but i dont want 5 cats wondering about my yard everyday if at all possible.

2. How often should you feed a cat like this? I feel like the loud whining and crying will never stop unless i feed him. Any tips on that would be great.

3. My inside cats have become quite interested (obsessed) with him. They stare out of the window all day and i feel like its unfair.

4. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, i feel awful for this cat because its starting to get cold outside. Please help with what i should do for some sort of shelter.

Sorry for the extremely long post. I just am so new to cat ownership and would appreciate some guidance. I have a huge heart for all animals and i want to do whats best without turning my front yard into a cat hangout area.

Thanks! any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!
This incessessed whining may be a female in heat??