Worries About My Kitten Being Constipated. Paranoid!

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. This is my first post and this forum, so I hope that I won't sound to ignorant with my questions :)

So my cat gave birth to a kitten(just 1 survived the other 2 died :() on the 12 this month.
The first 2 days the kitten more or less pooped every 12 hour and I saw it each time, so the first 2 days I saw it poop 4 times. Since then I haven't seen it poop even once.
Around the 5th day(July 17th) I was too worried, so I brought it to the vet because presumably around that time I thought that it has been constipated for about 3 days now.
The vet checked for like 10 second and said that the tummy is soft and there don't seem to be any issues. Of course she said that chances are the mother cat is eating all the pop, so I shouldn't be worried about not seeing anything .
The reason I took it to the vet is because this is the first time that my cat gives birth and at the start she didn't look like she is mother-material(almost didn't clean him, I did most of the peeing and pooping, she kept sitting on him at least 2-3 times a day etc..) She is a lot more caring now and almost doesn't sit on the kitten(keyword almost :p)
So I relaxed for a bit, but couple of days later I felt like it's tummy is a bit swollen, so I decided to take it to another vet(July 20th). That vet checked the same way for about like 5-10 seconds at most and said that there don't seem to be any issues. The belly doesn't seem to be aggravated and he didn't want to do an enema if it's not needed.

Fast forward to today(July 22nd). The kitten looks like it's slightly lethargic and again I feel like the belly is somewhat swollen, but apparently I was wrong the 1st 2 times, so... I don't trust my judgement at all.
Apart from that, it appears to be eating without any problems. What I mean is basically every time it wakes up it goes to eat. Some time it eats more some time less, but I don't think I've seen it wake up and not go for some food.

I made the mistake of not weighing it since the beginning and only bought a scale 2 days ago, so I started weighing it since then.
On July 20th it weighed 151 grams
On the 21st it weighed 170 grams, so that's 19 grams more.
I'll be weighing again today in about 4-5 hours(trying to weigh it around the same time every day, for more accurate numbers).

What I'm worried is 19 grams in 24 hours feels like too much(at least compared to previous days). Could it be because it's constipated or I'm overthinking things. I'll be bring it to the vet again on Monday, but I'm really worried, so trying to get some info before then.

I should note that the mother weighed 1.8-1.9kg at around 2 years and a half of age. She was really malnorished when I got her because her mother didn't want to feed her. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't took her, 1-2 days later she would've died from starvation. Her back was even slightly deformed, but thankfully she grew up to be a completely healthy cat and everything is OK with her, except for the fact that she is ridiculously small(as I said 1.8-1.9kg two and a half years old cat). Her legs are as thick as a human finger lol.
On the other hand the father weighed 6kg when he was 9 months old. He is a somewhat rare breed of really big boned persian(both are persians). He somewhat looks like a lion. His paw is close to being half the size of a normal human hand lol.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because at first I thought that the kitten will look like the mother, but with the way it's gaining weigh I'm wondering whether the reason is that it's going to look like the father and not because it's constipated.
The father at 3 months of age was already bigger than the mother.

Sorry that this post got a big long(actually a lot longer than I intended), but I wanted to point out few things, so that people can get a better understanding of the situation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are worrying too much!

Kittens nurse all the time, and gain tons of weight. A full, round belly is normal and desired. It does not signal constipation.

Kittens do not overeat, and grow quickly, so need lots of nutrition to grow on. The more they gain the better!

Kittens who nurse mom do not generally suffer from constipation, as mom's milk is perfectly balanced.

Moms stimulate and clean their babies whether you see it or not.

You do not need to go back to the vet until the kitten is 8 weeks old. That is when vaccines begin.

The mom can be spayed when the kitten is 8 weeks also.

Try to relax! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are worrying too much!

Kittens nurse all the time, and gain tons of weight. A full, round belly is normal and desired. It does not signal constipation.

Kittens do not overeat, and grow quickly, so need lots of nutrition to grow on. The more they gain the better!

Kittens who nurse mom do not generally suffer from constipation, as mom's milk is perfectly balanced.

Moms stimulate and clean their babies whether you see it or not.

You do not need to go back to the vet until the kitten is 8 weeks old. That is when vaccines begin.

The mom can be spayed when the kitten is 8 weeks also.

Try to relax! :)
Thanks for this. You have no idea how much worries this replay lifted from my shoulders.
The reason I started overreacting today was because the kitten felt somewhat sluggish. Usually whenever it smells the mother it would respond with almost a scream, but today it's response was pretty much just moving towards her right away and not "screaming" like it usually did.
It's actually eating as I write this post :)
Will still update later tonight it's weight after I weigh it in case some people are interested and in the future stumble upon this post.

A bit busy at the moment, but I'll pop a picture later of the kitten ;)

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The second image is from yesterday. The others I took just now.
Btw what are your thoughts should I constantly change the towel or keep it for few days.
I'm asking cause on the second picture you can see that there's a lot of fur from the mother. That's how the towel looks after 1 day, day and a half. On 1 side I know that cleaner = better, but on another side the "dirty" towel have the mother's scent and since it's a single kitten I feel like it helps it when it tries to fall asleep when the mother isn't there.

Btw my female cat is completely black and my male is completely white and from what I'm seeing so far the kitten will have black ears and possibly partially black paws, though not sure about that. Also around the mouth it looks like it's going to be black, but I'm not sure, cause they change with each day :)

P.S. Hm I failed with the images for some reason. Will try to edit them.
P.S.S. So I couldn't figure out why the images don't appear when I use "image" to insert them, so I just went ahead and posted a direct link to imgur. Hopefully it's not a problem.
P.S.S.S Facepalm the direct linking actually displayed them.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a cute baby! The coloring will be interesting as it develops.

Change the bedding about every 3 days, unless it needs it sooner.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is a point, Im not sure you know it. Medically it doesn matter any.

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cute baby! The coloring will be interesting as it develops.

Change the bedding about every 3 days, unless it needs it sooner.
Yeah I think as stefanz said that it's a point. Still will know for sure after I guess another 1-2 weeks because as I said it feels like it changes with each day. At first the legs/paws weren't black or at least they didn't seem black, but now it's becoming more obvious. Also the color of the kitten is also a bit of a mystery. On the pictures it can't be seen well enough, but it isn't exactly white. One of the other kittens that sadly didn't make it was white and when I looked at them standing next to each other there was an obvious difference in the color. It looks more like grey, but it isn't quite grey either.

The kitten is a point, Im not sure you know it. Medically it doesn matter any.
Yeah I thought that as well. Really wondering whether he will inherit the blue eyes of the father. Would be really nice :D

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes points areusually. Blue-eyed so he will be that.

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your male cat intact? Are you keeping him separate from mom?
What do you mean by intact? Neutered? Generally no I'm not keeping him away from the mother, but I don't allow him to bother her in any way. Generally I let him stay near the kitten when I'm around, so that he can get used to it. Btw he isn't hostile towards it in anyway. Rather he is really interested and often lays nearby.
I can't keep him away from the room, because when I close the door he will just keep scratching till I open it. He has never been hit, so he isn't really afraid of being annoying :p

Yes points areusually. Blue-eyed so he will be that.
Yeah thought so as well, but when I googled to see some persian points I saw 2-3 who weren't or maybe they were, but it wasn't that obvious blue.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by intact? Neutered? Generally no I'm not keeping him away from the mother, but I don't allow him to bother her in any way. Generally I let him stay near the kitten when I'm around, so that he can get used to it. Btw he isn't hostile towards it in anyway. Rather he is really interested and often lays nearby.
I can't keep him away from the room, because when I close the door he will just keep scratching till I open it. He has never been hit, so he isn't really afraid of being annoying :p

Yeah thought so as well, but when I googled to see some persian points I saw 2-3 who weren't or maybe they were, but it wasn't that obvious blue.
Yes, is he neutered?

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, is he neutered?
He is not. Will probably neuter him once the kitten start eating normal food. Don't want to stress the male cat in anyway that might lead to him stressing out the mom and which could result in the mom being unable to properly care for the kitten.
I know it sounds a bit exaggerated, but as I mentioned as a kitten the mother suffered quite a bit and it left her a mental scar. Even if you snap a twig in the next room she will get scared. The only thing she isn't scared of is me. I can be as loud as I want, but anyone else as soon as they scrunch a plastic bag and you can see her already preparing to go and hide :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is that your female can already get pregnant again, even without going into heat. She needs to be kept completely away from the father cat until she is spayed.

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The problem is that your female can already get pregnant again, even without going into heat. She needs to be kept completely away from the father cat until she is spayed.
I see. I guess I'll start keeping him closed when I'm not around.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see. I guess I'll start keeping him closed when I'm not around.
Yes, that's important. It really only takes a second. I would get him in for his neuter now. He will still need to be separated from your female for a month after his surgery.

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that's important. It really only takes a second. I would get him in for his neuter now. He will still need to be separated from your female for a month after his surgery.
I guess I'll take care of that this week. Btw is it bad for a cat's health to get pregnant again so soon?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'll take care of that this week. Btw is it bad for a cat's health to get pregnant again so soon?
Yes. Pregnancy, delivery, and nursing are very hard on mom, and draining.

In addition, it does not sound like this was a healthy litter, and it doesn't sound like motherhood has been easy on your cat. She doesn't need to have another litter.

CCVNP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. Pregnancy, delivery, and nursing are very hard on mom, and draining.

In addition, it does not sound like this was a healthy litter, and it doesn't sound like motherhood has been easy on your cat. She doesn't need to have another litter.
Yeah I agree. Just asked, so that I'm more informed.

Btw just weighed the kitten and it's 181grams, so it has gained 11 grams. Less than the previous day, but still seems like a decent amount.