Worries About My Kitten Being Constipated. Paranoid!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, go ahead and get him neutered. It's a quick and easy procedure.

Mom does not need another pregnancy. It's really hard on cats. Enjoy this one special kitten! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, go ahead and get him neutered. It's a quick and easy procedure.

Mom does not need another pregnancy. It's really hard on cats. Enjoy this one special kitten! :)
Haha nevermind the mom, I don't need another pregnancy. This one has been a nightmare for me :p

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm just joining this thread as I thought I'd mention that sometimes black or gray kittens born with a fever coat can appear to be pointed kittens with silvery or creamy bodies... seeming to mimic being a pointed cat. Depending on the health and appetite of the kitten after birth (and maybe the extent of the stress or possible illness the momma cat went through during pregnancy -- or if the momma was on a medication during pregnancy), most of the black or gray hair might grow back on the kitten by 8-12 months or so. You mentioned momma cat is a very nervous kitty normally and had a hard time with the birth, with only one surviving kitten. So, maybe that new kitten has a fever coat.

I found this link that actually talks about a black persian w/ such a coat:
Pictorial Case History Of A Black Persian Kitten With Fever Coat

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm just joining this thread as I thought I'd mention that sometimes black or gray kittens born with a fever coat can appear to be pointed kittens with silvery or creamy bodies... seeming to mimic being a pointed cat. Depending on the health and appetite of the kitten after birth (and maybe the extent of the stress or possible illness the momma cat went through during pregnancy -- or if the momma was on a medication during pregnancy), most of the black or gray hair might grow back on the kitten by 8-12 months or so. You mentioned momma cat is a very nervous kitty normally and had a hard time with the birth, with only one surviving kitten. So, maybe that new kitten has a fever coat.

I found this link that actually talks about a black persian w/ such a coat:
Pictorial Case History Of A Black Persian Kitten With Fever Coat
Thanks for this. This seems to be literally the case with my kitten. Today the kitten looks practically identical with the kitten from the first picture(the 2 weeks old).

Btw I can't open the "fever coat" link, so I'm wondering if you know if there is any danger for the kitten?
If there is I'll take it to the vet tomorrow, but I want to know in advance if there are any issues, so that I can focus the vet's attention towards that, because this feel like a really rare case and I wouldn't be surprised if younger vets haven't encountered this and both the vet clinics in my vicinity are with young vets.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "fever coat" in my post was just me putting that phrase in bold text -- it's not a link :)

I am not sure if there is more danger for a kitten with fever coat, than one without -- I haven't owned such a kitten before. But you could definitely check with the vet, and just make sure that momma cat and kitten are on their way to good health and eating habits!
:hearthrob:

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The "fever coat" in my post was just me putting that phrase in bold text -- it's not a link :)

I am not sure if there is more danger for a kitten with fever coat, than one without -- I haven't owned such a kitten before. But you could definitely check with the vet, and just make sure that momma cat and kitten are on their way to good health and eating habits!
:hearthrob:
I meant in the link you linked there was another link about fever coat, but I couldn't access it, but I did some googling and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the health of the kitten.
Your cat and kitten sound very healthy! Please do not add this to your worry list. :)
You are probably right. Just weighed the kitten and today it's 196 grams, so that's 15 grams more than yesterday. Seems to be gaining weigh in a healthy manner.