Would My Tom Cat Try To Kill His Kittens?

vtheone4me

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female calico just had a liter of four 2 orange tabby like our male orange tabby and 2 calico like her, well the one orange tabby passed away this morning and the one calico was breech and still born. While my female was in labor our orange tabby got out the house and got back in a few hours later and when he did my calico turned on me and my two children when he came close to my bedroom where she was in the box with the one orange tabby kitten. Why did she turn on us? Also our orange tabby got out again and my husband let him back in should I place him in a cage or put him back outside to avoid him upsetting our calico? Please help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My female calico just had a liter of four 2 orange tabby like our male orange tabby and 2 calico like her, well the one orange tabby passed away this morning and the one calico was breech and still born. While my female was in labor our orange tabby got out the house and got back in a few hours later and when he did my calico turned on me and my two children when he came close to my bedroom where she was in the box with the one orange tabby kitten. Why did she turn on us? Also our orange tabby got out again and my husband let him back in should I place him in a cage or put him back outside to avoid him upsetting our calico? Please help
If the female and the male are normally pals, no, he wont hurt them.   Toms killing kittens arent myth, but its practically always unknown toms from outside.

So the kittens dont even need to be his biological children, its enough he is pals with the momma, and he wont hurt them - possibly even help to protect them and take care.

We dont recommending the resident tom be with momma is mostly, momma can get in new heat very soon, and we dont want a new litter that soon... that is why.

OK, here, the momma dont want him near.   Possibly because he has different smell on him after being outside...   So THIS is reason more then enough to separate them.

btw, that is why she attacked you and your biological children.  Its redirected aggression, not unusual.  One of the few occasion where an otherwise friendly home cat may turn really ferocious on his cat pals or even owner.

Another  reason for separation is, the fact you let him outside.  The kittens dont have much immunity at this moment - just some form mommas milk.   And you dont want totally new bacterias coming in from outside...

So, my recommendation is you  keep him away from them - in cage or otherwise, and also, do neuter him as soon you can manage.

Observe, he may impregnate her at least a ten day after the neutering. Possibly even longer.

This will also help him with not wanting to wander off so much, etc, etc...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, two of the kittens went stillborn, there was a breach delivery, possibly making momma extra much in pains.  theyr MAY be other complications too.  Its more than enough to make a good momma extra shaky, anxious and edgy.

Please, observe her and monitor, her and the kittens. You arent out of the woods re them.  I would say, see it as Yellow Alert, till you by weighting on scale or with naked eye and touch, clearly see they are growing and developing nicely....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep mom and her remaining 2 kittens in a room with the door closed so the male cat has no access right now.

It is mom's instinct to be protective of her kittens, which means when she gets nervous she may lash out.

It's best to give her as much privacy as possible right now, and not handle her kittens much until they are a few weeks old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vtheone4me

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u so much. Mommy cat and remaining 2 kittens are doing very well and they are putting on weight. Mommy cat is not leaving them for no longer than a few minutes to eat or use the litter box.