Worried... Update

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took Levi to vet after he threw up, got lethargic and pooped mucus.

They took x rays and blood work. He has gas pockets in intestinal track but. Ould not see anything blockage. So vet thinks might be bacterial infection. Because not drinking she put liquids in him. Then gave anti throw up medicine. Then tonight I give poo poo medicine to help him form them.

I’m still worried. Vet said if he doesn’t eat anything by tonight he is in bad shape and needs to come back for more testing.
I paid 649 today but I am going back to school and don’t have a job. I pray he eats something tonight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has it been since he has eaten? I am guessing the vet put him on antibiotics for the bacterial infection? And, I am guessing that the 'poo poo' medicine is a laxative? The antibiotics will not work immediately, and if he isn't eating, I am not sure what the laxative is going to do. But, in order to get him to eat try one or more of the following:
- canned tuna in water (the water can also be used for moisture in lieu of straight water if he is still not drinking)
- boiled chicken
- low sodium deli turkey
- Gerber Baby food meats (no additives)
- canned kitten food
- kitten food recipes from kitten-rescue.com
- cat gravy pouches that you can add to any of the above.

Keep us posted and let us know if any of the above work!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since he has eaten? I am guessing the vet put him on antibiotics for the bacterial infection? And, I am guessing that the 'poo poo' medicine is a laxative? The antibiotics will not work immediately, and if he isn't eating, I am not sure what the laxative is going to do. But, in order to get him to eat try one or more of the following:
- canned tuna in water (the water can also be used for moisture in lieu of straight water if he is still not drinking)
- boiled chicken
- low sodium deli turkey
- Gerber Baby food meats (no additives)
- canned kitten food
- kitten food recipes from kitten-rescue.com
- cat gravy pouches that you can add to any of the above.

Keep us posted and let us know if any of the above work!!
Sorry the poo poo medicine is not laxative it is to make poo form because now it is very liquid.
He hasn’t eaten for 23 hours. So vet said at 48 dangerous.

Definitely trying wet food with lots of gravy for liquids. He hasn’t moved all day.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might try some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement). Lots of calories, fat and protein. Plus it 's liquid, after you mix it.Which he also needs. Please keep us posted about Levi's progress.
Yes I will try. So far he has refused everything. Ill keep trying.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bacterial infections aren't without pain (abdominal), they can double you over so I'm not surprised that he's not wanting to move much yet. The antibiotics aren't immediate but they usually do work fast, so hopefully later on he'll perk up a bit.
You can try adding warm water or warming the food very slightly to bring out the aroma, plus, room temp and warmer foods are easier on a stomach that's not feeling it's best.
Do you have anything like nutri-cal or nutri-stat on hand? It's a high calorie gel, the ingredients really suck but it's helped many a cat and kitten in our care when they're off food.
Some cats really like forti-flora (probiotic powder), which would be a great thing because not only would it entice him to eat but the probiotics would be excellent for his stomach. Your vet might have some of these packets on hand, I don't think they're very expensive.
Lastly, most vets sell Hill's Science Diet prescription diets, while I'm not a huge fan of them long term (unless necessary) the canned A/D is very high calorie, very tempting and palatable. While it's not a broth base, it's very mushy pate that most cats like. I think it was formulated for post surgery for cats that aren't eating well so if you have to go back, you might ask your vet about this option too.
We're pulling for you and Levi :wave3:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and the other 'strange' trick is to use a paper plate to feed him from. I have absolutely NO idea why it works, but have heard a lot of success with doing so. If it works, who cares why, right?
Sometimes right on the ground works, too. Queen Bee has decided she will only eat the last two bites if I dump it on the floor for her :doh:
Cats, 782.
Me, -6,954,511

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bacterial infections aren't without pain (abdominal), they can double you over so I'm not surprised that he's not wanting to move much yet. The antibiotics aren't immediate but they usually do work fast, so hopefully later on he'll perk up a bit.
You can try adding warm water or warming the food very slightly to bring out the aroma, plus, room temp and warmer foods are easier on a stomach that's not feeling it's best.
Do you have anything like nutri-cal or nutri-stat on hand? It's a high calorie gel, the ingredients really suck but it's helped many a cat and kitten in our care when they're off food.
Some cats really like forti-flora (probiotic powder), which would be a great thing because not only would it entice him to eat but the probiotics would be excellent for his stomach. Your vet might have some of these packets on hand, I don't think they're very expensive.
Lastly, most vets sell Hill's Science Diet prescription diets, while I'm not a huge fan of them long term (unless necessary) the canned A/D is very high calorie, very tempting and palatable. While it's not a broth base, it's very mushy pate that most cats like. I think it was formulated for post surgery for cats that aren't eating well so if you have to go back, you might ask your vet about this option too.
We're pulling for you and Levi :wave3:
Ok I will look into these. I hope he can perk up and try a bite of food. I literally have buffet made up of wet foods if he so chooses.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the more mushy the less effort to eat the better.

Yes, he's refusing because he's tired. think back to the last time you were really sick - tired. If you take just a little of the gravy or the egg yoke or baby food on the tip of your finger and push it into the front of his mouth - he'll spit it out. Take another bit and put it on the middle of his tongue. Now hold his mouth closed. Do not tilt his head, keep it level or chin pointed toward the floor (the position he uses when he eats). At this point you're just asking him to taste the food. Third finger bite a bit may go down his throat. This is to re-awaken his desire to eat. That's why the more liquid the better, but not so liquid it pours out of his mouth.

You may want to syringe feed the KMR. Be sure it's body temperature when you do and only put it in his mouth in swallow size bits.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a plate and keep scraping it together until they finish. Once my cats tried plates, they wouldn't go back to bowls.
Her dish is a very shallow stainless steel bowl type but I'll be trying this :)
Then again, I think she likes knowing she can make me cater to her. Maybe if I get an old plate and tell her it cost one million dollars........ :think:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used flat plastic plates all the time and one day i thought they should get a metal bowl. They didnt like the metal bowl for some reason so i tried ceramic bowl, they didnt like that too. The plastic plates had the based with grooves in it and i think it helped them lick off the food more better.

Cats always knows best for some reason lol