Worried About My Graham

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My usually hyper-active Graham suddenly just became inactive since last night. The vet told my husband this morning that this is normal for kittens especially those taking or have not been dewormed. She is eating like usual but has not played since last night and just wants to lie down and sleep. And I am so very worried.

Her ears and paws are warm. She seems breathing normal. And I am just wondering why all of a sudden she became like this, as if a battery is removed from her.

Let me add that when my husband brought her to the vet this morning (as it is also her appointment day), she was given vaccines Tricat.

She is around 11 weeks of age. She is not vomiting or anything, just inactive. Despite assurance by the vet I am still so worried as I am not used taking care of small cats. Any ideas why? I am dying here...

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when Charlie got his first vaccinations. As soon as I got him home, he curled up on my bed and stayed there for quite a while. He was lethargic the next day as well. I'm not quite sure of the reason, but the vet did tell me to expect that with the vaccinations, so I guess it's okay?

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a reaction to the vaccines. Did the vet give the cat the live rabies vaccine? My Bounder had a horrible reaction to that vaccine, spiked a really high temp. Horrible vaccine - recombinant live rabies vac. My current vet doesn't even offer that vaccine because of the adverse reactions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes some kittens react more on vaccines than most.
Some become quite ill.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wait, she became inactive the night before the vaccination, right? Which is why the vet reassured your husband that it was normal?

How are things now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Wait, she became inactive the night before the vaccination, right? Which is why the vet reassured your husband that it was normal?

How are things now?
Yes, she was not fine even before she was sent to the vet for her appointment. She was eating but she was not playing and just wanted to sleep. Despite all that info, the vet vaccinated her and gave her deworming tab. She is still not ok until now, so my husband will bring her back to the vet again this noon (difficult for me to skip work due to a grumpy boss :( )

I am worried and not slept well last night. :(
The good thing is, I noticed her already grooming herself this morning.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
How are things going now?
She is still the same, inactive and definitely not the usual Graham. Although she eats but she is not eating much. But she already groomed herself this morning which is a bit of a positive note for me. I also noticed that she seems limpy when she walks, hardly noticeable but as her Mama I would know something is off with the way she walks. Since I cannot leave work, my husband will bring her back to the vet today. I am worried sick. :(

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
S
Yes some kittens react more on vaccines than most.
Some become quite ill.
She was not well even before the vaccines and deworming. The vet still did the vaccinations and deworming even when my husband told him that Graham was seemingly ill. I am not a vet and I have zero knowledge of this aspect but I think the vaccinations should have been postponed? Instead, he should have checked first for any fleas and ticks (although I am quite sure there is none), took some lab tests for urine etc. Or am I just being too worried and paranoid?

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she was not fine even before she was sent to the vet for her appointment. She was eating but she was not playing and just wanted to sleep. Despite all that info, the vet vaccinated her and gave her deworming tab. She is still not ok until now, so my husband will bring her back to the vet again this noon (difficult for me to skip work due to a grumpy boss :( )

I am worried and not slept well last night. :(
The good thing is, I noticed her already grooming herself this morning.
I'd be looking for a new vet. And I'd chew this vet out for vaccinating an unwell cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S

She was not well even before the vaccines and deworming. The vet still did the vaccinations and deworming even when my husband told him that Graham was seemingly ill. I am not a vet and I have zero knowledge of this aspect but I think the vaccinations should have been postponed? Instead, he should have checked first for any fleas and ticks (although I am quite sure there is none), took some lab tests for urine etc. Or am I just being too worried and paranoid?
If so, he should postpone the vaccines, as its no great hurry. And perhaps done just the deworming, as having worms may in itself cause problems...

OR done just the vaccines, and told you which dewormers to use on your own.

Doing both at the same time on an already unwell cat isnt wise nor sound. If I werent an advisor but just a plain forumist, I would call it for malpractice...

Try to find another vet for next time.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your help and responses. She is a bit better. But still just wants to lie down. Although she plays also just a bit while lying down. I will keep an eye on her much more tightly now and see until tomorrow morning.

Panic mode on now! :(

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Graham: She was taken in to the vet again today where it was confirmed she no longer has fever (thank God!). She is also negative of calici virus. I also asked them to check for earmites using this otoscope (not sure if that's the correct name for it) just in case but also negative. No colds. No wheezing.

The vets there told me that this is the nature of scottish fold cats. They are not active cats and easily gets bored, so I should not panic if Graham prefers to lie down even in her kitten stage.

I shall keep monitoring her. Maybe I am just over protective and over paranoid. But to see a once hyper active kitten suddenly just decided to lay away her days like somebody has switched off its power, then I am still doubtful.

Thanks again, guys. You were great and as usual, always prompt in your replies!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is NOT normal, kittens are hyperactive most of the time. She may have hurt herself a little while playing, or something upset her tummy. Your current vet really doesn't sound like he knows cats all that well. My vet has refused to vaccinate when he even thought they were unwell. I have had several cats get lethargic for a couple of days after vaccinations, so that is not unusual. Just watch for improvements and find another vet to bring her to if she gets worse!

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
That is NOT normal, kittens are hyperactive most of the time. She may have hurt herself a little while playing, or something upset her tummy. Your current vet really doesn't sound like he knows cats all that well. My vet has refused to vaccinate when he even thought they were unwell. I have had several cats get lethargic for a couple of days after vaccinations, so that is not unusual. Just watch for improvements and find another vet to bring her to if she gets worse!
My thoughts exactly. She is a kitten and she should be STILL playing.

Actually I sent her to another vet this morning (I took a half day from the office). I kept repeating the same story all over again and they kinda looked at me like I could not understand a word they say. Even my husband was already irritated by the way I talked to the vets. I kept saying, "But she is still a kitten...no matter what the breed...she should be active or running around a bit, I guess." I was like, "What's going on?" kinda feeling.

This is really frustrating. But anyhow, I will keep an eye on her.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Also, they kept telling me that as long as she is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping - there should not be a problem.

But she is a kitten. :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let them talk you out of being concerned. You know your little one better then anyone. It is true that eating/drinking/ using the litter box are all indicators of good health, but ANY sudden changes, like lying around when usually active indicate something wrong. She may have hurt herself and is limiting play right now. A sick cat will stop eating and hide. Just monitor her for now, every little return to her old self is a good sign, any downturn should be monitored closely.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let them talk you out of being concerned. You know your little one better then anyone. It is true that eating/drinking/ using the litter box are all indicators of good health, but ANY sudden changes, like lying around when usually active indicate something wrong. She may have hurt herself and is limiting play right now. A sick cat will stop eating and hide. Just monitor her for now, every little return to her old self is a good sign, any downturn should be monitored closely.
Thanks a lot. Feels good to know that I am not just being annoying at the vet's clinic this morning.