Worries about NEUTERING : šŸ„ŗ

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there,

you are correct in Italy the procedure is cheaper and faster. It took about 1 hour, but here in the usa I had to leave the cat in the morning at the vet. I was able to pick him up in the afternoon.

He is a 5 month old kitten although I was a little torn about neutering him I knew it was for the best. On petfinder there are over 100.000 cats with no home and looking to be adopted and being an indoor outdoor cat I wanted and had to do it.

The good news is that the procedure went really really well, it almost as if the cat could not care less. My understanding is that cats have sex only to reproduce but they do not do it for fun like humans.

I too was told to have the cone for a 7 - 10 days after the surgery but what happened is that he wore the cone mostly the first 3-4 nights. During the daytime we were able to watch the cat and if he licked his private area we would put the cone back on.

Obviously every cat reacts differently but with a little common sense you will be able to know when it is ok to take the cone off. Cats need to groom themselves and to stay one entire week with a cone it will be challenging for any cat.

We also took the cone off when he was eating and drinking.

Your cat is still very young and neutering is now a standard procedure, just make sure you select a good vet or a place that does this kind of stuff all the times. $ 300 is on the higher range but if money is an issue on the other side of the spectrum there are specialized places that to do it for free or for a reasonable price. Certainly less than $300 but if you totally trust your vet then go for him/her.

We ended up going to a place that deals with a lot of cats on a daily basis. Same thing for the 3 cats in Italy.

In the end we have 4 cats 2 females 2 males all indoor outdoor and all neutered/ spayed. Although in the usa we do not have a garden the cat loves to go out on a leash every day.

So far so good, couldn't be happier and I believe I talk for the cats too.

Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the UK had my cat done. It cost 45 pounds, I dropped him off in the morning picked him up at 5 pm no bloods were taken or tested and no cone was given there was a option to buy one but vet didn't think it was necessary. Some vets here do still say cones are needed I think it depends on the cat you can buy in pet shops or vets if you feel you need one.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had my boy neutered last December. It was around Ā£50, and similar to @Tik cats mum, I took him to the surgery in the morning and picked him up late afternoon. I was offered the choice of bloods but with a healthy, active cat under 6 months old I felt it wasn't necessary. He didn't need any painkillers and he would only have needed a cone if he'd obsessively licked the area (he paid pretty much no attention to it at all).

Used to have Bengal and when they were done, one of them did have to have a cone for a few days as he wouldn't leave the wound alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies !

I have the $350 neutering scheduled for next week cause he is getting kind of nervous and the cheaper Miami Dade Animal services first spot available would be in 30+ days

Well, I'm fine with paying this cause it's only 5min drive and I'm sure it will be less stressful for him

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Procedure done today. All was good, blood work, operation.

I gotta say I'm a very paranoid person when it comes to pets. And I'm a little overwhelmed and worried about few things, maybe you guys can help:

- Vet gave me 4 "medicines": painkiller for 3 days, anti-acid for 3 days, probiotics for 7 days, antibiotics for 7 days. I don't like "medicines" in general, I'm concerned they'll do bad to his stomach. I'm thinking of giving half doses or for a shorter time ?!

- I thought Adam would be so tired and sleep when back home, instead he has been moving around the house no stop, asking for food, browsing around. He has been at the vet for 7 hours and then another 7 hours at home without sleeping. Is this good or bad ? And the vet told me to give me 1/4 of the usual amount of food but he keeps begging for it ! I have to say that he didn't eat for 18 hours....

- CONE! Vet told me I must have him wear it ! In Italy I had 4 cats and none of them had cones. I tried and Adam literally go crazy to remove it and I'm afraid he'll injure himself ! At the same time I'm scared he would lick the wound

- LITTER. Vet told me nothing about it. I have a clay clumping litter and im now worried it will stick to his fur/wound

Uff, Maybe I'm just paranoid

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I gotta say I'm a very paranoid person when it comes to pets. And I'm a little overwhelmed and worried about few things, maybe you guys can help:

- Vet gave me 4 "medicines": painkiller for 3 days, anti-acid for 3 days, probiotics for 7 days, antibiotics for 7 days. I don't like "medicines" in general, I'm concerned they'll do bad to his stomach. I'm thinking of giving half doses or for a shorter time ?!

- I thought Adam would be so tired and sleep when back home, instead he has been moving around the house no stop, asking for food, browsing around. He has been at the vet for 7 hours and then another 7 hours at home without sleeping. Is this good or bad ? And the vet told me to give me 1/4 of the usual amount of food but he keeps begging for it ! I have to say that he didn't eat for 18 hours....

- CONE! Vet told me I must have him wear it ! In Italy I had 4 cats and none of them had cones. I tried and Adam literally go crazy to remove it and I'm afraid he'll injure himself ! At the same time I'm scared he would lick the wound

- LITTER. Vet told me nothing about it. I have a clay clumping litter and im now worried it will stick to his fur/wound

I wouldnā€™t mess with his prescribed medication, in this case he really needs it.

Iā€™d probably give him more food if heā€™s asking for it, worst case scenario heā€™ll throw it up.

Both of my recent cats were as active as usual after spay/neuter, but if youā€™re worried about Adams behavior, Iā€™d give a vet a call.

As for a cone, well, mine recent guys were also fixed in Europe and cone wasnā€™t even mentioned. Iā€™m wondering why itā€™s so different in the US. Vet even told me that they can lick clean the incision area and itā€™s ok, as long as they donā€™t pull the stitches. Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s something on the incision sites usually put in the US that requires cone. Again, Iā€™d call and ask vet.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Quinn was not tired really after. I kept him in my bedroom for a few hours at least so he could not jump around too much. Fed him as directed a few hours later, just a small amount of wet food. No cone, no meds at all. He did very well. They gave him some pain killers after the surgery I think and he didn't need more. None of the males I had neutered were ever on any meds, never wore a cone etc. Some were tnr and were in a trap or cage at first to recover.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnā€™t mess with his prescribed medication, in this case he really needs it.

Iā€™d probably give him more food if heā€™s asking for it, worst case scenario heā€™ll throw it up.

Both of my recent cats were as active as usual after spay/neuter, but if youā€™re worried about Adams behavior, Iā€™d give a vet a call.

As for a cone, well, mine recent guys were also fixed in Europe and cone wasnā€™t even mentioned. Iā€™m wondering why itā€™s so different in the US. Vet even told me that they can lick clean the incision area and itā€™s ok, as long as they donā€™t pull the stitches. Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s something on the incision sites usually put in the US that requires cone. Again, Iā€™d call and ask vet.
The cone is CYA. Some people are so lawsuit happy in the US they'll sue over any little thing, especially medical related. A whole generation has grown up seeing advertisements about medical malpractice lawsuits that they've been conditioned to believe anything that happens is the doctor's fault and they should sue for damages. Some people take this practice into veterinary medicine too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like the meds are just padding the bill :/. Most males do fine with just the 24-hour pain shot given with surgery. I don't think I'd give the antibiotics (and by extension the probiotics) unless he showed signs of infection---overuse of antibiotics is harmful to the individual and in general.

The pain med and antacid can't hurt anyway, and he can have a very pleasant 3 days riding high on opiates ;). I suppose the antacid is to keep him from throwing up the first time he eats after surgery.

I don't use a cone for neuters either. You know your kitty best, so it's up to you whether/when to use it.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do not just randomly halve/lower/shorten dosages of meds for your cat. For some things it wonā€™t matter but for other medications, not giving it as prescribed is a bad idea...giving half courses of antibiotics is a great way to foster drug resistant bacteria.

Secondly, there are a lot of ā€œmedicinesā€ that are very helpful that can save our cats lives, increase their quality of life, and take away their pain. Itā€™s understandable to be concerned about our pets but itā€™s also good to be informed! Probiotic is not a medication really itā€™s more of a supplement, but for the others the antibiotic is to prevent infection at the site and the painkiller is to help your cat be more comfortable for the first day or two - he did just have surgery! If you have questions about why any of these were prescribed, what theyā€™re supposed to do, and whether theyā€™re 100% necessary or can be given as needed you should call your vet, a good vet should be happy to explain. I think with really common procedures like spay/neuters they almost go on autopilot with the aftercare spiel since they do it so much so asking questions can be helpful

They may also tell you that certain meds can be discontinued based on your catā€™s behavior and how the healing is going - for example my vet recently prescribed 5 days worth of buprenorphine (a painkiller) for my cat after he had urinary tract inflammation and was peeing blood, but she told me I could stop giving it whenever he seemed to be comfortable and peeing normally again.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
Adam had the neutering past thursday.

Surgery went well.

I gave him antibiotics for 4 days.
I gave no pain killers cause he has been playful since day 1.

No cone, he hated it. He only licked few times.

Today is Day 5.

One question: will he calm down eventually ? :)

today he is crazy, wild, runs like an horse

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was 4 days the full course of antibiotics? You really should finish antibiotics after starting them, seriously. Doing a few days and then stopping is how we get antibiotic resistant superbugs

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:
Adam had the neutering past thursday.

Surgery went well.

I gave him antibiotics for 4 days.
I gave no pain killers cause he has been playful since day 1.

No cone, he hated it. He only licked few times.

Today is Day 5.

One question: will he calm down eventually ? :)

today he is crazy, wild, runs like an horse
In about 10 years he will calm downšŸ˜¹

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh really ?

I thought that without all those hormones going on, he would calm down

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's still an enthusiatic young kitty, hormones or no hormones. Neutering will keep him from getting hormonal, which could be described as "calming down", but neutering doesn't make them sedate or anything.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Itā€™s a rumor that neutering cats makes them lazier/more sedate, like W Willowy said. Neutering cats doesnā€™t change their personality, but it will eliminate some undesirable hormonal behaviors like spraying and mounting.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh really ?

I thought that without all those hormones going on, he would calm down
I think it depends on the cat, in males it can calm some behaviors and make them less aggressive etc due to lower hormones. But if they are very active and a young cat it wonā€™t stop that. It didnā€™t and hasn't calmed Quinn down a bit, really. So my former dvm said when I asked when will he stop wanting to play 20 x per day in 20 years or so, lol. He is a bit better than when he was tiny though.