Would love to know what colors/breed my kittens resemble

Tddsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens who were rescued from cat hoarder situation. They are not from the same litter but lived together. I was told they are ragdolls but they clearly look mixed to me. All of the cats in the home had a white base color, pale blue eyes with various markings. I took them to the vet m loom to be checked out and was told they’re not eight weeks old (like I was told) but only five and six weeks old.....but doing very well. Anyway, The vet said she thinks the girl is a lilac pointed, lynx, mitted and the boy appears to be a flame tip (his tail and ear tips are orange). I’m just curious how do you tell the difference between Lilac and chocolate? Also how do you tell the difference between a flame and cream point? None of this matters, as they’re obviously just pets but my boys and I were curious. Oh and one last question. I’m assuming they’re going to be short hair but when will we know for sure they won’t be more of a medium coat? Thank you in advance! I’ll attach photos of the kittens and parents. You can tell the parents appear dirty. They were living in a garage with a lot of cats so it’s hard to distinguish markings from grease/dirt :(

Attachments

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chocolate point are a chocolate-y-brown color. Lilac is a pale purplish color. Lilac points have a pinkish-gray-purplish colored nose. Cream points are dilute of flame points so cream points are a paler version of flame points. The adult cats are not ragdolls.

This one looks like a ragdoll to me but most likely a mix. Wonderful picture, by the way.

Once the kittens are eight weeks old, you can tell what coat length they will have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tddsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are lovely kittens! :redheartpump:

The slightly darker one is lynx point (tabby point) with white markings. My guess from the picture would be blue lynx point, but it's possible that she might be seal lynx point. She is definitely not chocolate or lilac lynx point, judging from her dark nose and the grayish tone of her tail. As she gets older and her color deepens, it will be easier to tell for sure whether she's dilute (blue) or not. With some kittens, you can look at the paw pads to help determine point color, but since she has white on her paws, that won't work :)

With the lighter colored kitten, he has a white face without any apparent markings, but appears to have reddish point markings on the ears in the pictures. So he is probably either red or cream point (red is also known as flame point) with a lot of white markings. As he gets older, you will see his color deepen, and it will be easier to see the borders of the white spotted areas. It's not possible to tell if he's red point or cream point from these pictures. Red point and cream point can look pretty similar, especially in young kittens.

The kittens appear to be shorthaired in the pictures, as does the adult cat that is standing up (maybe the dad?). One adult lying down (one of the moms?) appears to be either blue tabby and white, or blue lynx point and white, or maybe a dilute tortie version of one of these colors. It's hard to tell the point color on the other crouching adult that has mostly white. The adult standing up looks like probably a blue lynx point and white... although it could possibly be seal lynx point and white. If all possible parents are blue of some sort, that would be more evidence that the female kitten is blue lynx point and white, and the male kitten would be cream point and white.

I'm not seeing anything about the parents or kittens that would lead me to believe they have Ragdoll ancestry. Most cats aren't any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs. That doesn't make them any less pretty or special, however! They are gorgeous cats, and it's great that you were able to rescue them :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tddsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the detailed information! I really appreciate your help.