Worried about letting them outside

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of my cats stand by the door and look outside. There is a feral cat that I feed and they see her. She has been coming for 3 or 4 years. When I open the door not one of my cats run out even the kittens. In fact, many of them run the other way for fear I "may kick the out". Most of the outside cats want to come in and I even had one "Missy" who went off because I did not let her stay inside. She ran in the house one time but ran out when I came up to her. She wanted to go in and out I believe and that is too dangerous. I provide my cats with scratching posts, cat trees and plenty of toys.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have pretty low tolerance for cats crapping and pissing in my yard and people not cleaning it up its every bit as gross and rude as letting your dog crap and not picking it up. I will spray these cats with the garden hose on jet I also had a device called scarecrow it is a sprinkler with a motion sensor that activates if a cat walks in front of it.
You are a very good reason for why people should keep their cats indoors, safe.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no problem with people who leash their cats though. I just don't like people who let them wander around unsupervised.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think indoor would be safer and defiantly indoors until they are bigger/fully grown and fully vaccinated to be outdoor cats. However if you want to train them to go in your back yard with supervision, I would suggest you make it a routine. Same time every day, and you pull them in before dusk. Lastly when it comes to training them, maybe give them dinner or treats when they come inside? Would it be easier/safer to harness train them?

I had a family cat who was hit by a mini van and it broke her very last vertebrae. Also I used to live in an area with coyotes who routinely ate small dogs and cats. Indoor kitties live long lives :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Out here there are people who will shoot cats with worse things than a garden hose. Plus since it's semi rural the "right to defend property" excuse often comes up. Especially if there is chickens or livestock on the property.