wouild like to adopt

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i  wouild  like  to  adopt   but  i  dont  know  what  to  look  first  time  going  to  shelter   me  and  mom  went    last  monday     we  saw  some  older  cats  but  i  sort  of  want  a  young  one    they  had  2  kittens  that  were  in  a  separete  room  they  wouildnt  tell  us  why  they  were  in  there  one  loved  my  key  chains  that  i  had  on  my  walker    please  help  me  i  dont  know  what  to  look  for  

marrin713

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have time and energy for a kitten?

These older cats get overlooked in the shelters which is a shame. Does your shelter have a cat room? If they do you and mum could go into it and see who comes to you.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that kittens take a lot of time, energy and extra attention! My husband and I are in our fifties and healthy, and we adopted a kitten, knowing it would likely be the last time we'd adopt a kitten. If we adopt again, it will be an older cat. We are able to care for a kitten now, being active and healthy, plus we also know that cats can live a decade or two... and we wanted to make sure -- well, that what remains of our own health and life spans matches hers as much as possible. Our cat will be two next month, and let me tell you, she's been an active kitten, but also not without a few health issues that we've luckily been able to address.

Last edited:

janets98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my first cat ever from a shelter 15 months ago (I've always been a dog person) and am so glad I bought a 7 year old cat instead of a kitten. She is still playful but does not have the energy of a kitten and since I have mobility issues, that's fine with me. If I adopt another cat, I will adopt a senior cat. It just broke my heart to see so many of them and know that they would live the rest of their lives in a shelter instead of a home.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I adopted my first cat ever from a shelter 15 months ago (I've always been a dog person) and am so glad I bought a 7 year old cat instead of a kitten. She is still playful but does not have the energy of a kitten and since I have mobility issues, that's fine with me. If I adopt another cat, I will adopt a senior cat. It just broke my heart to see so many of them and know that they would live the rest of their lives in a shelter instead of a home.
I agree.  The last time we adopted, we got kittens.  They are fun and adorable, no doubt about it, but if I were to adopt again, I'd look for an older one, too.  

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that kittens take a lot of time, energy and extra attention! My husband and I are in our fifties and healthy, and we adopted a kitten, knowing it would likely be the last time we'd adopt a kitten. If we adopt again, it will be an older cat. We are able to care for a kitten now, being active and healthy, plus we also know that cats can live a decade or two... and we wanted to make sure -- well, that what remains of our own health and life spans matches hers as much as possible. Our cat will be two next month, and let me tell you, she's been an active kitten, but also not without a few health issues that we've luckily been able to address.
I echo your feelings about adopting an older cat in the future.  We adopted a kitten at about the same age as your DH and you.  As you mentioned, the kitten was very, very active. 
 Now that we are slightly older, our present cat is an adult and even though he is playful he tires out about the same time as us. 

Last edited: