Would It Be Better To Rehome Or Make Cats With Behavioral Problems Into Outdoor Cats?

juliamarie32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know people's emotions and opinions can be heated when it comes to pets but please be kind about this. It is a very difficult decision that I'm facing.

I have 4 cats total. Two of them are very well behaved and we don't have any issues with them. This post is about the other 2.

The one cat (Female named Lillie) is 4 years old and I've had since she was a kitten. She is not spayed though I am getting her spayed next week. If the spay does not help, we will not be able to keep her, at least not in the house. She has a major problem with peeing and pooping all over the house. It's been an ongoing issue that gets better for awhile but never corrects itself and then comes back. She has no health problems that we know of that contribute.

The other cat (Male named Murphy) is older (we found him as an outdoor stray so we don't know exactly how old he is but we're thinking 10-12). He has the same issues with pooping and peeing all over the house though his have seemed to get worse lately. He does have several chronic health problems (teeth issues and chronic ongoing skin /allergy issues) but I'm not sure whether they contribute. He is neutered but wasn't neutered until an older age when we found him.

They have plenty of litterboxes (2 in basement, 3 on main floor, and 1 upstairs). I have tried less boxes, more boxes, different styles of boxes, different styles of litter, training litter, enzyme sprays in the areas where accidents occur. Nothing seems to fix their problems. I am due with our first baby soon and we just can't have this anymore. My husband said it's time now. If spaying doesn't fix her problems, Lillie's gone. Murphy is currently having a bout of his chronic hot spots (skin issues) so I am going to see if once they are healed he doesn't snap out of it once he feels better. If not, my husband says he's gone as well.

Now Murphy loves the outside, sometimes I feel guilty for making him an indoor cat anyways. We took him from the outdoors when we found him and he's constantly trying to get back outside. I think he would be just fine, and actually probably love it, with an insulated hut and food and water dishes outside. We could even set him up a nice cat house with a heating lamp during the winter and heated water bowl.

Lillie has never been outside a day in her life. Not to mention the other two cats (well behaved ones) are her mom and sister. So not only would I be separating her from her mom and sister, we'd be putting her outside when she's never been before. Do you think it would be cruel to turn her into an outdoor cat at this point? Would it be better to rehome her? My fear with rehoming her is that no one will want her with her issues, or that they'll take her but she'll end up just getting taken to a pound and put down when they can't fix her problems either.

I love my cats dearly, but we can't have this anymore. It's driving a wedge in my marriage, it's not safe for the baby, and frankly it's getting exhausting. What would you do in this situation or what do you think is the most fair to them?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Going through heat after heat is enormously stressful to a cat, so finally getting spayed is definitely going to help Lillie. While she is at the vet please have them do a thorough exam on her to make sure she doesn’t have other issues causing her inappropriate elimination.

But since they both have litterbox issues I am wondering if there is something about their litter boxes that they dislike. Are the litter boxes extra large and not enclosed? Are you using unscented litter? Are you scooping a couple times a day? Just checking.

As far as making them both outdoor cats, if you are talking an enclosed space with heat, there is a small possibility it might be fine for both but a larger possibility in my book that each would be miserable. And you are correct, rehoming would pass the litterbox issues on to someone else and the cats would likely move on to shelter before being euthanized.

If you can’t keep them then searching for a no kill shelter might be the best option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliamarie32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going through heat after heat is enormously stressful to a cat, so finally getting spayed is definitely going to help Lillie. While she is at the vet please have them do a thorough exam on her to make sure she doesn’t have other issues causing her inappropriate elimination.

But since they both have litterbox issues I am wondering if there is something about their litter boxes that they dislike. Are the litter boxes extra large and not enclosed? Are you using unscented litter? Are you scooping a couple times a day? Just checking.

As far as making them both outdoor cats, if you are talking an enclosed space with heat, there is a small possibility it might be fine for both but a larger possibility in my book that each would be miserable. And you are correct, rehoming would pass the litterbox issues on to someone else and the cats would likely move on to shelter before being euthanized.

If you can’t keep them then searching for a no kill shelter might be the best option.
Thank you for your thoughts! They have a variety of litter boxes - the ones on the main floor are covered (a very large round Budda one with steps, a smaller round budda one with no steps, and a regular XL square covered box). The one upstairs is covered as well, another XL square one, and the two in the basement are uncovered (one plain jane square litter box and one with a guard thing that goes around the rim.) We have a variety in an attempt to please everyone.

I try to always use unscented litter, yes. Multiple times a day is not possible with our schedules but I do try to scoop every evening.

To answers on the outdoors, no it would not be in an enclosed space. They would be outdoor cats with access to a cat house set up. Murphy was already an outdoor cat once so I don't think he would mind this arrangement, but I'm not sure that Lillie would benefit from it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can they be indoor/outdoor cats? My mom has a cat who doesn't use the litterbox reliably, so they started letting her go outside every day and now she goes potty outside and everybody is happy. And she can come in when the weather is bad or she just wants to be around humans. Their neighborhood is reasonably safe for this and one of their other cats is indoor/outdoor so it's not weird for them, just a shift in that particular cat's schedule.

Since you're considering making them outdoor-only, I don't think it would be a huge difference if they were allowed in and out as they wished. And you can introduce it gradually for the kitty who has never been out. Just make sure they're up-to-date on their vaccines.

If money isn't a problem, there are sanctuaries that will provide lifetime care for a price.

Are the other females spayed? If not, I'd have that done too. Their hormones may be affecting Lillie and/or Murphy.

juliamarie32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh and I should add that having uncovered ones on the main floor is not an option as we have a dog and he will get into them and eat the feces or mess with the cats while they are using them.

juliamarie32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can they be indoor/outdoor cats? My mom has a cat who doesn't use the litterbox reliably, so they started letting her go outside every day and now she goes potty outside and everybody is happy. And she can come in when the weather is bad or she just wants to be around humans. Their neighborhood is reasonably safe for this and one of their other cats is indoor/outdoor so it's not weird for them, just a shift in that particular cat's schedule.

Since you're considering making them outdoor-only, I don't think it would be a huge difference if they were allowed in and out as they wished. And you can introduce it gradually for the kitty who has never been out. Just make sure they're up-to-date on their vaccines.

If money isn't a problem, there are sanctuaries that will provide lifetime care for a price.

Are the other females spayed? If not, I'd have that done too. Their hormones may be affecting Lillie and/or Murphy.
Thanks for the advice! I suppose we could try having them come in and out as they want but I'm not sure how the logistics of that would work. I wouldn't want a doggy door as there are a lot of neighborhood ferals and strays so I wouldn't want them coming in. I suppose I could just let them in whenever they come up to the door and act like they want in.

The other two females are spayed, yes.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if you simply put the two outdoors, you are putting them out to die. Yes, your boy may have been an outdoor cat once but he is a senior now and used to an indoor life. They will get lost, hit by vehicles or attacked by predators. It is just cruel and better to have them euthanized than to do it to either,

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you simply put the two outdoors, you are putting them out to die.
I don't think letting well-fed, neutered, vaccinated cats go outdoors in a reasonably safe neighborhood is exactly a death sentence. Many cats are allowed outdoors. It's not optimal but it's better than being PTS for inappropriate house habits.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you simply put the two outdoors, you are putting them out to die.
I don't think letting well-fed, neutered, vaccinated cats go outdoors in a reasonably safe neighborhood is exactly a death sentence. Many cats are allowed outdoors. It's not optimal but it's better than being PTS for inappropriate house habits.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Going outdoors when they choose, and coming in when they choose is entirely different than being sent to live outdoors, especially in a cold climate.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are the other 2 female spayed? How do the cats interact? Is there any dominance behavior?

Things you probably already know: Clean all spots with a good enzyme cleaner.

juliamarie32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the other 2 female spayed? How do the cats interact? Is there any dominance behavior?

Things you probably already know: Clean all spots with a good enzyme cleaner.
Yes, the other two cats are spayed. Norah (the mom of Lillie and the other female cat Luna) is definitely the dominant pet in the home and always has been. I'm not sure if there are issues persay, but the other cats do not get along with Murphy very well. That's part of the reason I have such a variety of shapes and locations of litter boxes, Murphy likes to hide away where it's quiet sometimes so I try to keep boxes in areas that are more secluded for him.

And yes, I do use an enzyme cleaner for accidents currently. Luckily, we don't have any carpet in the home so it's fairly easy to clean up on hard floors and spray and wipe with the cleaner.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have the resources to build a secure, safe catio with a solid, weatherproof cat house inside? That would be ideal, given the situation. The cats would not be using your house as a giant litterbox, but would be safe and secure, and where you could visit frequently for love health checks and support. I've seen a few with seats inside so that owners can sit comfortably with their cats.

I have real reservations about cats at large in most areas. Indoor cats who are just put outside have a very short life expectancy. NOTHING has prepared them for this. If there aren't cats and dogs, there are coyotes and such. And they would be very hard to rehome with their issues.

juliamarie32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have the resources to build a secure, safe catio with a solid, weatherproof cat house inside? That would be ideal, given the situation. The cats would not be using your house as a giant litterbox, but would be safe and secure, and where you could visit frequently for love health checks and support. I've seen a few with seats inside so that owners can sit comfortably with their cats.

I have real reservations about cats at large in most areas. Indoor cats who are just put outside have a very short life expectancy. NOTHING has prepared them for this. If there aren't cats and dogs, there are coyotes and such. And they would be very hard to rehome with their issues.
I mean, we could build them something in the garage but that seems cruel just to keep them locked in a garage by themselves all the time.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is their diet like? When my cats have these problems, it's usually linked to their diet.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should rehome them. Find a no-kill shelter, and be honest about their issues. These problems are all solvable, but it will take a lot of work and more trial and error, and it might not be doable if you can't devote a huge amount of time and attention to them, which it sounds like is not practical for you. And I don't say that to make you feel bad! It happens. People end up with animals who have needs that they can't accommodate all the time. Good shelters understand this.

I think ideally, if Lillie were spayed and then went to a new home or foster home, and kept in one room for a time with room to play, sleep, eat, and have a litter box, and she was given attention and care by someone who understands cats, she could really flourish and rebuild good litter box habits. The calm, peace, and routine of that situation might go a long way.

Murphy's issues sound more medical than behavioral, so in some ways those are even easier to fix, although they will probably cost more. I have lots of recommendations-limited ingredient diet (for allergies and skin issues), wet food (better for urinary tract-this might be causing his urination problems) and probiotics (good for constipation, which is common cause of cats defecating outside the box, especially as they get older). But again, these will all be easier to fix and enforce if he were in an environment without other animals and distractions. His stress levels would also go down if he were around fewer animals.

I am extrapolating a bit from your post here, but I also suspect that these cats are disliked by your husband and they can sense it, and they might do better in a home where they are appreciated by the entire household.

On letting them outside: I do NOT think this is a good idea at all. For ANY cat, unless you can be with them and have them on a leash and harness or contained in a catio. I realize these sound like strong words, but the safety of any cat is compromised dramatically when you put it outside and that is not a matter of opinion. There are dozens of dangers that an indoor cat would just never encounter, and most of these dangers are very common. It's not like the risks are negligible.

Predators and cars: wherever you live, you're going to have at least one if not both. Coyotes and birds of prey will kill a cat to eat, pet dogs that have gotten loose will attack a cat if they have a high prey drive when their instinct kicks in. Cats don't instinctively know to avoid cars, and they often nap under them for shade in the summer or curl up under the hood for warmth in the winter. Especially if a cat begins to lose their hearing or sight, they might not notice the car starting up or coming around the corner.

Other cats: Even though your own cat may be fixed, lots of other outdoor cats are not, which makes them more aggressive and territorial, and when they fight, they fight to do serious harm. Even if a cat can "hold his own" pretty well in a physical fight, wounds and injuries can get infected. Which brings me to...

Disease: Other cats are an excellent source of diseases! Even if your cat has been vaccinated, there are still diseases spread between cats that we don't have vaccines for yet, or the vaccines we do have don't provide full immunity. Some of these illnesses are deadly, some are minor, but even minor illness weaken the defenses of a cat that also battling everything else the outdoors throws at him. And parasites are constant for outdoor cats. Everything they walk through, they ingest, because cats clean themselves by licking themselves off. That means they ingest all those parasites and germs from feces-contaminated puddles that they walk through. Cats are also excellent hunters and hunt for fun, and mice and birds are another great source of disease.

Inattention: a major health risk is that outdoor cats just don't spend as much time with their people, and this leads to people being less likely to notice when something is actually wrong, so health problems go untreated. Litter box habits are one of the biggest clues that something is wrong with a cat's health. Or even just noticing if a cat has diarrhea or is vomiting-an outdoor cat owner would have no clue. Tying into the car example above, I had someone tell me once how they lost their cat because it had started to loose its hearing and they didn't notice because he was an outside cat. And then she ran over him in their driveway because he didn't hear her car.

This is just a summary-I can go into much more detail for all these examples and more. I list this to make it clear that letting a cat outside on its own is a scenario that should be avoided if at all possible.

Back to the topic of rehoming them: you have a full, busy house and it's nothing to be ashamed of if it isn't the right place for these cats. If you can find a great home to place them in that's excellent, but it is hard to determine who is a responsible owner on your own, and a shelter would be better prepared to do that for you. Plus a good shelter will work to address their medical and behavioral issues before putting them up for adoption. Be prepared to pay an admittance fee, and if you are willing to make an additional donation to cover the cost of Lillie's spay and any other basics that would make the shelter more willing to take them in, that might be a good idea.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A catio connected to the garage or a window? Install shelves on walls up high for them to jump on? Maybe it's stress being around so many cats and dogs. If you must rehome them post pics on Next door A friendd of mine opened the door one morning and found pieces scattered around her yard. Another friend lost her cat and found her a week later in her neighbors yard. She was torn apart by dogs

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know this must be stressful for you, espcially while pregnant. My first thought is to keep the 2 cats with litter box issues in one room, just to limit the damage and buy time. You could let them out with suppervision. I'm assuming once she is spayed all your cats will be neutered or spayed? If not, that needs to be step one. It can take up to a month for her hormones to balance out so don't expect instant results.
My next thought is this may be a dog problem and not a cat problem. Your dog needs lots of training. Your cats should not ever have to worry about a dog while trying to go! That would stress a human out!!! Your cats need one room where they have some litter boxes where your dog is never allowed, under no circumstances! I would also watch a few cat versus dog episodes. Many cays prefer uncovered boxes, especially cats that were feral. Not only that but sometimes there are bully or jerk cats who like to bug or attack another cat while they go. Lastly I'm wondering if there are ferals outside that are stressing your cats out? You can make your front and back yard unappealing to neighborhood cats by doing things like setting up motion activated sprinklers to chase off all unwanted visitors. Given your dog stressing them out, that she is not fixed and I'm guessing neighborhood intruders a better question might be, why are my other 2 cats using their box? Also they may not be, unless you have cameras and a black light, you may only be catching those 2 cats doing it. Without a black light you can never find the hidden pee, and trust me it is there.

My punk Dante bothers my other cat Salem by sniffing him while he uses the box. So I leave one box uncovered so he would quit hanging half his body out of the box while he went. He started getting so stressed he stepped in his own pee clumps couple of times.

If none of the above things work, then yes you should re-home your cats. You can also have fencing installed on top of your fencing so it keeps intruder cats out and your cats in. Then you could let all the cats and the dog be inside/outside animals whenever they wanted.