Worried about possibility of tail falling off

ebcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, two days ago I was an idiot and tried to stop my 1-year-old cat from going into a room by closing the door. I learned my lesson that I did an idiotic horrible thing, because the end 1/3 of her tail got caught. The door is a lightweight wooden door didn't fully close and latch shut on the tail, and my cat doesn't show any signs of distress or obvious drooping. However, I have read accounts of people whose cat's tail fell off for seemingly no reason, or sometimes years after an accident like getting caught in a door. I am really worried that this could happen to her beautiful tail.

Could diabetes be a reason for tails falling off for no reason, due to circulation problems in extremities? I feed her a commercial raw diet that is 95% meat and bone with some blueberries of questionable value mixed in. I have been petting her tail and telling her she has the prettiest tail in the world and I'm so sorry.

Her beautiful fluffy tail is actually quite thin in the actual flesh part, less than a cm. When I adopted her, the rescue organization described it as a "bottlebrush tail," a perfect description. And the very tip has always been crooked, which I'm told is common and normal especially in oriental breeds. Because the tail is so thin, I am extra concerned that her circulation got damaged and the tail will just fall off one day, even a year from now. I've been feeling along her tail and trying to tell if the end has nerve sensation or the ability to move, and can't really tell. Sometimes I am convinced it feels like there is definitely a little kink where the door got it. The fact that she didn't even yelp or seem troubled by the incident makes me wonder if the tail is not getting much circulation in the first place. I am so worried. Can a vet do tests for circulation at the end of her tail? I'm not sure how I could live with knowing I made her beautiful fluffy tail fall off.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not be so worried. Keep an eye on her tail and any sign of discoloration or pain, bring her to see a veterinarian. If damage was so bad that her tail did need to be repaired or removed, she'll be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ebcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: the part of the tail that got hurt started to feel stiff yesterday. I took her to the vet but they said there wasn't anything to do but wait. I'm wondering if an anti-inflammatory medication would be a good idea. I am really worried that with the stiffness and injury she could lose blood circulation to the end. She still has feeling in it and hasn't changed her behavior, she still has feeling in the end and is holding it normally but I can see when she swishes it the end doesn't move smoothly. They said if it gets dark and she starts to bite it then that would be the signs to look for, for gangrene. But her skin is already dark so I don't think I could tell much just by looking until it got quite bad. The injury happened about 3 days ago. I'm feeling so much regret about not being more careful.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you get your finger caught in a door, it feels stiff too.  It is not too surprising that her tail is stiff and maybe has swollen a bit.   Most cat tails are very thin underneath the fur.   Even short-haired cats look ridiculously thin if  they are soaking wet.

Most human anti-inflammatory medicines are toxic  to cats.  Their liver enzymes are different and their systems cannot metabolize these medicines the same way people or dogs do.  

Never give a cat any human medicines without specific instructions from your vet.

You need to just wait and see.  I know that isn't easy, but there is not anything you can do right now.  

She probably doesn't want you to touch her tail right now, so you have to wait.

She will behave very differently if  her tail gets infected or if it is very sore.  You will notice that change in behavior.

You can't undo something that already happened.  

You can learn from a mistake and choose to change the way you react  next time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ebcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: the vet said her circulation is good at the tip and she is expected to be fine.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she probably has some soft tissue injury which is calling swelling a fitness. I would not worry too much about it, unless there were some discoloration going on. If she lost circulation it would be turning black. If you want to give her some kind of anti-inflammatory, you can ask your veterinarian about onsior. It is the only safest anti-inflammatory for cats.