Worried about momma

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a female cat which turned out to be pregnant as she’d been stray. She gave birth to her kittens about 4-5 weeks ago. The kittens are slowly weaning off momma and only eating a tiny bit of food most comes from momma. The problem is she really doesn’t want to feed them and will feed them for a minute or two and be crying in pain and then run away from them. I’ve checked her today and the bottom two look very sore as that’s the two the kittens use the most. I’ve attached pictures below and would like to know if this looks normal and is just the kittens being tonight with momma and scratching and biting hard.

Around some off the nipples that the cats don’t use as much there rather swollen, hard and raised. Even quite far from the nipple it’s almost like there a hard sheet places under her skin on the und raise of her body.
A8C9AFC6-C66A-4B24-A749-A18F8984E5C7.jpeg

these are the bottom two. I’m assuming the crust is dried saliva? Not blood. I have cleaned her since taking the photo as she doesn’t.
6A1F48A4-3B4F-4BC4-A069-51390503664A.jpeg

This is of all of them, the other don’t look bad at all. But they are very hard and it’s not jsut around the nipple it spread quite far.

I understand no one can give expert advise and only a vet can. But this is my first time dealing with a momma cat and if I google it comes up with the worst like mastitis etc. I will get her booked to the vet. But they can’t see her for a few weeks unless it’s an emergency. Idk if I’m over worrying about my fur ball 😖 and it’s normal or if she is unwell.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whatever this is, you must apparently haste on with weaning of the kittens. And or supply feed them for hand... This will relieve the strain on momma.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! This is an EMERGENCY! This looks like mastitis. Please get her to a vet TODAY for antibiotics. There is no other way this will heal. She is suffering. She may also have a topical fungal infection.

In the meantime, apply a warm, wet compress to her mammary glands, in particular those most affected.

I will write more shortly about how to feed the kittens.

Jackmcbob Jackmcbob

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the kittens away from mama. Give them soft wet chicken pate cat food mixed with kitten formula into a soupy gruel on a flat plate. Put them in front of it. Put some on your finger for them to lick or put some on their mouths.

Also set out a dish of Purina dry kitten kibble.

Those who are ready to eat may do fine; however, at 4-5 weeks (which is it - 4 or 5?) they may not all be ready to wean. They are young. Most kittens wean more easily at 6-8 weeks. They do have their baby teeth now, right?

You may need to bottle or syringe feed the kittens who are not yet ready to wean for another 1-2 weeks. Get supplies at a pet store or from the vet. The vet or a pharmacy can give you a 5mL syringe. This is easiest for loading the soupy food mix. You can get a bottle, nipples, and PetAg kitten formula at a pet store.

Here is a helpful video on weaning kittens. Please watch and do as Kitten Lady does.

Keep in mind that the kittens may first need just formula, then slurry. If they will not accept the bottle, use a syringe.

All feedings are tummy down, head up, and go slow with the syringe so they have time to swallow.

Not all nipples have holes. You may have to puncture a hole yourself, and enlarge it slightly when necessary.

Feed every 4 hours around the clock at this stage.

Please let us know how both mom and kittens are doing!

Jackmcbob Jackmcbob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for you help! I thought I was overthinking and worrying as I always do.

I’ve kept an eye on her this morning and kept the kitten in a small pen away from her and they all eaten some kitten soft food I also have some kitten replacement milk which I’ll try with them later with the advice they are 5 weeks and 1 day.

Mommas nipples seem like there filling up. I’ve spoke to the vet and got her in for an emergency appointment for after I finish work tonight. I’ll keep you posted with what they say and how she’s doing.
image.jpg

here is a picture of the 7 little fluff balls. 💜

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are gorgeous! :redheartpump:

Did you try the warm, damp compress on mom’s belly? It will give a little relief.

Make sure the kittens are offered food or have access to food every 4 hours.

Good luck tonight with the appointment and keep us posted!

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I tried the warm damp compress she certainly did not like it. She’s had her appointment. And they have cleaned up the areas. And said she hasn’t got mastitis yet but she does have the start of an infection most likely and given her 200mg of amoxicillin twice a day. And also to remove her from the kittens and not allow them to feed of her, also to try to get them all on soft food and I between hand feed them the milk.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All kittens seems to be seal points. Momma too, i presume. So they may even be purebreds... Had you any occasion to check out for an ID-chip?

Serious breeders use to chip marks their breeding cats. but its not sure BYB breeders do.
In Sweden all purebreds are chipped by our FIFE associations regulations.
I have an understanding in USA its not that strickt, pet quality kittens arent always chipped. But a cat sold as pet quality is usually spayed before the sale.

So, she may be a breeding queen whom happened to come astray (rare but it certainly happens). Or may be someone from a BYB breeder... Whom likewise got astray.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt it would be a serious breeder, they are usually careful about getting out and never let them roam. Possibly a BYB. But two color points (even ones that are domestic long or short hair and are not purebreds) will always produce 100% color pointed kittens. So might not be purebreds but will have ragdoll or siamese in both of the parents genes.

What I recommend for weaning is a mix of kmr and kitten or all life stages wet food. Make it into a slurry so its easier for them to eat :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking mama kitty to the vet - your proaction likely saved her life! The antibiotics should help her heal quickly although the sudden weaning can caused engorged udders. It happens to women, too. You can ask the veterinarian about giving your kitty sage, parsley or lemon balm to help slow down milk production.

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About you mentioning her breed and purebreds. Obviously without any papers she’s considered a dsh. Although long story short ... the dad was the one I went to collect. (who I adopted from the same person who was my husbands grandmas sister lol she’s very old and can’t care for herself anymore so I said I’d take them in and she used to breed a few cats) he does have his papers as a Siamese and isn’t fixed. As I got there they also had her who was found as a stray not long back and asked if I wanted to take her in to and mentioned they had mated with the dad so they warned me she could possibly be pregnant. So one parent is pure the other we have no idea. the vet did say after examination of her that she looks like she’s had many kittens prior to these and she look around 1-3 years old. But regarding her breed with no papers what are you saying her look a like breed is? We were thinking Balinese due to the long fur and tail. But you mentioned rag doll?

and regarding her health thank you, I’ve already noticed the swelling and engorged udders there huge. She’s in a lot a pain so I will try some of the remedies that you mentioned ☺

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can let the kittens nurse if mom will allow it. Sometimes it is just too painful, but the amount of meds she is on will be negligible to the kittens through the milk. The main reason for keeping them apart is mom’s discomfort, but if it is too great she may choose to nurse.

Do you plan to neuter the male cat in the meantime?

Thank you for taking in these cats! :)

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay that’s great I’ve been having a nightmare of a time trying to stop her feeding them. She keep letting them now and then... I was worried the medicine will make the kitten sick. But if this is fine I’ll let her if she chooses too?

The male I’m not getting fixed only because he’s getting older now and inside only, and all my other cats are spayed and fixed. After she’s finished nursing I’m getting the momma fixed.

I have 10 cats now 🙀 not including the 7 kittens but they will be adopted out. I keep 5 indoor because of there breeds I don’t trust they won’t get stolen and there happy inside. The other 5 are outside which Were mostly strays.although I allow them inside if they choose to. I’ve said no more now, but everytime I see a poor baby in bad condition I can’t help it. I do have a ranch so there’s plenty of room for them all.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could we see a good pic on momma? The whole her? Side and face... Alternatively, you could post a question on her in the Describing Cats - What look alike forum...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww...little Meezers :loveeyes:. I agree with letting Mama Kitty nurse to take the edge off. The key is keeping the kittens well-fed prior to nursing. Also, consider clipping the sharp tips of their claws; be very certain that whoever does it is knowledgeable because you don't want them afraid of nail-trimming later on. They are so adorable :runningcat::coolcat::happycat:

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I’ve been feeding them soft food now and there even eating some kibble and only feeding from momma now and then and she allowing them for a short while, then as soon as it’s hurting her she will stop.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay that’s great I’ve been having a nightmare of a time trying to stop her feeding them. She keep letting them now and then... I was worried the medicine will make the kitten sick. But if this is fine I’ll let her if she chooses too?

The male I’m not getting fixed only because he’s getting older now and inside only, and all my other cats are spayed and fixed. After she’s finished nursing I’m getting the momma fixed.

I have 10 cats now 🙀 not including the 7 kittens but they will be adopted out. I keep 5 indoor because of there breeds I don’t trust they won’t get stolen and there happy inside. The other 5 are outside which Were mostly strays.although I allow them inside if they choose to. I’ve said no more now, but everytime I see a poor baby in bad condition I can’t help it. I do have a ranch so there’s plenty of room for them all.
I would still get the male fixed, with 10 cats you do really risk spraying issues. Plus he might wanna get outside to breed.