Worried About My Boy!

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy Theo has been a little weird this morning! He hasn't really wanted to eat more than a few bites (which is concerning because he is already hard to keep weight on). He threw up a little last night (nothing unusual in the puke).

Some variables

+ We just brought home a new kitten, male, parasite free and vaccinated. Theo really likes him but the change in environment might have something to do with it?
+I've been trying to switch him over to raw, last night was the first time he actually ate it. Maybe it upset his stomach?
(It was not left out or gone bad or anything)
+His stool is normal

I'm panicking a little. I recently lost a kitty due to sickness that I didn't realize and I guess I'm a little traumatized. Even thinking about my baby boy being sick makes me wanna cry...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
If this were me, I'd go back to his regular food until the two cats are more integrated and comfortable with each other. I know you said they're getting along, but still, it's a big change.

Try some goat milk or kitten milk replacer to help supplement extra nutrients. If his eating doesn't improve, you might want to check with your vet.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything
Hi!
If this were me, I'd go back to his regular food until the two cats are more integrated and comfortable with each other. I know you said they're getting along, but still, it's a big change.

Try some goat milk or kitten milk replacer to help supplement extra nutrients. If his eating doesn't improve, you might want to check with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Thank you so much! I took your advice and he's really perking back up, he still doesn't want to eat a lot but he's having some!

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm SO glad to hear this!! thank you for the update :vibes::heartshape:
Thank you for the advice! He's still iffy on eating, but I've been tempting him with some of his favorite seafood and he can't resist!
I think he's protesting the new addition, lol

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
Theo only ate a few bites of his favorite food that I mentioned earlier, and he's less active than this morning/a little more lethargic.
I've tried a couple things to stimulate his appetite but he's just refusing now.
(Kitten and him are living in separate rooms, which has him upset, but he also doesn't really want to be around the kitten either)
I'm considering taking him to the vet but I'm really, really worried. Theo responds horribly to any form of stress/schedule change, I've come to find out, and I'm worried that the vet will stress him out more.
I've also lost a bit of trust in our current vet, based on their misdiagnosis last time which resulting in my Shiloh's passing. They were busy and they hardly looked her over before diagnosing her with an infection and giving some antibiotics telling me nothing else was wrong with her and she'll be fine by morning. She died overnight, and I suspect renal failure, as she showed all the right symptoms. But I don't know who else to go to that I can afford/can get me in. I'll be doing some research but in the meantime, I would love some more advice on getting him to eat!
Really trying not to panic <3
(He is still drinking and using the litter box.)

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him anything he wants! Boil him some chicken. Tuna in water. Favorite treats.

Glad you are looking into a new vet. We had to get a new one when ours suddenly moved (husband was military, which is fine and expected, but the clinic never told us she was gone (???) until I went to make an appointment and they were like oh yeah she doesn't work here anymore...thanks, guys...). Maybe he can prescribe some sort of anti anxiety medicine (kitty Xanax?) or have other ides on how to keep Theo's anxiety at bay.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I didn't end up taking Mr. Theo to the vet (was planning on it today if things didn't turn around)- and things are looking up! Last night I was almost in tears, praying that he would eat something.
Woke up in the wee hours of the morning to him taking a few bites, and he was ready for his breakfast at 10! He just finished dinner <3
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions! I know I shouldn't have freaked out as much as I did, but what can I say, he's my boy :redheartpump:
let's hope that's the end of the whole ordeal!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how much this would apply to Missouri but (seasonal shedding is probably in different times in different climates) two vets in Istanbul told me this week it's shedding season and that there might be hairball related issues like constipation, diarrhea, nausea, puking. They recommend hairball remedies like malt paste during this time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bringing home a newcomer is more upsetting to a resident cat then you think. Stress equals no eating. That and trying to change his diet most likely led to the eating strike. It takes a couple of weeks at the very least for him to begin to accept the little one. Let him discipline the little one, it is his right as the resident cat and the elder. Hissing, growling, swatting, and even pinning the kitten to the ground are all normal. Give him a little extra attention, some yummy treats such as shaved deli turkey, and he will come around!

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! He's already doing great, and I make sure to give him lots of attention/his own space!
He's eating normally now and very busy showing kitten who's boss during their supervised time. He seems to enjoy sitting high on his perch and just watching Remi (kitten). He looks so concerned and amused-
What is the small thing? Why is it acting so stupid?
He also gently licks Remi and cleans him up like a mama cat lol

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, don't panic. Whenever I panic or treat mine differently when she's not well, it makes it worse. They feed off your emotions, try treating him normally and not to feel different around him while working to fix the issue; whatever the issue is! That's my only advice as of now, good luck!