Would it be wrong if i took my mothers neglected cat to a no kill shelter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nick1302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's absolutely true that having a pet can have therapeutic effects for your emotions and overall health. :)

When I was in school, I was taught that it is proper to refer to an animal as "it" when you don't know the animal's gender or when you are unfamiliar with the animal or the owner. However, after somebody introduces you to the animal and tells you whether it's a boy or a girl, it is okay to refer to the animal as "he" or "she" as the case may be.

For instance, if you were a wildlife biologist studying animals in nature, it is more proper to refer to animals as "it."

If you were a veterinarian speaking of animals in a clinical setting, it is more proper to refer to animals as "it" but, if you were talking to a client about their pet, it is more proper to refer to the animal as "he" or "she."

When a person speaks of an animal in the wrong context it makes them seem like they are being cold when they should be friendly or overly familiar when they should be neutral.
I really doubt that cat gives a shiter whether Irefer to it as an "IT" or not. It's an animal.

Nick1302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad and I understand now. I have a family member who views animals pretty much the same way.

Bless you for making the efforts that you are.

Ther is NO shame in not being able to care for the Cat properly yourself. It is a commitment. I can see you are really trying to help but are stuck.

.... but if they need to be moved, please try a rescue.

Yes - but - it depends on where you live.

In many of the US states and Canadian provinces, animals have NO rights. They are considered property. It's pretty disturbing. We've been fighting a long time to have them recognized with their own set of rights across the board.

Edit to add: I would hope most Vets would refuse that ... the problem in refusing is... what is that person going to do with/to the animal? And that is a separate heartwrenching topic. :-(
[/QUOTE

That's how it is were I live. An owner can have them put to sleep for whatever reason. It is pretty messed up

Last edited by a moderator:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not mean to sound rude or anything, and if you think I am pardon me:

This cat has not much years on earth, so he/she must be provided with the best love and care he/she deserves in the first place. Thank you for your efforts, but please try to have someone to keep this cat strictly inside with all the cat bed, tree, toys and everything that would make him/her happy until he/she passes on to the next phase. This cat should be on retirement mode, with someone to administer to him his meds on time, and provided utmost TLC.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's how it is were I live. An owner can have them put to sleep for whatever reason. It is pretty messed up
I agree. It's very messed up. That's unfortunatly what happens when people view little creatures as nothing. What happens when we lose our compassion for other things. It's a big reason why they need to have some rights.

How are you doing with everything?

Nick1302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism? I'm unclear on which.

HypER- means the cat's body is making TOO MUCH thyroid hormone.

HypO- means the cat's body is making TOO LITTLE thyroid hormone.

Neither is painful, PROVIDED, the cat gets the care she needs.

I get the impression that you are worried about things that aren't as bad as they seem.

Yes, your mom's cat needs care but, no, this isn't the end of the world. Don't let your worries push you into making rash decisions.

Take things as they come, one day at a time.

Solve problems rationally and thoughtfully and things will come out as well as they can.
Yeah, that's my problem. I always fear the worst in what a situation might bring, instead of taking one day at a time, like you say. The fact that my mom even considered letting the cat die from hyperthyroidism just terrifies me.