Worried About My Little Girl

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Persephone is 1 year and 5 months. She is active and headstrong. She rules the roost. Last evening just after dinner she refused to come outside with me, my other cat and my dog. This has always been her favorite part the day. She was moving very slow and favoring left back leg. I was able to pinpoint exact spot where she is experiencing pain just below hip joint on back of thigh. There is no swelling, heat, bite mark or wound. She laid in same spot until this afternoon. Then moved to another spot for a very short time and then got on the bed. My hopes soared because she hadn't eaten all day but had taken a bite of food and sip of water on way to the bed. Unfortunately, now she is still on the bed and has not moved. She's refusing food and water. I'm hoping it's just a sprain but I worry it's more. We have just moved to this area so I hadn't found a vet yet. Went on line and found one about 20 minutes away. I'm calling in the morning. I'm so worried about her!
PXL_20220731_005208029~2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm thinking and hoping it's a sprain. I just can't figure out when or how she did it. She didn't cry out and any signs of distress from my cats and my dog runs over to make sure they're ok. That did not happy. Yes, she's always very active and rambunctious. She's my ornery kitty.

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just returned from vet about an hour ago.

The Dr is sure it is not a sprain. She discovered Persephone is also having back pain. She said it is not uncommon to have this happen in our area but it's inconclusive. What she believes is that Persephone was bitten by something so small the bite mark is difficult to find. She did mention blood work and x-rays but said in addition to the cost it takes too long to get results back. In cases like this she treats with Clindamycin. She said that usually does the trick. If it doesn't we will then go to x-ray and testing but she believes this will work with Persephone. She gave me a list of ER clinics (all in Albuquerque unfortunately 2 hours away) and told me what to look out for over weekend that would require ER. She will call me Monday to check on Persephone and we will discuss anything further that needs to be done. She said if antibiotics work I will begin noticing improvement after 24 hours.

Right now Persephone already seems a bit better. More alert and as soon as we got back home she drank a normal amount of water. She's lying on the floor near the door with her head up! I'm sure she'll sleep some more.

Just moving to this area I didn't have a vet yet. I really like this vet. She seems very maternal and has a loving and sweet energy. I feel so confident about this clinic I'm getting my other cat Rhiannon and my Great Pyrenees established there.

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also forgot to mention that before vet this morning Persephone felt very warm when I touched her. Vet discovered she had a fever of 105F. I just touched her now and she appears much cooler.

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Persephone had her fourth dose of antibiotics tonight. She is still sleeping way more than usual but her appetite seems to be increasing. She has been in her bed which is on top of my bed since she became ill. She hadn't moved from there the whole time but tonight I gave her canned food in her bed and she ate half of it then fell back asleep. Later, while I was outside, I heard her jump off the bed (she hasn't jumped and barely has moved in days). I then heard her eating dry food from the bowl on the floor. When I came back inside she was back in her bed asleep and the rest of the canned food was gone, some dry food was gone and she drank water. She is FINALLY making progress. Hopefully she will be back up to her normal weight very soon.

Robert Lee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Persephone had her fourth dose of antibiotics tonight. She is still sleeping way more than usual but her appetite seems to be increasing. She has been in her bed which is on top of my bed since she became ill. She hadn't moved from there the whole time but tonight I gave her canned food in her bed and she ate half of it then fell back asleep. Later, while I was outside, I heard her jump off the bed (she hasn't jumped and barely has moved in days). I then heard her eating dry food from the bowl on the floor. When I came back inside she was back in her bed asleep and the rest of the canned food was gone, some dry food was gone and she drank water. She is FINALLY making progress. Hopefully she will be back up to her normal weight very soon.
🙏

Gypsy Witch & Persephone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although Persephone is still not 100%, she is greatly improving. She's still moving slowly and is listless but she's getting back into her normal routine. She is trying to do the things she always enjoyed. Most importantly, she's eating and drinking again. I'll feel better when she's back up to a normal weight.