Worried About Third Eyelid Showing

Seanreeve1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Sorry I’m new to the site and I’m in a bit of a panic so I’m not sure if this is even the right place to post this but my kitten pepper ( only a year and a half old) has come in from being outside with her third eyelids showing like in the picture I have uploaded. Reading the comments on this thread I can see it may be a multitude of things, even tiredness? But I just wanted some more eyes on the picture to get some more opinions, she’s not acting lethargic in fact she’s being very lively... I fear she may have ran into something or had a knock on the head D:

Attachments

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Sorry I’m new to the site and I’m in a bit of a panic so I’m not sure if this is even the right place to post this but my kitten pepper ( only a year and a half old) has come in from being outside with her third eyelids showing like in the picture I have uploaded. Reading the comments on this thread I can see it may be a multitude of things, even tiredness? But I just wanted some more eyes on the picture to get some more opinions, she’s not acting lethargic in fact she’s being very lively... I fear she may have ran into something or had a knock on the head D:
Hmm, wow I have never seen the third eyelid showing like this... when my sick cat had theirs showing it was just a little bit and would go away when she was fully aware/awake.

The wording of the post makes me not fully understand. Were they a stray/feral? Or an indoor/outdoor cat? Did they ever not have them showing or did they always have it?

I would highly recommend a trip to the vet to check it out. Kind of looks like a birth defect to be honest.

Also it’s hard to say for sure but it looks like the pupils are different sizes? Do you have more pics?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seanreeve1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I want very clear I was typing in a bit of a panic ! she’s definitely an outdoor cat and not a stray, we’ve had her since she was a kitten. Her eyes have never been like that before m, never even slightly that I’ve ever noticed. They were absolutely fine this morning and it’s when she’s come in today after being out for a bit that they’ve appeared like that, very strange. She’s eating and acting perfectly normally too - she was desperate to go out again!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry I want very clear I was typing in a bit of a panic ! she’s definitely an outdoor cat and not a stray, we’ve had her since she was a kitten. Her eyes have never been like that before m, never even slightly that I’ve ever noticed. They were absolutely fine this morning and it’s when she’s come in today after being out for a bit that they’ve appeared like that, very strange. She’s eating and acting perfectly normally too - she was desperate to go out again!
That’s perfectly understandable.

Please don’t delay and go to a vet. I would hate to hear she has permanent damage because of a delay.

If finances are an issue we can help try and find a low cost clinic.

Also a cat-only clinic is preferred and if you give your city I can help you find one.

Seanreeve1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I’ve called the emergency vet and they said to wait until th morning and if nothing has changed to take her in as it could be tiredness.. will have to see tomorrow, thank you for your swift responses it’s much appreciated !

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I’ve called the emergency vet and they said to wait until th morning and if nothing has changed to take her in as it could be tiredness.. will have to see tomorrow, thank you for your swift responses it’s much appreciated !
Keep us updated please :).

She will be in my thoughts and I wish the best.

Also it should be obvious but don’t let her out at least until tomorrow when you check her eyes as she could get worse and not have someone looking after her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope everything is going better, third eyelids definitely point to the cat not feeling good. I know it's a pain, but a vet trip would be worth it. Lethargy, drainage from the nose and eyes would indicate feline herpes or the common 'kitty cold' my cats always have their third eyelid showing when they have that. L-Lysine helps with that. I get mine as treats on Amazon. She may have an infection somewhere, or been injured a vet trip would hopefully find what it is. One cat I had bounced back after a steroid shot and a round of antibiotics, which were requested liquid and given in a tiny amount of tuna juice to hide the smell. All the luck!

Seanreeve1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning she her eyes were still the same but the vet thought it’s best to give her one more day to see if anything improved and then take her in tomorrow if not as she’s acting normally and is still very energetic. They said it could just dissapear on it’s own, sometimes it does apparently?

I’ll check back in tomorrow with the status. Thanks all !

Seanreeve1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also there’s no drainage or anything by the eyes that I could see last night or this morning! If nothing has changed then we will take her in tomorrow

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Also there’s no drainage or anything by the eyes that I could see last night or this morning! If nothing has changed then we will take her in tomorrow
Sounds good. Please keep her in one more day as well.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My concern is that if Pepper is an outdoor cat, could she have come in contact with a substance that got into her eyes? If so, I don't know if waiting to take her in is the best course? I know it is just hard to tell what has happened, so taking her in sooner than tomorrow is like a coin toss decision.

Seanreeve1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So pepper has been to the vets and they beleive she may have picked up a virus of some sort , they have wormed her just in case but they have told us to keep an eye on her for a couple of days and take her back if she worsens or if the symptoms don’t subside

CocoMyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat currently has his third eyelid showing and was has a double middle ear infection. I was told it is common with them and they can still see. Also told it may or may not go back to normal. It’s been about 4 weeks and it comes and goes still.