Worried about my cat’s eye

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat’s left eye is pink and itrritated, a little glassy.

I noticed this morning that he was keeping one eye closed this morning, then it looked fine throughout the day until about 12 hours after first notice this am.

NOW, it looks pink. He is behaving normally and doesn’t seem to flinch if I try to fog near the eye.

My question is this...I have regularly scheduled appointment in 5 days. Should I bring him sooner??

thank you!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a colored discharge from the affected eye? If he has Feline Herpes he should be seen by your vet. Since you mentioned already having an appointment scheduled in five days you may want to call, describe his symptoms and ask if he should be examined sooner. Here is an Article about eye problems in cats that may have some helpful information for you:
Eye Problems In Cats: What Every Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that your scheduled appointment will be fine, unless the eye gets significantly worse! Should that happen, call the vet and ask to be seen on an emergency basis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. I will call in the morning. As far as I know it’s not heroes, he stays inside 99% of the time and when he’s gone out he doesn’t interact with others, but I am going to call in the morning to see if the vet wants to see him sooner. I’ll also see if it is getting worse, then I will want to bring him in. Thanks again

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His eye seemed worse yesterday afternoon and there was some yellow discharge. I was planning on bringing him in this morning, but it actually looks better. He is opening it more and there is no discharge. The vet said to bring him in as a walk in if it got worse. Because I already have an appointment onSaturday, I am going to wait, this way I don’t have to wait 3-5 hours as a walk-in and still have to bring him again on Saturday. He has a very difficult time with getting into the carrier and it is a traumatic event, so I am going to go in on Saturday. I will let you know.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had the same thing. After trying about 20 home remedies, I finally got an appointment and got some antibiotic eye ointment that did the trick. Get him used to messing with his eye by gently swiping the closed eye with warm cloths doused in warm saline solution (you can make your own) or distilled water. I cut up a dishcloth into little pieces to make it easier and then cleaned them in hot water with a tiny amount of bleach. When you get the ointment/drops, gently pull down on the lower lid to form a little pocket and put the drops in there, or if ointment, a thin ribbon. My cat was used to me working on his eye and accepted it easily after repeated attempts and when he realized it felt good and I was not hurting him.

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip! My mom actually suggested putting Neosporin in his eye, as her dr. Told her she could do that To her own eye. I am a little hesitant. I am keeping my eye on it, and if it gets any worse I will bring him before Saturday. What was it, pink eye?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's usually a form of pink eye, called feline herpes. NOT transferrable to humans. Very common, especially with litters of kittens. It spreads fast and can get very bad. My cat had cancer, so I was hesitant to bring him into the vet causing him so much stress. after months of daily administrations of different home remedies, I finally did and it cleared up quickly. It never got bad, just watery, half-closed, and somewhat swollen. I would not put Neosporin in his eyes. It is to be applied to the skin and may harm his vision. Terramycin is the most common ointment, you can get it on the internet at Petmeds, etc. but you may need a Drs. prescription.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be hesitant about using human medications with a cat, especially in the eye. Dealing with Persians, who have large eyes I have seen ulcers pop up seeming out of nowhere so I am vigilant about the eyes. Ulcers are a fast developing problem. I had a kitten who was fine when I left for work, 2 hours later my son called me and asked me what was wrong with her eye. It was completely swollen shut. Since you called your vet, you should be fine.

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven’t used anything, and he is behaving normally. He is three years old. He doesn’t seem to be in any distress. The vet said it could wait until Saturday.