Worried sick about my 3 year old cat

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old cat has been ill for the last 5 or so days and it's got me worried profusely. His appetite is minimal, as his energy. He mostly just lays around in the same spot all day and barely does anything, and occasionally acts skittish and nervous from time to time. He has had a few bursts where he feels better again for several hours, then gets back to feeling bad again. His improved conditions seemed to follow him eating grass, which makes me think it might be a stomach issue. When he was outside yesterday, he ate it I noticed, and last week before this began and his condition didn't seem bad, I caught him eating it a few times, but thought of nothing it then as he hadn't gotten sick yet. I know cats seek it out when having stomach problems. At the same time, I'm worried sick said stomach issue might be an obstruction or a tumor. I don't know what to think and just feel horribly distressed. He has an appointment tomorrow at noon. I have only had this cat 3 years, but it feels much longer than that. He is an orange tabby with a quirky personality. I found him as a stray kitten and bonded with him closely ever since. I cry at the thought of losing him. I already lost another cat 3 years ago to FIP, and that's actually still fresh on my mind. The prospect of losing another so young, and so soon after is depressing. Has anyone else's cat here experienced similar symptoms to mine and been okay in the end? I'm sorry if this comes off as a rant. I am just sad, stressed, and worried right now.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am assuming that you plan on taking him to the vet soon. The sooner the better just to be safe.

One of my cats has chronic pancreatitis. She vomits, gets lethargic, and then stops eating and drinking. Before it hits her, she starts hiding a lot and being mean to the other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am assuming that you plan on taking him to the vet soon. The sooner the better just to be safe.

One of my cats has chronic pancreatitis. She vomits, gets lethargic, and then stops eating and drinking. Before it hits her, she starts hiding a lot and being mean to the other cats.
I am taking him to the vet tomorrow at noon. He went from feeling fine to this fairly fast. This happened to him back in March too, but it only lasted a few days. This time it's been longer.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you figure out what is wrong. Poor baby! If he did it in March, it is likely not environmental, as you already know.

Tara, the cat I mentioned, became ill suddenly and violently the first time. She now takes medication for it and does pretty well most of the time.

Let us know how the appointment goes. I will keep my fingers crossed that it is something easily managed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you figure out what is wrong. Poor baby! If he did it in March, it is likely not environmental, as you already know.

Tara, the cat I mentioned, became ill suddenly and violently the first time. She now takes medication for it and does pretty well most of the time.

Let us know how the appointment goes. I will keep my fingers crossed that it is something easily managed.
Both times this has happened he has had little to no appetite and energy. This time though I noticed he is liking grass, which I believe is used to help cats when they have stomach issues. Last night he was feeling well, but he's back down to feeling miserable again.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both times this has happened he has had little to no appetite and energy. This time though I noticed he is liking grass, which I believe is used to help cats when they have stomach issues. Last night he was feeling well, but he's back down to feeling miserable again.
That is one of the theories they have about as to why cats eat grass. I tend to agree, although my cat Simon just loves to eat grass. He has his own cat grass patch. Just keep him comfy until you take him to the vet. Is he drinking? If not, he may be dehydrated. If that is the case, he would be extra miserable and not want to eat. Lightly pinch and lift the skin between his shoulder blades. If it goes back to normal slowly, he needs fluid. If he will not drink, you will need to syringe feed it to him.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep him inside only for now, it will help you see his poop, if poop is loose or not deep brown, it's likely to be stomach issue. With outdoor cat it's hard to know what could be wrong since the environment is not controlled - he could have eaten an object from the ground, or some toxic substance, or have worms.

For now try to keep him indoors, hydrated, ask the vet if you can give something to help him before tomorrow, like here we have medication called Smekta that generally is given to animals with stomach issues without prescription, however it hardens the poop so it would be good to see if he has loose stools or not before.

I hope everything works out. For your own piece of mind, I would advise to keep the cat indoors only after this and only take outside when you're with him, with a harness / leash, to supervise what he is doing and keep away from danger.