Would Love Some Help Estimating!

Hubble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi y’all! I’m happy to be here and hoping for some help in estimating the approximate cost of owning a cat.

I know cats do best in pairs and would intend to get two kittens if I can comfortably afford it.

Be prepared for incorrect math! It was never my strong point. Lol

Here we go!

The food I have selected is a dry food, and pretty high quality ingredient wise. It’s $32 for 16 pounds, and if my math is correct there are 64 cups of cat food in 16 pounds, and the average cat eats 1/2 cup a day which would equal three bags per year, a bag every four months, which is $96 per year plus tax.

I’ve never had a cat, so I have no idea how accurate the 1/2 cup a day thing is. It just seemed to be the most common reader my other sites and what came up on google. I have no intention of starving my cat!

Litter wise I’m planning to use the pine wood pellets made for horse bedding that come in 40lb bags with a covered sifting litter box. (this one, to be exact: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LUL4L2/?tag=thecatsite )

But, I have no idea how much litter I should expect to go through. I would scoop solids everytime the cat goes, and do the sifty thing every morning.
How many bags should I expect to go through every week/month for one cat?

How often will I need to purchase a new cat tree? I’m assuming they don’t last forever since the cat is always laying on and scratching it.

I’m assuming toys/treats will be around $20 per month, at least at first until I figure out which toys they prefer.

This isn’t counting vet care or emergencies (I’ve already priced the vets in my area for annual and emergency care) just annual things like food/litter/toys/treats.

My startup supply list for one cat contains:

Carrier

Litter Box

Big Cat Tree

Smaller Cat Tree

Cat shelf and steps w/ built in water and food dish holder (I have a dog)

Harness

Breakaway Collar

Leash

Two ID tags (one for harness and one for collar)

Toys

Treats

Bed

Brushes

Nail Clippers

Cat Tooth Brush and Toothpaste (I can try, right?)

I will be getting a persian from a good breeder (or a siberian, but I’m leaning towards the persian) and plan to do all the grooming myself.

Basically: How much do you spend monthly on your cat? Do I have everything covered supply wise?

Thank you for reading!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi H Hubble Welcome to TCS

The food I have selected is a dry food, and pretty high quality ingredient wise. It’s $32 for 16 pounds, and if my math is correct there are 64 cups of cat food in 16 pounds, and the average cat eats 1/2 cup a day which would equal three bags per year, a bag every four months, which is $96 per year plus tax.
You need to work out how much food your cat will need based on his body weight. Kittens have a much higher calorie requirement than cats over a year old, senior cats will need different food to young adults. As a general rule cats need 25 to 35 calories per day per pound of their body weight. So a 10lb adult cat will need around 250 to 350 calories a day. But some cats are big eaters and manage to stay lean, others put on weight more easily.

I'd really recommend than you look at wet food rather than dry. It's higher in protein, lower in carbs, better for their teeth and less likely to cause weight or health problems in the future.

How often will I need to purchase a new cat tree? I’m assuming they don’t last forever since the cat is always laying on and scratching it.
Invest in the best quality tree you can afford and it will last for ages. The cheaper ones are usually made of cardboard tubes covered with sisal and cheap chip board covered with fabric. They only last a year or so and then you have the hassle of dismantling it and disposing of it. Go for one made of wood, or make your own.

This isn’t counting vet care or emergencies (I’ve already priced the vets in my area for annual and emergency care) just annual things like food/litter/toys/treats.
Have you thought about pet insurance? If you only have one cat it works out cheaper to pay into a monthly policy that covers flea, worm and tick treatment (Yes, even indoor only cats need this) annual blood tests, dental care and vaccine boosters. If you're lucky your cat won't need much vet care in the first 10 years, but as they age it can get very expensive.

How much do you spend monthly on your cat?
Way, way too much, but I have a lot of cats.

;)

We'd love to see some photos of your new cat when you get them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I will be getting a persian from a good breeder (or a siberian, but I’m leaning towards the persian) and plan to do all the grooming myself.
Another warm welcome to TCS! :wave3: I love the Persian breed also.:hearthrob: I've had two Persians in the past and one at present so a total of three. Two of the three we adopted/rescued. One was a reject from a breeder and, therefore, considered pet quality which didn't bother us in the least. He had the wonderful Persian temperament and for the most part was very healthy. However, please be aware when you take into consideration your budget and health issues that Persians are prone to certain problems such as but not limited to:
Heart Disease, Thromboembolism, Brachycephalic Syndrome, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Dental Disease, Feline Lower Urniary Tract Disease and FIP Susceptibility. We lost our second Persian to FIP at the age of three and it was devastating. 😿 Our present Persian has had a lot of problems with Dental Disease due to FORL and Hyperthyroidism, both of which have been treated but at a very costly expense which meant going into our savings.

I would strongly suggest keeping a Persian cat indoors since they are not streetwise which puts them at risk of getting attacked by other animals. They are loving, affectionate and docile cats who would not do well with the danger of outdoor cats. They are perfectly content to stay at home with you by their side. :catlove: I wish you the best of luck in your search for one or two kittens. You may also want to consider an adult Persian and look into purebred rescue groups. Please keep us posted and feel free to ask about any other questions or concerns.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
forget the smaller cat tree spend that money towards the tallest one you can fit and afford into your home.agree with what neely posted about persians being taken outside. food cost i spend around 100 bux give or take monthly to feed graycie depending on if i buy new or different brands for her to try(lots of times food gets refused and end up feeding the trash can instead) :lol:i also buy her food by the case and try to keep more than a months supply of canned and dry food for her at all times.since you plan on getting two long haired cats dont forget to invest in a good vacuum and lots of lint rollers you will need em when they shed for summer

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome! I’m still fairly new here but have leaned so much from this community and they have been such a supportive group! I’m sure you’ll find the same here.

I have two cats. One is 2 years old and the other is 5 months old. I pay about $150 per month for both cats (that doesn’t include vet bills or medications). One of my cats has issues with her lungs so she’s on medication that costs about $20 per month.

Just a few things to consider.

Kittens eat a lot of food and need to be fed a kitten formula food at least three times a day. My kitten eats three 3 oz cans of food a day.

If you choose to do pellets for cat litter when you first adopt your kittens you may need to transition them from normal litter to pellet litter. They will more than likely be use to normal litter and might not like the feel of pellets on their paws and could stop using the litter box.

More than likely kittens can be healthy for several years without needing additional vet care to their normal shots and checkups. However unexpected thing’s definitely can happen and you should be aware that you may need to spend a lot more on vet bills (ask me how I know why. I’ve spent well over $2500 at the vet for my girl who I’ve only had for 10 months and am still doing tests for her).

Lastly I would highly recommend feeding wet food. I’ve noticed my cats having less health problems with wet food and it’s much better for them. I still feed a little kibble every few days so if I have to leave for the day they are use to kibble and I can put that out for them. I do a mix of different wet food so if one gets recalled or there’s a shortage my cats will eat other kinds. It also helps them not be so picky.

I have absolutely LOVED having my cats and they bring so much joy into our house. They have helped me with my mental health and are always there for me. Every penny I’ve spent on them have been so worth it and Im sure you’ll find the same to be true!

I would love to see them when you get them! Please post pictures! Also if you need anything everyone here at TCS is more than happy to help!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep away from dry food, wet food is much more healthier and start them off with different brands and textures such as pate, shredded, fillets etc. that way down the road with the situation nowadays with pet food a lot of times if you only feed them a certain brand it might be out of stock so if they have a variety the better. Also if you can do it I would recommend keeping the cats as indoor cats only. Otherwise if you let them out even on a leash they could bring in fleas or ticks and believe me once you get fleas in the house its very hard to get rid of them. Flea treatments can run into money also. I would also recommend when they’re still kittens get them used to being picked up a lot and play with their paws so they get used to you touching the paws because that would make it lot easier when it is time to clip their nails. If you do a search the this site there’s a forum,
” anything you wish you had done differently with cat when they were kittens”
Its good advice. Worth the reading!
Also take in consideration the cost of them getting shots and you want to get them spayed or neutered. Some locations actually have clinics where you can get them spayed or neutered cheaper than at a regular vet. In my area they have what I call a traveling vet that will go to several different pet stores once a month and they give them the needed shots which is a lot cheaper. I have 12 indoor cats and that’s where I had most of my cats treated (shots) also in my area when I have the first litter of kittens someone mentioned to me there is a Spay Wagon that goes around to different towns and you can make an appointment bring your cat and they will spay or neuter them a lot cheaper.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and welcome! You've gotten some terrific advice and replies above.
For kittens, if you have breakables, museum putty can be extremely helpful.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips - TheCatSite

This below is a little different perspective from your actual question but it might be useful:

First-time Cat Owner's Guide - TheCatSite

also, here is the thread that was mentioned;
” anything you wish you had done differently with cat when they were kittens”
Its good advice. Worth the reading!
Anything you wish you had done differently with your cat when they were a kitten?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give them what you can afford to eat. A good quality grain free dry with wet food twice a day is where I have always fed with no problems. my outside cats get wet once and dry the rest of the time and are healthy. 2 cats are really just as cheap as one. Bring them to the vets at the same time to avoid them smelling different and hating each other for a while. It should be only one office visit charge too! Much less waste when feeding two, and less toys because they have each other.

drustone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is what I think: estimating the cost of owning a cat is difficult because there are many variables that come into play. That said, the cost of caring for two cats can be broken down into two distinct categories: one-time costs and ongoing costs. One-time costs include the purchase price of the cats, the cost of spaying/neutering, and any medical tests or vaccinations. Ongoing costs include things like food, litter, and vet visits. Depending on the quality of products you purchase, the average cost of owning two cats will be anywhere from $1,000 to $4,000 annually. In addition to these costs, it's important to consider the time it takes to care for cats as well.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vet costs for the first year, for me, usually are in the $800-1,000 range. That's for all first year shots, check ups, spay and neuter, blood work for baseline, etc. After that about $100-300 a year for annual with the variance depending on whatever vaccine is needed that year and if its a blood work year (annual after 7 every 3 years when younger). Plus $200-400 for dental when needed (which for a Persian I would plan for annual dental because their jaw positioning doesn't lend itself to good dental health). Which bring the annual vet expense per cat to $300-700 depending on what needs to be done at dental and what vaccines are needed. I also like to have an emergency fund of $1k per cat in my savings BUT I use that for annual costs and refill it so it runs low around annual time. I am probably going high on vet costs but I also have a cat who has cost me over $15k in just his emergency vet costs in 9 years so my normal is high.

Toys, I agree with buy the good quality cat tree. I can usually find nice ones that just need some cleaning at thrift stores. But you can also buy new. My cat tree is 6 years old and still in good shape. Plan on $100-300 for a good large cat tree. Other toys, buy one of each type (shiny, feather, rattle, catnip, crinkle, etc) and figure out what your cat likes. Figure about $40-60 when kittens then about $20-30 a year to replace broken ones of the type they like. You can get away with less cost here by rotating out toys and buying on sale.

Food, you are way underbudget even if you go dry. If you scrimp on food quality you will spend more on vet bills. With Persians, their mouth shape does mean you have to be picky with kibble because the wrong one could be hard for them to grab and cost you more in wasted food. I agree amount will depend on calorie needs and kittens need more calories per pound. For my three adults, who are a wet and dry mix, I spend between $300-400 a month depending on if I get lucky with sales. I would budget for $75 per cat per month to make sure you can afford decent food. You mught be able to skate by with $30/cat a month but anything lower and you are risking health for budget IMO.

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS! It would be very hard for me to estimate on how much we spend a month (I spoil our cats; DH really, really spoils our cats), but it's a good little bit. We have one cat, Daisy, who loves strawberries. I became a strawberry farmer as a result. :lol: In the winter, we have to buy them from the grocery store, which gets expensive. My best advice is to avoid treats all together if possible. Mine are addicted to treats, and they can get expensive. Your kitten(s) won't miss what has never been tasted. The treats my cats favor pack on the pounds, too.

I had a Persian as a child, and she was very sweet. She was gifted to me from my aunt, who was a breeder. Persians do require a lot of grooming, so it is good that you are able to do this yourself.

I wish you the very best and can't wait to see pictures of your kitten (s).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hubble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much!

I appreciate all the warnings on dry food. Definitely sounds best to avoid it!

I messed up on the price of the dry food. I have no idea HOW I managed to make such a big error (and I just spent the last thirty minutes trying to figure it out...lol) but the food I was pricing doesn’t even come in 16lb pound bags, it comes in 15lb bags for about $66 which is $200+ per year IF the cat only eats 1/2 a cup a day. More as a kitten, of course.
That food was recommended on a persian cattery website, grain free “Life’s Abundance” dry food. It looked pretty good to me?

What do you all think of “Instinct Frozen Raw Bites Grain Free Cage Free Chicken Recipe”?
It’s a frozen raw food which I’m assuming would be much better then freeze dried raw for moisture content?

I’m well versed in dog food, but cat food, not so much! (yet, anyways, I definitely plan to be)

Ingredient list:

Chicken (including Ground Chicken Bone), Chicken Liver, Chicken Heart, Montmorillonite Clay, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Carrots, Apples, Butternut Squash, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Yeast Culture, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), DL-Methionine, Mixed Tocopherols (for freshness), Blueberries, Spinach, Rosemary Extract.

I’m aware that most cats won’t take to pellet litter right away, I am planning to have to transition. As for unexpected vet bills, especially high ones, I own horses...enough said. Lol

There is a spay/neuter clinic here that will do it cheap, BUT based on what I’ve read, flatter faced cats like Persians are at a higher risk when under anesthesia so it’s best to get all the blood work done and use the best vet possible to try to avoid a bad outcome.
I’m not saying that the vets at the clinic are bad, I know people who have had cats done there and it went great, but I could never forgive myself if I went the cheaper route and cost my babies their lives.

Just a disclaimer: This is not a “How do I keep a cat for next to nothing?” kind of question! This is a “How much should I expect to spend on a monthly basis taking the absolute best care of my cat as possible?” kind of question. My pets are spoiled and loved to the moon and back!

I just like knowing what to expect, which I don’t think is too terrible of a crime...? I apologize if I came off the wrong way in my first post.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a spay/neuter clinic here that will do it cheap, BUT based on what I’ve read, flatter faced cats like Persians are at a higher risk when under anesthesia so it’s best to get all the blood work done and use the best vet possible to try to avoid a bad outcome.
I’m not saying that the vets at the clinic are bad, I know people who have had cats done there and it went great, but I could never forgive myself if I went the cheaper route and cost my babies their lives.
If you're planning on buying a pedigree kitten from a breeder they will have been spayed/neutered, blood tested and vaccinated before the breeder lets them go. Unless you are planning on buying a kitten with breeding rights because you want to start breeding yourself, breeders will only sell spayed/neutered kittens in order to ensure unethical breeding or accidental litters don't happen.

Be wary of anyone offering "pedigree kittens" who hasn't had the kittens fixed, tested and vaccinated. Reputable breeders would never do that. Even none pedigree kittens from rescues usually have all the basic vet care done before they go to a new home. That's all covered by the rehoming fee.

It’s a frozen raw food which I’m assuming would be much better then freeze dried raw for moisture content?
Are you planning on feeding raw? There is the easier, healthier-than-dry middle ground of canned food as well, but if you are interested in raw feeding we have a forum for that.

Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food
I just like knowing what to expect, which I don’t think is too terrible of a crime...?
Not at all. It's always wise to be well prepared

;)

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Though Persians can be great pets, you might want to check out a local shelter or rescue in a couple of months. Kittens season is almost hete, and shelters will likely have an abundance of kittens in all shapes, sizes, and coat lengths. Adopting a pair of kittens is much cheaper than purchasing a pair of kittens. And you're saving a life!