Worried about weight of pregnant cat

Petu_900

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here and I've been learning from what I'm reading. Question: how much weight did your cat get for a litter of how many kittens?
Rescued my cat had her for 3 weeks by now. By the 10th day took her to the vet, she was really affectionate and gaining weight, I figured she was pregnant, he confirmed it and said that by the ultrasound there where 3 kittens. She was 8 1/2 pounds when I got her, now 11 pounds, feeding her kitten dry and wet food.
Could anyone please give me some of their experiences of how much weight their cat gained? Since I just got her there's no way for me to know how far along she is 🙏
(The pic is from the day I took her to the vet)

Attachments

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help much about the weight. I rescued a large orange queen many years past. She was pregnant. I think her previous owner abandoned her. Ellie delivered 4 kittens, all healthy, about two weeks after I rescued her from a neighbor's back yard. But she was 7 or 8 lbs when I rescued her, and I think she may have hit 10 by the time her kittens were born.

But keep feeding her the kitten food until she weens her kittens. She will need the extra fat, protein and minerals to produce sufficient milk for her kittens. They are usually weened by the seventh week or so. But don't rehome the kittens until they reach 12 weeks. It takes that long for mom cat to teach them how to be a cat. A kitten separated from mom before then has a probability of developing behavior problems as an adult.

Thank you for rescuing her! Keep us updated! I'm sure more knowledgable TCS members wuill provide more information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Petu_900

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! What's been happening with you :)
I was about to post again, should I continue here or make a new post? I wasn't home when my cat geve birth, she was really quick, got in and 4 cute clean kittens nursing from here, but saw the sack was just left there, removed it and found my cat had been laying over one of the kittens 😱 he was even still wet and sticky, I've been trying to clean him and nurse him but he just cries and the mom now wants him back, but it's been hours and he still hasn't been able to have any milk, I even tried unlatching one of the healthy kittens to give him that active nipple but he doesn't drinks 😭

Petu_900

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It must have been like 1 hour and a half of labor, so quick, but the cat is very young, her first litter

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW
no, you're fine here. Can you rub his gums with some slightly diluted (with warm water) honey? Can you try giving him some formula? Keep him on his tummy and head up, just like he's nursing...let me get some more info for you

Petu_900

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW
no, you're fine here. Can you rub his gums with some slightly diluted (with warm water) honey? Can you try giving him some formula? Keep him on his tummy and head up, just like he's nursing...let me get some more info for you
I'll try with the honey rushed my husband for baby kitten formula as soon as we noticed but he's not drinking it, he just keeps trying to get under the mom and the kittens

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rub some honey on the kitten's gums. That will supposedly get some sugar directly absorbed into its bloodstream. Good luck!

Petu_900

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANK YOU SO MUCH ♥ For all the support, baby is latching now and moving strongly, three hours of fighting with that baby, he seems to be okay. This are the stats from my litter:
Mom before showing pregnancy 8 pounds, late term 12 pounds. Babies 4 hours into this world:
Gray: 4.7 oz
Tabby with white socks: 4.6 oz
Tabby: 4.7 oz
Black:.4.6 oz
Baby fighter: 3.4 oz

Petu_900

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*SAD NOTE* woke up at 2am one of the babies kept crying, tried several times to latch him to a nipple but wouldn't, he just cries, the mom looked worried but still treated him as the rest, no special care, I lifted him up, rubbed him with a cloth closer to the heater, he was starting to get cold, moment later noticed he had pooped a little bit, tried again to him to the mom but no reaction from her, so I helped him finish pooping and it all went down, he wouldn't feed from the mother, tried the formula, honey in the gums, it all went downhill from there, he just kept crying and didn't accept anything... I would say I called the time of dead (after attempting CPR) around 6:45, had to call out sick from work, mamma was clearly in distress as well, cried for him. He was the Tabby with white socks.

Petu_900

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Need advice, how much time of the day would the mom spend with her babies?? My cat only seems to want to lay with them when I'm there, sitting next to the box, when I walk out to the couch or do something else she comes after me, now she's just laying on the floor, even if the kittens are calling her

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm. Some cats spend a lot of time. I think, whenever the kittens are crying for her, see if you can get her back with them by whatever means, and stay with her/them if you have to so she doesn't hop back out, a few times. Hopefully she starts to catch on after a few nursing sessions and starts to realize them crying means they need her attention :).