Worried sick, opinions advice welcome

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pansy threw up watery pink (blood) liquid. That was last sunday. Has diarea and stopped eating much. a few bites and a lot of water. we went to the vet thursday where he had bloodwork, subcutaneous fluid, shot of b-12, shot of penicillan. He perked up a little, but not much, still had diarea, no more vomting. Started him on Mitro something-flagele, for gastro intestinal bacteria. Today is saturday, he has had 3 doses and still no improvement. ate a few bites of food yesterday, nothing today, offered him food. he drank a little water, I gave him his pill and squirted some tuna water into him.

I am so worried, he has always been healthy, has frequently coughed up hairballs, but nothing that seemed abnormal.

today I guess we will go get more fluids and an xray. I took over poop yesterday awaiting lab results. any ideas?  should I start to force food into him?  he is 11 years old, been with me since he was 8 weeks old. my heart is breaking.

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats can go an amazing amount of time without food but getting some into him will help a lot.  You can also get baby food, just the meat and broth variety, though.  Lightly sautee chicken tenders and gently mix with white rice in a food processor.  This will be gentle on kitty's tummy.  Some people have had success with pure pumpkin in their diet and I have had success with Homeopet for Digestive upsets (available from Amazon).  The metronidazole will help I'm sure.  Sometimes it takes several days but I love it.  Hopefully this will just run it's course and not be serious, but thank you for taking him to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the lab report and it is neg. for all parasites except there is small toxaplasma like coxcidia.   That I should wear gloves and mask while handeling his feces 

The doctor has confused me, says most cats have it and usually it resolves itself, and continue with the   metronidazole.  if that is an antibiotic, it wont help with parasites will it?  It has not made a difference yet.  I dont know what to do.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is the antibiotic metronidazole effective for that. what kills the spores?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Metrodinazole (Flagyl) is an antibiotic and antiprotozoal med. Coccidiosis is caused by coccidian protozoa, so it's the proper medication, but one that can take some time to have an effect. One of the possible side effects is loss of appetite, so coaxing Pansy to eat with baby food or chicken like catmom marcia catmom marcia suggested is a good idea.

It's something that can resolve itself in healthy young adults, but kittens' and seniors' immune systems may not be able to deal with it without help, and since it can cause gastrointestinal damage, treatment is recommended.

Wearing gloves while scooping or washing litter boxes is S.O.P. if your cat has coccidia or another protozoal infection like giardia, but I can't say I've heard one should wear a mask. You might want to look into disposable litter boxes till it's run its course. Otherwise you'll need to both wash and disinfect the boxes to prevent reinfection from (traces of) feces.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what we are doing is contnue with the met.... and ad albine. I did put food in his mouth and he swallowed it. not much of it, will do some more later. got the hydration kit, see how he is doing, may or may not use it, he hates me to come near him now. I am always shoving something down his throat. I hope this will take care of the problem, I do not see any improvement in his demeanor.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pansey has not improved, I am so worried he is going to die. I am giving him fluids, but he will not eat, I dont know what to do. will go back to vet today I will try to get some food in him, he threw up again, I am worried he has a blockage or something. maybe an xray today.