Would anyone like to actually talk about Trump???

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by mschauer, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    She's, um, slightly more qualified than this guy. But, sure, everything you say Obama shouldn't have done, it's just fine and dandy if Trump does it. It's "different".

2. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    A bit of a chat about human rights would have been nice. Not patting him on the back for murdering people in the streets. Yeah, yeah, due process is for sissy liberals. . .until you're the one being shot in the streets by government goons.

3. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    If you really believe that truth will set you free, read the following article very carefully.

The Facts on Uranium One - FactCheck.org

jcat and LotsOfFur purraised this.
  4. xlpooper

xlpooper TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    I'm not arguing that fact Willowy, she is more qualified. Just tryin' to balance things out a bit and show things go both ways.

5. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    That's a double edged sword and isn't that the United Nations job to do? I know that dude said terrible things to Obama when Obama called him out on human rights and I don't think it did much good.
    My point in my post was pretty clear, whatever or however Trump treated this dude, the Left would have hated it regardless.

6. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
  7. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    How does it balance things to reply with how Obama nominated someone who is actually qualified when someone says this guy isn't qualified and it's obviously favoritism? I don't see the link.
    Don't you hate the UN?
    Yeah, that's kind of what bad guys do. Doesn't mean you have to support them.

8. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    I'm sorry you have such a hard time figuring out my point.

9. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    What is your point? It helps to have it clearly laid out instead of making vague hints.

10. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    My posts are clearly laid out, no worries.

11. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    This is what our politics have devolved into, a gotcha game. I don't defend Donald Trump, he is an outlier, neither Republican or Democrat.

I think the best example going now is the thing with Roy Moore, and no I do not defend Roy Moore. The Republicans are calling for him to step aside but it started out mainly Democrats. Democrats were on all the cable shows calling for his head and some of the most partisan were saying that the Republican party is the party of men who abuse and demean women.

Going back to Bill Clinton. Those same people were on the side defending Clinton. It was the same deny deny deny and dig up dirt on his accusers. That fell apart when poor Monica Lewinsky hung on to that blue dress. With the Clinton's they said that the accusers were all part of the 'vast right wing conspiracy' instead of 'fake news'. The same people laughing at the 'fake news' excuse bought the 'vast right wing conspiracy' hook, line, and sinker.

We need to get past this 'gotcha' game. We need to get back to the idea that there is a right and a wrong that transcends political party. Neither of these parties are worth this kind of blind loyalty.

xlpooper purraised this.
  12. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I wonder if this is part of the problem. The majority of Americans are under 40 (37.8 is the national median age, meaning 50% are older than that and 50% are younger) so we had nothing to do with Clinton, only hearing about it from the adults. And we see the hypocrisy of the politicians, and it's frustrating. And yet---how many politicians are under 40? We aren't well represented. I don't want some 70-year-old who supported Bill Clinton's (or anybody's) misconduct making political decisions for me!
    Was this ever true in American politics? It would be nice, that's for sure.

13. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    This article written at the time explains the blatant hypocrisy Clinton and Women It helps explain why people who remember this sordid episode have a tough time when Democrats get on their moral high horse. It is why they still have a real problem with the Clintons and they don't like Democrats pointing fingers at them about who is really on women's side.

14. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    OK but here's what I'm trying to say: the majority of Democrats (presumably---younger people tend to lean left) had no say when it came to Clinton as president. We barely remember him. Why take it out on us? Let's look at the current policies of each party instead. If I wish to rant about the current batch of jerks, I don't want to hear someone saying "but what about Bill Clinton?" I was 12, I had nothing to do with him.

LotsOfFur purraised this.
  15. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
  16. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Maybe now that the Clintons are riding off into the sunset. It was well known that Hillary Clinton coordinated the response to what was called Bill's 'bimbo explosions' starting when he was Attorney General in Arkansas. Clinton Allies Defend President - 01-25-98 From that article written at the time:

First lady Hillary Clinton is still taking charge of strategy on the White House response to the allegations. Sources say she is a strong proponent of an early and visible response, and they confirm she is advising Clinton aides and friends who have been seen on various talk shows throughout the weekend.

A big part of that strategy was trashing his accusers. Again I am not defending Trump but every time I would hear Clinton talk about the women that Trump victimized and how horrible it was. How horrible it was when he called them liars. Every time I heard that I would think 'excuse me what about. . .'

xlpooper purraised this.
  17. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    That's adorable. However, I'm fairly sure that if Obama had been popular in China there would have been a bunch of squalling about it, every Republican in the country would have said he was a communist. . .of course, since it's Trump it's just fine with them.

micknsnicks2mom, Winchester and LotsOfFur purraised this.
  18. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    The Chinese are brilliant at giving people what they think people want. They are masters at the art of that kind of diplomacy. Trump loves to be loved. ;)

19. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    The conditions that made it possible for Donald Trump to be elected have been years in the making. It isn't one thing that happened in 2016. We have always had low information voters probably more so in the past then now. My Grandmother was born in 1900 and the highest grade she went to in school was the sixth grade. She knew absolutely nothing about anything policy related but she voted a straight Democratic ballot every election.

Yes there are racists and sexists but I think it is better now then it used to be, the further back you go the worse it was.

There has been an acceptance in the last twenty years of things that never would have been accepted before. There is a willful blindness to anything that doesn't fit with people's idea of how things should be. There are more people now who believe that they are 100 percent right and anyone who doesn't agree with them is 100 percent wrong. This has developed over time it didn't just happen in 2016.

Yes the stuff with Bill Clinton happened twenty years ago but they don't just go away. We seen a middle aged woman in tears over what Roy Moore did to her in the 70's. It's not something that people just buck up and get over. This was a tweet from Chris Hayes, a young progressive and I think he is right.

As gross and cynical and hypocrtical as the right's "what about Bill Clinton" stuff is, it's also true that Democrats and the center left are overdue for a real reckoning with the allegations against him.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM