Worried about my cat whos just got spayed.

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Mochi got spayed yesterday, came home fairly normal, hyper and wanting to jump and run. She eats and drinks and using the litter like normal. We dont really have a room to keep her in without things she can jump on and atm she will rest in her cat backpack she has. She doesn’t mess with her stitches too much but im still worried she might while were asleep. I would put a cone on her but she flails too much and might just make things worse. Ive thought about trying bitter spray around (not on dont worry) her stitches but my mom doesn’t think we need to worry too much about it. She does have a slight lump but her stitches are fine looking i think its just her healing and its just fluid.

So overall she seems fine but it may just be me over worrying as shes my first indoor female cat ive ever had.
Ive tried my best to keep her from jumping and running but keeping her in her cat bag all day would make her too hyper for us to get sleep at night.
Gonna be a rough 2 weeks 😅
Might seem bad of me to say but hopefully once the pain meds wear off she will lay low for the rest of the time till shes more healed up. you would think after a major surgery she would come home ready to nap but shes always been a fairly active cat.

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Mochi got spayed yesterday, came home fairly normal, hyper and wanting to jump and run. She eats and drinks and using the litter like normal. We dont really have a room to keep her in without things she can jump on and atm she will rest in her cat backpack she has. She doesn’t mess with her stitches too much but im still worried she might while were asleep. I would put a cone on her but she flails too much and might just make things worse. Ive thought about trying bitter spray around (not on dont worry) her stitches but my mom doesn’t think we need to worry too much about it. She does have a slight lump but her stitches are fine looking i think its just her healing and its just fluid.

So overall she seems fine but it may just be me over worrying as shes my first indoor female cat ive ever had.
Ive tried my best to keep her from jumping and running but keeping her in her cat bag all day would make her too hyper for us to get sleep at night.
Gonna be a rough 2 weeks 😅
Might seem bad of me to say but hopefully once the pain meds wear off she will lay low for the rest of the time till shes more healed up. you would think after a major surgery she would come home ready to nap but shes always been a fairly active cat.
Hello Mochi and DoodleStrudle DoodleStrudle and welcome to TCS! There is usually a little initial swelling at the surgical site, but as long as it is not hot, red, and/or oozing, it is normal. If it is any of these things, call her vet. I personally would not apply anything to the site. It needs to heal naturally and as it does, she will probably lick the site, because this is normal hygiene for cats, the cleanest of all beings except for marine animals. Most cats are quiet, even groggy from the anaesthesia and pain meds, for the first day or longer. Young cats especially may be active quickly, though. This is also normal and all you need to do is monitor her surgical site for any of the warning signs I've listed. It should not take two weeks for her to be back to normal. A few days is normal. If there's anything you think is questionable, and you can take a pic of it and upload it here, it may help TCS members to see what's going on and advise you; but definitely call the vet if any of those things occur. All the best to Mochi and you -- and thank you for doing the right thing and getting her spayed!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've had cats that act like nothing happened, running, jumping the first day back. A lump is normal, swelling inside. It may even pull a little apart, but as long as it is not actually bleeding, everything will heal. Watery, clear, and pink-tinged oozing may happen, but it shouldn't be a lot, and if it turns thick and white/yellow/green it is infected. Is it stitches, or is it glued? I would just call your vet if you are concerned about something. Everything sounds normal to me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've had cats that act like nothing happened, running, jumping the first day back. A lump is normal, swelling inside. It may even pull a little apart, but as long as it is not actually bleeding, everything will heal. Watery, clear, and pink-tinged oozing may happen, but it shouldn't be a lot, and if it turns thick and white/yellow/green it is infected. Is it stitches, or is it glued? I would just call your vet if you are concerned about something. Everything sounds normal to me!
Yes its stitches and thank you im a little less stressed knowing that she should be fine and ill be sure to keep good eye on her incision like weve been doing.
much love- Doodle and Mochi 💜💜

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Mochi and DoodleStrudle DoodleStrudle and welcome to TCS! There is usually a little initial swelling at the surgical site, but as long as it is not hot, red, and/or oozing, it is normal. If it is any of these things, call her vet. I personally would not apply anything to the site. It needs to heal naturally and as it does, she will probably lick the site, because this is normal hygiene for cats, the cleanest of all beings except for marine animals. Most cats are quiet, even groggy from the anaesthesia and pain meds, for the first day or longer. Young cats especially may be active quickly, though. This is also normal and all you need to do is monitor her surgical site for any of the warning signs I've listed. It should not take two weeks for her to be back to normal. A few days is normal. If there's anything you think is questionable, and you can take a pic of it and upload it here, it may help TCS members to see what's going on and advise you; but definitely call the vet if any of those things occur. All the best to Mochi and you -- and thank you for doing the right thing and getting her spayed!
Thank you so much! I'm glad to know her activity is normal and that I shouldn't worry too much about it but I'll be sure to try and limit it down as much as I can. And as of now her incision has been doing fine and I'll be sure to post pics in case something worrying appears or if the lump worsens!
Much love- Doodle and Mochi 💜💜

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, of course, you're worried! This is your first time going through this! However, everything you are saying is very good news, indeed. You may, tomorrow, see some slight puffiness. You may also see a bit of clear weeping, either pale yellow or pink-tinged, around the wound. That is totally normal. Unless there is real swelling, an angry red discoloration, or oozing of thick green or yellow pus (NOT clear fluid), you're almost certainly just fine! I know they always say, "Keep her quiet," and most of us struggle with that, but remember that feral queens are spayed and returned to their colonies outside the next day if the surgery was routine, and almost all of them recover without problems!

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okie dokie thank you so much! Yes shes seeming a lot better tonight usually she naps on the couch but has been mainly sleeping in just her cat bag but tonight she decided she wanted the corner of the couch so were gonna watch some Netflix and doze off. Im a ton less worried than i was the first day. A big part being anything i find online is a bunch of “keep them from being a cat” which is easier said than done. But for now i can rest a little better being assured she should be fine being herself with a little caution.

Attachments