Worried about my George

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed Friday George was not acting like himself. He was quiet and he's usually happy and purring loudly. I made an appt for him at the vet and sure enough he had a fever. He got an antibiotic shot and the vet said if not improved, bring him back Saturday. He was eating but his behaviour was not right so I took him back. The vet said his fever was lower and if he was eating (which he was) he should be ok and to keep watch on him. I was happy to hear that as the vet office was not open yesterday. But his behaviour is still strange. He is eating. He is spending a lot of time hiding. I also think taking him to the vet two times traumatized him. We had to fight to get him in the crate and of course I couldn't take him in the office. He is staying in the basement mostly. I brought him up yesterday and put him on the cat tree. He stayed there for quite awhile and appeared more relaxed. He also slept for awhile in my closet on our laundry last night. Weird spot for him but I left him alone. I just hope there is nothing else. Do you think it is just that he is not feeling well and in a few more days he will be more like himself? Should I leave him alone or encourage him to come upstairs? We have also noticed he is tremoring at times a bit. I noticed it yesterday and my son woke me up last night to show me. Could it be chills from the fever? It was strange. The vet said if he wasn't better to bring him back today and he would do bloodwork. I'm not sure he's doing worse but definitely not normal yet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and inform them about the tremors, then see what he suggests. He might need an injection of steroids too, Bloodwork would pinpoint what is wrong. I know how troubling it is to keep traumatizing them, you might look into a side opening carrier that the whole side folds down, much easier. it looks like a triangle. If you think he is slightly better, keep monitoring, but the tremors are worrisome. As long as he is eating and drinking OK, that is reassuring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet did say if he wasn't better he would do bloodwork today, I guess I'm just trying to decide if he's better or not. I will call though, they are very good at answering questions.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, it is so worrisome when they aren't acting right. But we have to do everything we can to make them feel better. Tremors many times mean pain, and you don't want that. Don't make any rash decisions at the vets. Many times cats with even serious issues live long, happy lives when they are managed. I'll pray for your sweet boy to have nothing serious and get better......

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it would be a good idea for the vet to do bloodwork...especially if prescribing antibiotics
Also , cats when stressed at the vet may want to hide when they come back home , theyve been shaken up a bit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little update. We ended up not going that day. He looked a little better but not much so he went yesterday. Still had a fever and had lost a bit of weight. The vet did bloodwork and everything was good except his hematocrit was a little low. Hopefully that is from the fever but everything else was fine. No elevated white blood cell count either which is a bit strange. Anyway he gave him a different antibiotic and gave him a shot which I imagine was something like ibuprofen as he said it would help his fever and pain. It worked almost immediately and he was back to somewhat normal. When I came home from work he was sleeping on the couch, came for treats and laid in the family room with us last night. I hope that this is finally on the mend!