would a third cat help? or....?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Friends. I have Yuki and Mittens. Mittens is 12, a quiet, well behaved girl. Yuki is 2, and he is high spirited, full of beans. Their relationship is NOT a match made in heaven. I had hoped it would improve over time but it has not really. Yuki goes after Mittens - no one is hurt ever, and the chases is not even really aggressive but Mittens makes a lot of hissing and etc. Sometimes Yuki is relentless in his chase. So I wonder about a third cat, someone closet to Yuki's age. Would this help? I am also fearful that it could backfire badly - with more disruptive behaviors or worse. Comments appreciated, esp. from those who have had this problem.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Young cats need playmates, that's why they usually encourage getting two cats close to the same age. If you can afford a third cat I'd try it. This coming from someone who has 7 cats, lol.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a bit of a toss up. A young cat could give the two year old a playmate and stop him from pestering the older. Or, you could now have one or both of the younger cats pestering and ganging up on the 12 year old. I have had it go both ways unfortunately. If you decide to proceed I would get another adult cat, a year or two old, from shelter that will allow you to return it if it doesn’t work out. Or, alternatively, a cat you can foster while you see how your cats react.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s a bit of a toss up. A young cat could give the two year old a playmate and stop him from pestering the older. Or, you could now have one or both of the younger cats pestering and ganging up on the 12 year old. I have had it go both ways unfortunately. If you decide to proceed I would get another adult cat, a year or two old, from shelter that will allow you to return it if it doesn’t work out. Or, alternatively, a cat you can foster while you see how your cats react.
Many years ago, I had 2 cats and added a third because of disharmony between the first 2. The third cat eventually became the dominant cat but he was a really good cat. The 2 males would occasionally gang up on the female but sometimes not. So a third possibility is a combination of possibility A and B.