Would matatabi powder be calming in the carrier or is this a terrible idea?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway failed me with my Hima so I’m looking for another option to make the car trip less stressful for her. She totally reacts to matatabi powder but of course it’s with hyperactivity / playfulness. Has anyone tried that or catnip in the carrier? I’m hoping it could make the trip less stressful but also worried if she still gets scared, with the matatabi effect on top of it, that will be challenging for her heart?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t use a stimulant to keep a cat calm, personally. Have you tried valerian spray? Beaphar has a version of it. There’s also Pet Remedy :>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t use a stimulant to keep a cat calm, personally. Have you tried valerian spray? Beaphar has a version of it. There’s also Pet Remedy :>
I will try to find the Bearhar one for the next next vet trip! Too late for tomorrow’s trip though. Thanks for the suggestion 🌸

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she gets really stressed, you could ask your vet about prescribing something like gabapentin. I keep some on hand for my boy who gets stressed during long drives and it helps. It does last a good portion of the day though and tends to make some cats very sleepy, which can be a little bit disconcerting for some people.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try to find the Bearhar one for the next next vet trip! Too late for tomorrow’s trip though. Thanks for the suggestion 🌸
If it’s tomorrow, you might want to try some camomile tea, just make sure it isn’t a blend. You want German camomile, rather than English(German is normally used in non-blend tea, which is what you want, anyway, but always good to check); brew a cup, cool it, and give 1 to 5 teaspoons :>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she gets really stressed, you could ask your vet about prescribing something like gabapentin. I keep some on hand for my boy who gets stressed during long drives and it helps. It does last a good portion of the day though and tends to make some cats very sleepy, which can be a little bit disconcerting for some people.
If it’s tomorrow, you might want to try some camomile tea, just make sure it isn’t a blend. You want German camomile, rather than English(German is normally used in non-blend tea, which is what you want, anyway, but always good to check); brew a cup, cool it, and give 1 to 5 teaspoons :>
Thank you both for the suggestions. The vets here are quite against giving a calming medicine. Not sure why.